SALEM (Canada ) Vinyl 1988

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
lunaboy

SALEM (Canada ) Vinyl 1988

Post by lunaboy »

Anyone hear about this one obescurity ? It's not fucking obscure 7" or demo. It's Vinyl and it's from 1988 !!! How come no one mentioned about this one in all these TheCorroseum existence years ???

DaN
Administructor

Re: SALEM (Canada ) Vinyl 1988

Post by DaN »

Nooooope, definitely haven't heard of this one before. Which is a very rare occurance nowdays I must say. Sounds quite good actually... not amazing but it's sort of proper 'US Metal' without being super-heavy or anything - the kind of album you want to find so you can trade it with some other crazy completist collector for something better, like IRON CROSS or whatever :lol:
johnnysteel

Post by johnnysteel »

FOUND ONE !!!!
Attachments
E5B188FC-4863-4C5C-875B-B1ABE8A2BD0E.jpeg
E5B188FC-4863-4C5C-875B-B1ABE8A2BD0E.jpeg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 3375 times
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Congratz! Set you back much? Was it worth it? Good? Bad? Godly? Awful? Smell? Taste? etc etc..
Also, u got pm.
johnnysteel

Post by johnnysteel »

DaN wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:21 pm Congratz! Set you back much? Was it worth it? Good? Bad? Godly? Awful? Smell? Taste? etc etc..
Also, u got pm.
Hey thanks man!!! Smells great, holding off in the taste test for the time being hahahaha.

Musically it’s great. Very very talented musicians, ripping guitar solos, COOL , rough, unpolished but somewhat melodic / melancholic vocals. Can’t really say they sound exactly like anybody else, but I’ve played it a few times and have been making comparisons in my head to Sacred Blade, Lord Ryur, Solar Eagle and Slauter Xstroyes (maybe SX due mainly to the bass tone in a few spots, very prominent, in a good way!) The songs are varied in speed, with a few slower ones, a few heavier ones, at least one very long song(7 or 9 minutes probably, I haven’t checked) and just the right amount of clunk over the whole thing. I keep returning to the Sacred Blade comparison when trying to think of similar bands, and I think that’s due to a few things. Obviously both Canadian, similar cool but slightly “off” (in a good way!) vocalists. And mainly I think the variety of styles (I don’t even know how to really explain but I think most will know what I mean, how the Sacred Blade LP (which I LOOOVE) flows in a very different way than let’s say Omen - Battle Cry or an early Exciter record. Omen and Exciter are both pretty consistent, while Sacred Blade really mixes it up through the course of that album. This one is less frenzied than Of the Sun + Moon, but subconsciously I have already filed it away mentally right next to Of the Sun + Moon, if that makes sense??

As far as price, it was sent to me as a gift, but I asked if there was any way I could send some money, to cover shipping expenses and some extra as a thank you.

Long story short (and without giving away all my secrets) I ended up getting in touch with the daughter of the drummer. She told me he was in the hospital with stage 4 cancer but gave me his phone number and said he’d love to talk. so I gave him a call and we talked for almost an hour the first time. About life, family, music, hockey, etc…we ended up talking several more times and really getting to know each other. He knew I’d been reaching out originally in search of the record, and said he thought he had a copy somewhere. He told me he’d send it to me if he made it out. We talked several more times through phone calls and text, but he really wasn’t doing well. Then one day I texted a few times and called, but no replies. After a few days I checked the daughters Facebook page and saw she’d shared his obituary. I was gutted, had really grown to like this guy. So I reached out to the daughter to give my condolences, and to say thanks for getting me in touch with her dad. Told her how much it meant to me that I got to know him like I did. She responded and told me they’d found a copy of the record while cleaning out his stuff and wanted me to have it.

So that’s the story I guess. Kept it as short as I could. Needless to say it’s a very special record to me, in more ways than one. But a cool one regardless of any backstory.