Celtic Frost "Morbid Tales" versions

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
steelreign

Celtic Frost "Morbid Tales" versions

Post by steelreign »

Hello all -

I have been collecting CF vinyls since they first appeared in the mid 80's. All this time, there has been confusion regarding exactly which of the 2 first Noise pressings came out first... the version with the "ex-Hellhammer members" sticker, or the one with the plain front. I am aware of all the versions of this LP, as I own many copies of each, so an explanation of this is not necessary. But I have spoken to some reputable CF collectors like myself that swear the plain, sticker-less version came first (and I also agree with this), but yet other sources claim the opposite. I have read hundreds of message board entries, and there is always ambiguity. I know all about the Discogs page, but I question the authenticity of it's claim that the stickered version is the 1st version to appear. As someone who lives in the U.S., this album came to us as an import, so it really would have been almost impossible for us Americans to tell at the time of it's release, because the sticker was added/removed within a short time period, by all accounts. So, my question is for those in Europe that were around at the time of its' release... or anyone with advanced knowledge of this release, which one of these were the very first to hit the shelves? It's time to settle this mystery.... thanks!

Brian
DaN
Administructor

Re: Celtic Frost "Morbid Tales" versions

Post by DaN »

I'm at least fairly certain the version with the printed stripe in the upper left corner is a later pressing. I bought this version in 1987 and by then I figure the original pressing would be sold out.

I can't help wondering if the sticker/no sticker versions are even to be considered 2 different pressings at all. Maybe they just didn't make enough stickers? If you wanna be sure I guess we should compare run-out etchings. I can check my copy at home tomorrow...
Morton

Post by Morton »

I bought the ep as it came out the same day and it has the sticker on it.

A later pressing had the printed stripe in the upper left corner as far as I remember.
steelreign

Post by steelreign »

OK, great. Thanks for the replies. Yes, I knew that the 3rd pressing had the words in the upper left corner, but the real question is whether or not the 2 versions before this came out at the same time, or the stickered version came later after the inner sleeves changed. That is kind of a give away, since if the inner sleeve advertised releases that came out after the 6 song EP came out, then obviously the stickered version of the record came out later, yeah? Two of my "1st press" copies have the same Noise inner sleeve with ads showing Hellhammer, etc... what does the one with the sticker have?
CF.jpg
CF.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 7833 times
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I have the no sticker/no stripe version too and my inner sleeve looks the same (the other side it white). Includes poster and the labels are black with silver print.

Etchings:
Mastered by SNB N 0017 A
Mastered by SNB N 0017 B

(both hand-etched)
steelreign

Post by steelreign »

Yes, mine are exactly the same. All the pics I have seen of the stickered version has a plain white inner sleeve (or at least the plain side is showing in the pics) ? Can anyone confirm this?