Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
humus

Re: Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

Post by humus »

To be honest, if I were to see my collection as an investment I would sell it now. It might go up a bit more (and certain records will always keep increasing, but that's not representative for the entire market) but I can't see prices continuing to rise.

On one hand you have a new generation of collectors (usually with a beard) who are responsible for the vinyl hype of the last 10 years. But I don't see a great deal of them sticking to collecting, and even if they do, there's not a lot of people in that group that jump from new vinyl to spending top dollar for vintage pressings of metal records.

The higher prices now are caused by...well...us. Average age here is quite high (I'm probably one of the young 'uns and I'm in my mid 30's) and for many of us there is disposable income that can be spent on records. And if you're somewhat of age, you already have a lot of records. So combine those two and it's easy to see why people can drop a lot of money on one record. Why are NWOBHM rarities so expensive? An aging group of collectors with kids out of the house and mortgages paid of.

I'd put some money on the highest bidder of that Flames of hell record or Sodom shirt not being under 30 years of age. At least here in Belgium I know most of the big collectors, and only a few are younger than me. Who will keep paying top dollar in 20 years for our records?
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

Indeed, it is really frustrating these days with all those prices. I don't know where to search for records anymore....

When I discovered Discogs about 9 years ago, it was really an awesome place to escape from all the Ebay prices, and a place where real bargains were still possible. It became my main source for records, and I had like 30 orders a year there, including some really great finds. After some time the wantlist option was included, and it got already more difficult to catch those bargains, because you did not have to search actively for a record anymore. Everyone who had a certain LP on his wantlist got served with all new offers from that record, and if it was cheap, it disappeared immediately. Before this wantlist option, I remember seeing the "Soldier in Time" LP being offered for 15$ and it was there for at least 2 days. It would from now on disappear after 2 hours....It was still a nice place to dig, until they included the price history. I knew that from that moment on, it would be impossible to find anything cheap anymore. And since then, I don't even order ten times a year anymore. Of course it is much easier for sellers to find out how to price a record, but from the buyer's point of view (at least for me) it got a bit uninteresting with no cheap offers anymore....The best thing from the price history for me is to remember me how great Discogs used to be, and it is interesting to see what bargains other people did find there in the early years....

But I think also the prices of new relases have made increase the prices of old "common" records. The majority still prefers an original version, but if a reissue of (let's say) Ozzy or Maiden already costs 25$, then for most people an original record from the 80's is also worth at least that price. The perception of a value of a record has changed. When new releases did cost 15$, 30$ for a semirare record seemed a lot. But since nowadays brandnew releases cost 25-30$, it seems like a new standard for records in general. I guess it is a normal thing with the growing interest in vinyl, but still it feels strange, that just 10 years ago, you could buy the whole discography of well known artists for the same amount of money that you nowadays get just one album.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Nightcrawler wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 am When new releases did cost 15$, 30$ for a semirare record seemed a lot. But since nowadays brandnew releases cost 25-30$, it seems like a new standard for records in general. I guess it is a normal thing with the growing interest in vinyl, but still it feels strange, that just 10 years ago, you could buy the whole discography of well known artists for the same amount of money that you nowadays get just one album.
I don't know how old you are but back in "my days" when i used to go out a glass of beer was less than 1euro, nowadays in most pubs a beer is almost 3 euro.. same with cigarettes ..when i was much younger i smoked and a package was like 1.25euro, now its 8euro?? I quit smoking 15 years ago so i don't know for sure. When my grandfather was still alive he always said that a bread was like a few cents ( me as a kid: OMG ...yeah yeah...)..now its more than 2euro...sometimes 2.5euro...I grew up when new records in Belgium were 280BF (7euro) 500BF (12.50euro) was expensive and import...so yes..young people don't mind spending 10 euro on a cocktail..i find this EXPENSIVE 10euro for a margerita???...just my two cents (2.70euro nowadays)
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

humus wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:52 am Who will keep paying top dollar in 20 years for our records?
no one...they're just old records of bands unknown..maybe only the big bands these youngsters will recognise..but those obscure ones/singles that i paid sometimes top dollar for...nah!..worthless i think within 20 years for those kids and when these kids have better jobs and can pay top prices we're all dead and everything was for sale in thrift stores because our grandchildren/kids don't know how to handle a big collection and give it to charity.. no high hopes here! I just enjoy them now and when i'm dead, i don't think i will loose some sleep for it.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
borrel

Post by borrel »

humus

Post by humus »

He's making a ton of money...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DISORDER-Issue ... 4616339961
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DISORDER-Issue ... 4616341964
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FETU-Issue-No- ... 4604003892
https://www.ebay.com/itm/INZINERATOR-Is ... 4610084219

Looking at his feedback at least the guy that bought FETU paid for his zine and received it.
Nice collection he has/had though. An Englisman with so many Dutch zines, could it be the guy that used to do the underground newsletter or whatever it was called?

Like ten years ago there was a small period of time where two guys were constantly having bidding wars on old zines. Back then you could still see the username of the highest bidder so I contacted him and offloaded some of my old spare zines for like $100 a piece. That guy was Australian if I remember correct.
Lama

Post by Lama »

I've sold some Dutch-written Hell Spawn-issues to an Australian guy (via Deathmetal.be :D ) something like ten years ago... He didn't mind that he couldn't read them, which seemed kind of odd to me. Maybe this could be the same guy?
Kampel Destruction
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

And postage yet isn't even included in that price :lol:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Impressive. Especially so as records are hardly being sold on eBay at all anymore.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Could be an interesting candidate ... :lol:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/BATHORY-Bathory ... %7Ciid%3A1
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HALLOWEEN-dont ... 1438.l2649
:shock:
When did this one entered the 200+ league?