Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Prowler

Re: Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

Post by Prowler »

You think that was cheap? :D I missed one in 2003 for 105 Euro as second highest bidder. And 1996 I could have bought one for 200 DM but didn't know the band at this point. When I got a dub via tapedtrading 2 months later I wanted to bite my own ass coz the record was already sold then.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

It probably is going to increase still. But I hate reserve prices, it kills the magic of bidding...
Considering its price and rarity (and also the fact that I don’t find the music amazing), it sure is something I’ll never hunt.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

I also think it’s a bit sad, as starting to look for rare records is something that’s getting near impossible for beginners. All cool and rare records reach crazy prices by now, as everybody knows what they’re buying. You still can make bargains here and there, but otherwise, you have to look for reissues. And they are plenty of them, which is great, as those killer records need to be available for the metal generations to come!
humus

Post by humus »

Prowler wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:52 am You think that was cheap? :D I missed one in 2003 for 105 Euro as second highest bidder. And 1996 I could have bought one for 200 DM but didn't know the band at this point. When I got a dub via tapedtrading 2 months later I wanted to bite my own ass coz the record was already sold then.
250$ is by no means cheap but compared to what they sold a bit later on (mainly due to Dan's review and that bootleg CD), yes, that was very cheap.
Anyway, it is what it is, and nowadays for me it's a highly overpriced record that acts more as a status symbol for the serious record collector than anything else. On that note, somebody sell me a Yellow goat please.

And yes, if you're new to record collecting you better have deep pockets OR love ugly coloured vinyls. If you have a wide view (both in genres and in formats) you can still find some nice stuff from time to time. If you're vinyl only and let's say only interested in US metal, I assume it's just frustrating.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Haha, so true about the ugly colour vinyls!!! Some labels clearly abuse of that sophistication... Guess there is a « market » for that. Stay true, stay black!!!
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Seriously, if I had to start nowadays with all that record collecting shit, I'd never do that again. You can get almost all music on the net for free and the prices that people ask for records nowadays are simply insane (look at all those buy now Ebay auctions or Discogs). And yeah Flames of Hell LP has become a status symbol in collectors circles (I expect that most owners don't even like it, coz it's not of the style they usually buy), but I was fascinated by that album right when I heard it back in 1996. And I didn't know it was limited to only 50 copies back then and I wouldn't have really cared. I still buy records for the music and I actually play them and sealed records will be unsealed immediately. :wink: :lol:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Prowler wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:26 pmthe prices that people ask for records nowadays are simply insane (look at all those buy now Ebay auctions or Discogs)
I totally agree. Oldtimers are killing the record collecting hobby because they charge prices newcomers can't afford, or refuse to pay. And so, there won't be enough influx of new collectors to the hobby to keep it going. It's a bubble, and it'll burst sooner or later.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I had a weird conversation with a guy yesterday, he was telling me about a cassette he got offered $600 for. Nothing unique to me and I would sell any tape I have for that amount if someone had to have it. Within minutes after that he was telling me how broke he is. WTF?!? I guess he just does not make the connection...
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Khnud wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:45 pm
Prowler wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:26 pmthe prices that people ask for records nowadays are simply insane (look at all those buy now Ebay auctions or Discogs)
I totally agree. Oldtimers are killing the record collecting hobby because they charge prices newcomers can't afford, or refuse to pay. And so, there won't be enough influx of new collectors to the hobby to keep it going. It's a bubble, and it'll burst sooner or later.
Well oldtimers are also charging more than an oldtimer can afford. At this point I no longer care. I look around now and again and hope to find something interesting. Sometimes have some luck but mostly strike out. What else can we do?
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

It is not insane. It is ridiculous! People ask for 30-50€ for every common 80’s record that should be priced around 10$.
I haven’t seen a “real” auction starting from a low price at eBay for ages.
10000$ for the Militia demo!
I think you all have seen some super-rarities listed lately by a Brazilian seller!

https://www.discogs.com/Rata-Blanca-El- ... se/5414668

This is an example that points out the “mechanism”! Someone for some reason paid 230€ for a 35€ (I would say 50€!) record and the next one selling it asks for 650€ (ok, fully signed including signature of dead member, but 650€???).

This is not insane. This is ridiculous!

I hope this bubble bursts soon!
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Well, as long as people keep paying high prices, prices keep growing... I wish the bubble would explode, but it doesn’t seem to be happening yet. And in 50 years, the reissues of today will be highly sought after, and the originals will just be unafordable.
But maybe plastic will be definetly banned by 2070...
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

I believe prices will go down soon.
What is happening with vinyl prices is exactly what is happening with all economy in capital accumulation crisis in capitalism.
Of course prices will not reach 90’s standards and “hunting stories” like those posted in another thread belong in the past, because times goes by and adds to the value of old collectible stuff like vinyl records, but this “out of this world” ridiculousness of today’s market is legislative that it will stop.
This has happened before with other kinds of music.
I don’t know exactly why this is happening now with heavy metal. Maybe it is this “NWOTHM movement” that has drawn more “fans” to collecting old metal vinyl. And more buyers means more people that are able to pay high prices. More likely is that it is a result of capital accumulation as I said before, like footballers’ values. And it is 100% sure that it will lead to a crisis.
This coronavirus Crisis will accelerate the global economic bubble bursting in my opinion. Wages globally go down, unemployment and poverty is in its highest level. It is outrageous vinyl prices to keep rising or even stay at today’s standards.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

I think there’s a growing interest in metal those past years, which can be clearly seen with all those huge festivals getting sold out so quickly. So more people willing to discover stuff and dive into those cool records. Which is a great thing also, this music deserves to be enjoyed as much as possible!
Decibel_Rebel

Post by Decibel_Rebel »

The bubble will burst eventually (I am waiting for that for at least 10 years), but before that, the prices will probably rise even more. I believe the potential high inflation caused by the current events will lead people into rescuing their money into material assets (unfortunately Metal records are being seen as that in the last years). Only when need has become great, people will be forced to focus on the crucial necessities again. Then, the time of dropping prices has come.