Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Spinal

Re: Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

Post by Spinal »

"Back of plain cover has a small yellow stain."

I wonder what the price would have been without the stain?
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Made an offer of 12.50....,eagerly awaiting a reply...

:lol:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

wicked keeper wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:06 am Made an offer of 12.50....,eagerly awaiting a reply...

:lol:
Considering the price history (which is also insane, but in the other direction), your offer is right on the money. :-D
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Anyone else saw this one!?

Probably my main wants from south america, only the third time I see it for sale. :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 14.03.38.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 14.03.38.png (131.66 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

$2 million us dollars. That is funny.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

As someone who has never bought anything from Ebay or discogs, what's the point of those insanely high prices? I'm sure they know nobody's gonna pay that much. Is it just to drive attention to it? Or maybe to set some sort of precedent so they can sell it later to a much smaller but still high price and make it look cheap in coparison? Or in discogs, is it to drive up the price average to sell it at a higher price later on?
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

Cochino wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:54 pm As someone who has never bought anything from Ebay or discogs, what's the point of those insanely high prices? I'm sure they know nobody's gonna pay that much. Is it just to drive attention to it? Or maybe to set some sort of precedent so they can sell it later to a much smaller but still high price and make it look cheap in coparison? Or in discogs, is it to drive up the price average to sell it at a higher price later on?
Someone said once and maybe it was said here, that people sometimes do that to brag.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

You mean as in show off they own that item?
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

Cochino wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:11 am You mean as in show off they own that item?
Yes precisely.
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

If that's the case, that's a really insipid thing to do. Anyone could list an item on Discogs as far as I know. Typical human behaviour, though.
humus

Post by humus »

It's down to $2000.
Another motif: he's accepting offers. Put a crazy price and your item will get attention (the proof...us talking about it). If he had put it at $500 with offers accepted fewer people would have seen it, and the chances of getting a decent offer would have been lower.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, that makes more sense though I wouldn't be surprised if some people really did it to show off.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Yes, I've said it before and I say it again: eBay and particularly Discogs are rapidly becoming online showrooms for collectors. To flaunt what they own, without the intent of selling anything in their collection. Ever.

That is why I'm constantly pestering Discogs with requests to implement listing fees for items with prices way above the current max sold price. Without luck so far.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
humus

Post by humus »

Khnud wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:48 pmThat is why I'm constantly pestering Discogs with requests to implement listing fees for items with prices way above the current max sold price. Without luck so far.
From a Discogs point of view = more listings, even at ridiculous prices = more chances of sales = more income.
They do not care if it's annoying for buyers. They will only care if it annoys buyers to the level buyers would start to avoid Discogs, but seeing their sales increase every month that is not the case.

In an ideal world they'd make two type of accounts. Business accounts with unlimited listings and a fixed fee per month. Private accounts with a maximum number of listings per month.

Fees based on sold item prices would cause some issues. Some records have unrealistic prices because only one copy sold, and it was a cheap one in bad condition without the cover, or an expensive testpress sold on the regular vinyl listing etc.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

humus wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:37 am From a Discogs point of view = more listings, even at ridiculous prices = more chances of sales = more income.
They do not care if it's annoying for buyers. They will only care if it annoys buyers to the level buyers would start to avoid Discogs, but seeing their sales increase every month that is not the case.
Not necessarily. In the end it's better to make 10% profit on 100 items sold at $10 each than making 10% profit on 20 items sold at $40 each.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight