Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

mordred wrote:Or maybe you can get a Hammer Witch EP with warped record for 78 bucks and a Hammer Witch EP whose cover pooped on and partly eaten by dog for 50 bucks... much cheaper than buying record and cover in nice shape at the same time. :wink:
No no no, it is CLEARLY proof that collectors never play their records and instead throw their money around buying unplayable records just so they can stroke their ego by owning a copy. Didn't you read Prowler's profoundly logical, well thought-out post? Come on. Buying a cheap copy of a record so you can upgrade the cover on the copy you already own? That's laughable. What are you going to claim next, that the person who bought it actually like Hammer Witch and didn't just buy it so he can boast about having a copy? ROTFL
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Decibel_Rebel

Post by Decibel_Rebel »

I have never met a person who collects rare metal records but does not even like metal or listen to them. To me this sounds like a modern urban legend, but probably I'm wrong. Anyway it's still hard to believe. Those people can collect anything else that has a wider acceptance in general, but metal records?
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Decibel_Rebel wrote:I have never met a person who collects rare metal records but does not even like metal or listen to them. To me this sounds like a modern urban legend, but probably I'm wrong. Anyway it's still hard to believe. Those people can collect anything else that has a wider acceptance in general, but metal records?
I know a guy who collects sealed CDs and will never open them. One cannot really claim that he buys them for the intent of playing them. So there does exist some crazy / weird collectors.
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

I collect hard rock and metal but can you keep a secret??????

I am a Polka lover !!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

chatzial wrote:I collect hard rock and metal but can you keep a secret??????

I am a Polka lover !!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is there a probelm with Polka. :lol: :lol:
"I am NOT a collector"
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Why tell how to flatten or show the unit to do so.
When I already said THIS record can not be flattened.

Do you think I just type that stuff to have something to type

Never mind, I'm going home to listen to my Polka Records
"I am NOT a collector"
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Decibel_Rebel wrote:I have never met a person who collects rare metal records but does not even like metal or listen to them. To me this sounds like a modern urban legend, but probably I'm wrong. Anyway it's still hard to believe. Those people can collect anything else that has a wider acceptance in general, but metal records?
There are more of them than you may think. They just don't have the balls to out themselves, because they do know themself that this is absolutely insane. :wink:
Just take a look thru the Metalpage collectors ring and see how many proudly list their top 10 raries as "still sealed". Well that's true dedication to Heavy Metal I say!
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Prowler wrote:
There are more of them than you may think. They just don't have the balls to out themselves, because they do know themself that this is absolutely insane. :wink:
Just take a look thru the Metalpage collectors ring and see how many proudly list their top 10 raries as "still sealed". Well that's true dedication to Heavy Metal I say!
Me, as an outsider, I have already spoken my mind about the "heavenly made" world of collectors, but I can be accused of being subjective and biased. Prowler is maybe not the most lovable guy around and his attitude is (or sounds) sometimes insulting and degrading, but he speaks from the insider's point of view (as he can be considered as a "collector" himself). So why the rest react so badly instead of admiting that these things actually DO happen?
Decibel_Rebel

Post by Decibel_Rebel »

Priamos wrote:
Prowler wrote:
Me, as an outsider, I have already spoken my mind about the "heavenly made" world of collectors, but I can be accused of being subjective and biased. Prowler is maybe not the most lovable guy around and his attitude is (or sounds) sometimes insulting and degrading, but he speaks from the insider's point of view (as he can be considered as a "collector" himself). So why the rest react so badly instead of admiting that these things actually DO happen?
All of you are right, of course these collectors do exist that keep their copies sealed, hell knows why. But in my post I did refer mostly to people collecting metal records but being completely outside that scene, not even listening to Metal. That's what I'm reading here from time to time but can't believe someone wastes his/her time to collect that genre. Those people could focus e.g. on Krautrock, that's a field they can spend much more money and which is maybe more suitable for colloquies at cocktail-parties etc.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Speaking for myself, I didn't claim that these collectors don't listen/like heavy metal at all. But it's obvious that they do like the item even more. You don't spend xxx $ more to get a sealed copy just to throw the additional bucks in the dustbin in a few seconds by tearing up the wrap. You don't waste some (many) extra bucks by playing the record often. You use it and want it mostly as a trophy, as an asset. You can't risk destroying and spoiling such a rare and expensive item. You can be content with listening to mp3s or youtube and just watch it or even caress it (carefully!!!!).
Why this attitude seems quite "reasonable" and common to me, while some of you deny even the possibility?
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

I would love a collection of still sealed top rarities that are possibly warped beyond playability thus utterly useless
slayerhatesusall2

Post by slayerhatesusall2 »

Glockose wrote:Why tell how to flatten or show the unit to do so.
When I already said THIS record can not be flattened.

Do you think I just type that stuff to have something to type

Never mind, I'm going home to listen to my Polka Records
Can't tell by the ad whether it can be flattened or not since they didn't even take a photo of the record, just saying maybe the buyer thought they could fix it since there was no photo of the actual record in the ad to show how bad the warp was.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Priamos wrote: Prowler is maybe not the most lovable guy around and his attitude is (or sounds) sometimes insulting and degrading, but he speaks from the insider's point of view (as he can be considered as a "collector" himself).
Eh, my wife says I'm worth to be loved ... lol
However please don't call me "collector", I'm Metal fan. Being called "collector" just degrades me, and I really don't want to be thrown in the same cauldron like people who call themself collectors.
Priamos wrote: So why the rest react so badly instead of admiting that these things actually DO happen?
The answer is simple, because they do not want to hear the truth although they know it or even belong to that category mentioned above. Maybe if it would not have been I who said that the reaction would be more accepted, but if the Antichrist himself is coming up with such a thesis it just can't be true. It should not be true. The Antichrist can't be right ... not the Antichrist! haha
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Prowler wrote:

However please don't call me "collector", I'm Metal fan. Being called "collector" just degrades me, and I really don't want to be thrown in the same cauldron like people who call themself collectors.

Maybe if it would not have been I who said that the reaction would be more accepted, but if the Antichrist himself is coming up with such a thesis it just can't be true. It should not be true. The Antichrist can't be right ... not the Antichrist! haha
Ha,ha...The first one is decent and reasonable claim and I will respect it.
But don't flatter yourself. Avenger was the real Antichrist and I wonder where he is lost...Probably found at last himself a girlfriend! :P :lol:
But I should n't speak like this for him , otherwise when he return he'll make threads under my name,having me admitted that I created napster originally to fuck Metallica, that I take the Nuclear Blast promos and upload them on blogs, that I fucked Bruce Dickinson's wife etc... :lol:
lox

Post by lox »

Priamos wrote:I fucked Bruce Dickinson's wife
You did not? Quite disappointing... :(

Of course there are those collectors who rarely listen to their records. I just bought a sealed copy from a rich (I assume) german dentist for 130€. He bought 2 copies of that LP and told me he never got into opening it because he felt it would destroy the value, which it obviously would. This might be more rare in metal circles but no reason to believe it does not exist.

I'm happy I got a perfect sounding LP & and the rich guy got more money and is happy too. :D Capitalism works.