Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch (2013)

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Ryür

Post by Ryür »

Decibel_Rebel wrote:The Vinyl Bubble will burst sooner or later, that's for sure. I believe it will happen in less than 10 years, maybe only 5 years. Then, normality will be back regarding prices. Looking forward to this date.

In the last months I took advantage of this trend by selling some standard LPs for thrice the price than I've bought some years ago. I hope I will be able to get them cheap again in the future.
I agree :D
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Ryür wrote:
Decibel_Rebel wrote:The Vinyl Bubble will burst sooner or later, that's for sure. I believe it will happen in less than 10 years, maybe only 5 years. Then, normality will be back regarding prices. Looking forward to this date.

In the last months I took advantage of this trend by selling some standard LPs for thrice the price than I've bought some years ago. I hope I will be able to get them cheap again in the future.
Oh yes.Bubble will burst and we ALL can find LEATHER NUNN , STREET CHILD , LORD RYUR at every records record shop for 1 USD in special metal records bins.What a day it will be !!!

P.S We still living ir REAL WORLD so there's no way prces will drop.And a lot of pals before explained situation.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

lunaboy wrote:
Ryür wrote:

Oh yes.Bubble will burst and we ALL can find LEATHER NUNN , STREET CHILD , LORD RYUR at every records record shop for 1 USD in special metal records bins.What a day it will be !!!

P.S We still living ir REAL WORLD so there's no way prces will drop.And a lot of pals before explained situation.
Maybe not these records you mention, but you will find Atlain, Noishunter, Satan and every freaking normal record in its normal price, what he says is pretty simple. You don't see a trend in record collecting or even vinyl coming back? Labels saw a chance for some bucks though...
Never trust the Goblin King....
Ryür

Post by Ryür »

Trigger wrote:
lunaboy wrote:
Ryür wrote:

Maybe not these records you mention, but you will find Atlain, Noishunter, Satan and every freaking normal record in its normal price, what he says is pretty simple. You don't see a trend in record collecting or even vinyl coming back? Labels saw a chance for some bucks though...
Exactly, by these means the flight price too.
An example, I just saw this on ebay at ridiculous price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONSTER-HARD-RO ... 5657f9f058

I think that makes some time was sold much more expensive, only 100 copies were published in Peru, and I found him here (Perú) for 3 euros. They realize? prices are sentenced by the same circle of "Obscure Heavy Metal" ... ridiculous.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Ryür wrote:
Trigger wrote:
lunaboy wrote:

Exactly, by these means the flight price too.
An example, I just saw this on ebay at ridiculous price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONSTER-HARD-RO ... 5657f9f058

I think that makes some time was sold much more expensive, only 100 copies were published in Peru, and I found him here (Perú) for 3 euros. They realize? prices are sentenced by the same circle of "Obscure Heavy Metal" ... ridiculous.
Sorry but i can't understand what you're saying . My english is just terrible but yours... Sorry.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Trigger wrote:Maybe not these records you mention, but you will find Atlain, Noishunter, Satan and every freaking normal record in its normal price, what he says is pretty simple. You don't see a trend in record collecting or even vinyl coming back? Labels saw a chance for some bucks though...
There is no such thing as "normal" price. The only thing that is normal for prices is to slowly rise all the time.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Ryür

Post by Ryür »

Sorry my english realy sucks
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

mordred wrote:
Trigger wrote:Maybe not these records you mention, but you will find Atlain, Noishunter, Satan and every freaking normal record in its normal price, what he says is pretty simple. You don't see a trend in record collecting or even vinyl coming back? Labels saw a chance for some bucks though...
There is no such thing as "normal" price. The only thing that is normal for prices is to slowly rise all the time.
Don't mix inflation in the game, there's nothing that can escape normality, so does the price-product combo.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Trigger wrote:
mordred wrote:
Don't mix inflation in the game, there's nothing that can escape normality, so does the price-product combo.
"Normality" is exactly what Mordred argues above: that the price is a function of supply and demand. The supply on rare 80s and 90s records will, for the most part, not increase in the years to come. If the prices are to decrease, then the demand must go down. Why should it? Generally, people's disposable incomes are increasing.

The only way this could be a "bubble" is if there is lots of speculation and most peoiple are buying records as an investment. I find this extremely unlikely as it is such a closed market and needs such a lot of investment of time and effort to get into.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I will say, that if I walked into ANY record store in Oregon, and I saw these 3 records, I would be stunned. You just never see these kind of 'common' records anymore in shops around here. You do randomly see some common old metal record, but very rare. Once a year there is a 'big' record show in my town. There are dealers all over from the west cost selling here. The rarest metal record I saw in the entire dealers room was Holocaust 'HM Mania", I have never seen one in the wild in the US in all the years of collecting. But good luck at finding a vintage Razor or Exciter lp at the show, they just are not here.
Trigger wrote: Maybe not these records you mention, but you will find Atlain, Noishunter, Satan and every freaking normal record in its normal price,
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Chatz- you're right, I worded that poorly. My point was that a lot of people start collecting heavy metal records in their teens when they have little money, but once people complete college, get a solid job, etc, then they have more money, and that is when they are able and willing to spend more money on their hobby. A great example is the huge boom in collecting of items from the 1950s that began in the late 80s-early 90s. The baby boomers had grown up, gotten jobs, and were finally capable of spending money to buy things they wanted from their youth. They couldn't do so earlier (in the 60s-70s) because they were too young to have enough disposable income for such things.

Re: 'normal' records- I agree w/ doomedplanet, you never see such 'normal' records in stores or record shows around here. I've been looking for metal records at shows for over 20 years; the only time I saw a rare, big-money record at a show was when glockose had a copy of 'Power Games' on purple vinyl. I've seen one Valhalla 12" EP. Most shows, it's a big deal if there's a copy of a Witchfinder General LP, and you can practically forget ever seeing a 7" that is noteworthy. In the local store that I check at least once per month, the best thing I've ever seen was a used copy of 'Battle Hymns'.

Our perception of 'normal' is skewed; it varies a lot from place to place, and what is 'normal' online does not translate into 'normal' in the real world.

Re: vinyl trends- at least in the US, there is currently a boom in interest in vinyl. It has become cool again in the retro sense, so a lot of young people have started buying it, this after 20+ years of there being almost zero interest in vinyl in the US.

Re: vinyl prices: Don't be too quick to assume that prices will only go up in the future. What goes up, eventually comes down. Ask anyone who used to collect any of the following:
-comic books
-baseball cards
-beanie babies
-stamps
These were all once HOT collectibles. Nowadays you can barely give such things away, save for the few Holy Grail-type items.
Right now demand is high for metal vinyl overall, so prices are high. But demand isn't high for all metal records:
-Nwobhm items sell for a fraction of what they did 10 years ago.
-Obscure US singles are selling much cheaper than they did just 2-3 years ago.
Examples for those who don't pay attention:
-Pali Gap $8 (used to be $30+ easily)
-JJs Powerhouse $21 (used to be $75)
-Bent Sirkis $250 (used to be over $500)
-unknown US singles were bringing a minimum of $50 2-3 years ago; now many sell for $20-30.

Eventually, some of the current collectors (young and old) will quit collecting (for various reasons). Unless new collectors are added to the scene, demand will drop, and then prices will drop. This has been happening with 'golden oldies' records for awhile now. In the 90s, when the baby boomers were at the height of their collector frenzy, prices for 50s-60s vinyl went through the roof. But now, 20 years later, those prices are a fraction of what they used to be for most items. The Boomers have gotten into their retirement years. They're dying. They're selling their collections. But younger folks don't want the records b/c very few of them listen to those styles of music. The supply is still relatively small, but the demand has dropped significantly. Rockabilly records that sold for $3,000 in the mid 90s would probably peak at $1,000 today. Doo-wop LPs that used to bring several hundred have trouble reaching $100 at auction. The 20- and 30-year olds are buying Manilla Road and Mercyful Fate and Satan; they are not interested in Shep and the Limelights, Boyd Bennett & the Rockets, or the Kingpins.
This is one reason it's always funny to see old fart collectors mocking young, new collectors. If you want a hobby to continue to thrive, if you want interest to remain in the subject, you have to bridge the generation gap to attract more fans and collectors. While most of those 50s-60s records have little appeal to anyone under the age of 50, the old Blues records still sell pretty well. It's not because Amos Milburn and John Lee Hooker were better than The Crests and Neil Sedeka; it's because Blues bridged the generation gap, so there is still viable interest in old Blues music among younger people.

The future of metal vinyl is unpredictable. If younger generations continue to enjoy it, then yes, prices will steadily climb with time (adjusting for economics, reissues, digital music, etc). But, if 10 years from now the current vinyl craze passes, we old collectors stop buying (for whatever reason), and kids decide that metal is 'dinosaur music' and they only listen to music made by chimps playing with dental instruments and cookware, then Megadeth, Salems Wych, and Agalloch vinyl will sell for a fraction of their current prices.

This is why I only buy/collect records that I personally like. If the price tanks someday, at least I enjoy the music I own, rather than sitting on a bunch of 'investments' that are now worthless and that I don't even want to listen to.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Very nice post.

BUT this line is a lot better then you think. :lol:

nightsblood wrote:and they only listen to music made by chimps playing with dental instruments and cookware .
"I am NOT a collector"
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

nightsblood wrote:Our perception of 'normal' is skewed; it varies a lot from place to place, and what is 'normal' online does not translate into 'normal' in the real world.
That is technically why some prices have went down plenty of records are "rare" in the wild and would command big prices before the internet, but suddenly there are hundreds willing to sell it that is all it takes, the opposite can happen with an album so good no one wants to sell it even though it seems at a glance very common.
Kostello

Post by Kostello »

Some pretty god points have been posted, but i would like to say/ask the following:
- The known rare records (Salems Wych, Thatcher, Slander etc etc) will not drop in price, that's almost certain since the number of copies is quite limited and the demand high/getting higher...In case copies appear prices are likely to drop, only to get back to normal after these copies disappear once more (many examples, no need to mention them)

- As for the records that have climbed in price recently, Noise, Ebony, Roadrunner etc stuff, sorry but this is just a trend "influenced" by ebay and some buyers that only know this method of adding items to their collections...Please convince me that there are NOT thousands of Running Wild LP's (apart from the obvious rare stuff) around the world.

And mordred, i am not saying a Neat LP is expensive because i may have bought it for 10e, or because it was sold for even more when no one was buying vinyl (anyone into making a large order from Sentinel Steel records' 1997 catalog?). I dont know how many new people enter metal every year, nor how many "leave" it, i am making a guess based on my knowledge of things and the way things used to be or develop if you like...
"Return of the Vampire" from MF was a 20e record. Didnt buy it back then, since i said "its Roadrunner, all MF is cheap". Please find me one now :). BUT, "Dont break the Oath" and "Melissa" is a trend, nothing less for me

My thought is that if an album reaches once or twice a high price, everyone around will "adjust". It's like "oh, "Gates to Purgatory" sold on ebay for 30$, why should i sell my copy in my store for 10$?-the price he had it for all these years...I will sell it for 40$".

How many times records reach very high prices on ebay and AT THE SAME TIME, the SAME record is available for sale on a list for less? Or even on ebay? Ebay is fun and easy to use, but it's NOT the alpha and omega of record "collecting"...

Nightsblood "compared" records with other hobbies and how correct he is. Sure, Metal has other aspects as well, socializing, gigs etc, but as soon as a hobby is based more than it should on a financial basis, things are bound to go down...Sooner or later and not for all, but there are ups and downs. Villain will never be a 5$ record, Black Death as well, but stuff like "Killers", whatever later pressing of "Master of Reality", "Port Royal" the Noise thrash LP's will return to normal prices, that's my guess...

And something for the end. It has been mentioned before. I dont care how someone spends his money, 500$ on Black Death, 300$ on a die-hard Ghost LP, 200$ on a US Metal rarity, 10$ on a new CD by an unknown band. It's his money. There is SO much music to be heard and obtained (in whatever seems logical in one's perception of things, depending on his location, income, personal tastes) that is almost unreal.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

First of all, even though price is related to value, they are NOT the same. I gave a random example of 3 records and you stuck to them, all I know is that you cannot buy an I.Maiden record because the price is 3 times the price it used to be, M.Fate and K.Diamond is another brilliant example. The reason you guys can't find these normal records in the States is almost the same with the reason why you can't find them in Nigeria, vinyl is dead in the US from the late 80's, imports were reduced and probably ceased. These records are aplenty in Germany for instance, but I couldn't buy Raven's "The pack is back" or Saxon's "Denim and Leather" for less than 12 GBP in London (however I am not sure if that was always the case with London), which is outrageous, even Twisted Sister records are no longer sold for 3$ but 3-4 times that price, don't tell me the stock is running short... The supply and demand myth is a joke made by those who think are smarter than others and accepted by the simpletons. It really applies to some cases only and you have to convince me they are not reproachable to accept the notion.