DEVIL'S BACKBONE ''as crooked as they cum'' LP

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
vxn123

DEVIL'S BACKBONE ''as crooked as they cum'' LP

Post by vxn123 »

Is there anybody that has listened to this record? can provide a photo of the cover or the music? Is it any good? what's the music style?....I have never seen this but I know it exists... :?:
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

How do you KNOW it exists?
"I am NOT a collector"
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

This record was discussed in an older thread and as I recall it was one of those Want List fabrications meant to screw with overzealous collectors, like the Red Vinyl Avatar rumors or the green vinyl Crucifixion EP (which I looked for for about 20 years :oops: )
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

nightsblood wrote:This record was discussed in an older thread and as I recall it was one of those Want List fabrications meant to screw with overzealous collectors, like the Red Vinyl Avatar rumors or the green vinyl Crucifixion EP (which I looked for for about 20 years :oops: )
HAHA there were a few back in the day of lists

"Apple Vyper"
"I am NOT a collector"
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

nightsblood wrote: the green vinyl Crucifixion EP (which I looked for for about 20 years :oops: )
I guess you still look for this one with a little hope it wouldn't just have been a joke. :lol:

But yeah, I remember Glockose laughing out loud ("digitally" of course) when he read the Bandname in another Thread, so I guess this is exactly the thing Nightsblood described above.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

I thought that DEVIL'S BACKBONE was invented by Joe Pangallo on one of his sales lists.
Last edited by Sgt. Kuntz on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

nightsblood wrote:This record was discussed in an older thread and as I recall it was one of those Want List fabrications meant to screw with overzealous collectors, like the Red Vinyl Avatar rumors or the green vinyl Crucifixion EP (which I looked for for about 20 years :oops: )
So the green Crucifixion doesn't exist, then? At least Malc speaks of a marbled version. Could it be that version you're referring to?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:I thought that DEVIL'S BACKBONE was invented by Joe Pangallo on one of his slaes lists.
I don't know about DEVIL'S BACKBONE but i remember that J.P.
invented the DARK SHADOWS LP
:lol:
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

I can say We never had a FAKE record on a OPM list

Jim did put Apple Vyper on his want list, Really just to see who was looking at his list and coping it for themself.

And yes folks did that and Apple Vyper showed up on a few lists back in the day
"I am NOT a collector"
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

glockose wrote:I can say We never had a FAKE record on a OPM list

Jim did put Apple Vyper on his want list, Really just to see who was looking at his list and coping it for themself.

And yes folks did that and Apple Vyper showed up on a few lists back in the day
Although i don't remember Jim's want list, i must admit that in the '90s i used all the dealer's lists and all the collector's want lists i could find to actually compile my own want list. :wink:
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yes, Devil's Backbone was a 'Pangollo Special'- thanks for jogging my memory.

AFAIKT the green Crucifixion does not exist; I think the 'marbled' version Malc referred to is a purple-black swirl (since copies do exist on purple and on black vinyl).

TMK, the green Crucifixion originated on John Allinson's Want List in the early 90s. In 20 years of looking, I've never found another reference to it. I have no idea if it was Apple Vyper 2.0, an honest mistake on John's part, or a mix-up of the Crucifixion and Paralex EPs. As someone (Patrik perhaps) has pointed out, 'Green Eyes' and 'White Lightning' have vaguely similar covers (B&W with skulls prominently featured), and are both 12" EPs, so there may have been a simple mix-up; John saw a coy of 'White Lightning' (which was pressed on green vinyl) and mistook it for 'Green Eyes'. There's also the possibility that the title, 'Green Eyes', caused a Freudian slip when John typed out the want list and that he meant to list 'Green Eyes' (purple vinyl) and put 'Green Eyes' (green vinyl) by mistake.

Arguing against these explanations, however, is the fact that John certainly already had the Green Eyes EP on purple vinyl (I know b/c I bought a copy from him around that time), so I don't know why it would've been put on his want list anyway (unless he was looking for a marbled vinyl copy). He also probably had the Paralex EP (I bought this around the same time, but it may have come from Al Spremo, I don't remember), so again, I don't know why it would have been on his want list.

John did like to dig up some obscure colored vinyl items (he had some cool Venoms and Motorheads on colored vinyl when I used to visit his house & store), and he had dealt with Dave from Neat Records (he bought out their leftover vinyl stock of some items; I got their last copy of 'Welcome to Hell' from him). So maybe he knew that a Green Crucifixion was made and it is just incredibly obscure. If so, he took that knowledge to his grave (RIP). John wasn't infallible; he insisted for years that the yellow Avatars were bootlegs. So it may have just been a weird mistake all along.

Speaking of mystery records tied to Allinson, how about that TNT single from his book.....? :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

nightsblood wrote: If so, he took that knowledge to his grave (RIP).
Did John Allinson die? I did not know that!
He was the very first seller from the U.S.A. that i bought records from.
:cry:
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Last I heard from Allinson was around the spring of 1999. He had opened a record store sometime between summer '96 and spring '99 (probably closer to the '99 date). I visited the store once, maybe twice, to trade and buy some stuff (swapped a Triarchy EP for the Trident 7", bought some Cirith Ungol LPs and the comps on Ebony) and he was having health issues by then. Within the next couple of years he sold off a lot (maybe all) of his collection. In 2003-2004 I bought some of his collection from another collector who had bought the items straight from Allinson "a few years earlier"; I never knew exactly when he sold his collection and wished he had contacted me. Allinson had definitely sold even some of his favorite pieces by then, as this collector had bought his Bolweevil 7", which John considered one of the gems of his collection. I remember him showing it off to me and playing it for me when I visited his home in the summer of '96.

Couple of other details about the green Crucifixion:
It appeared on Allinson's Want List in the back of his mail order catalog. I dug out my old catalog stack, and he listed it in the Wants section of List #6, 8, 9 and 10 (I do not have a copy of his List #7, and I don't have Lists 1-5). He stopped listing Wants in List #11. List #6 was for late 93/early 94. List #8 was postmarked to me May 1994. So it was definitely on his want list around 93-95; before and after that I cannot say. In his book, 'Heavy Metal: The Vinyl Years" he also lists 'green' as a vinyl color variant under the entry for the EP. I don't have my copy on hand at the moment, but I think that book was pressed in '96-97, so he still considered it to be real when he was finishing the book. 1-2 folks have claimed to see one, but none have been able to prove it, and I suspect they saw purple copies, test pressings, or the Paralex EP and got confused.
-Becky