Insane ebay auctions - VINYL, tapes & merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

The weirdest thing about these auctions were that up to recently you could get some of them for peanuts. As I said above, two copies of that Stormwindow single were recently sold at GEMM for $4 and $8 respectively, but throw a "private metal" sticker on something on ebay, and it sells for $606. :shock:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Split this one into 2 threads as suggested elsewhere:
CD
+
VINYL, tapes & merch
/aDmiN
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

nightsblood wrote:
It's important to remember that, for Listening Enjoyment, one does not need to buy rare, obscure, high-dollar records. Get a copy of 'Unleashed in the East', 'Number of the Beast', or 'Masers of Reality' for < $10 and you'll have a record that sounds better than 90+% of the rarities out there. You can get great Metal records on a limited budget!
That's partly true. You get kinda sick listening to the same records for 20 years no matter how great they are, don't you?
At some point you want to dig a little deeper and unfortunately many great obscure albums cost a bit too much for the majority, that is if you want to obtain an original copy and not settle for some mp3s or a CDR.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

Much needed split!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/saint-vitus-cod-imp ... 2304b88a8d

in absolute numbers this is crazy,but then again shit boot CDs made for $0.50 sell for $700 so..
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
Keir

Post by Keir »

Khnud wrote:This is absolutely, totally, utterly insane.
glockose wrote:YES THIS IS CRAZY
nightsblood wrote:several of those singles are going nuts
MassOfKthulu wrote:fucking ridiculous
Fils Du Metal wrote:It is absolutely f-...g crazy
Well, at least we can all agree on one thing! I’ll just add that grubadub is a great seller, so congrats to him.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Agreed! I just wish I was the one who got that Stormwindow record from Gemm for $4. Sounded bloody excellent, it did.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

ION BRITTON wrote: That's partly true. You get kinda sick listening to the same records for 20 years no matter how great they are, don't you?
At some point you want to dig a little deeper and unfortunately many great obscure albums cost a bit too much for the majority, that is if you want to obtain an original copy and not settle for some mp3s or a CDR.
You said it yourself, "if you want to obtain an original copy". If your goal is just to find new music b/c you're tired of the classics, there's no need to obtain an original copy. Buy a $10 CD and you can enjoy Flames of Hell, Leather Nunn, etc. Or d/l 'em for free.

Now some people will state that, for one reason or another, these options "just aren't the same" and they simply MUST have an original copy. At that point you're becoming a different type of fan- a collector. That's an entirely different can of worms.

If you simply MUST collect lots of rare and expensive items, you only have a few options:
1- wait until you find the record super-cheap. Search enough yard sales over the next 5-10 years, and maybe you'll get Leather Nunn for $5. Maybe. This option requires tons of patience, and you must resign yourself to owning very few of those rare, expensive items.
2- Fork out $$$$$
3- Learn to be content with that $10 CD reissue :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Khnud wrote:Agreed! I just wish I was the one who got that Stormwindow record from Gemm for $4. Sounded bloody excellent, it did.
sorry it was Mr. Gruba
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

eBay can be a tricky thing sometimes, you can get carry away during an auction, at least that has happened to me once or twice in the past. I reached a point, when i just wanted to win that bloody thing and in no case let the other bidder (rival!!) walk away with it. And in the end i paid much more than i initially wanted to. Does that sound riddiculous? For sure, but maybe that's the way my brain is programmed, i don't know.

I did stay away from that mentioned massacre, no thanks!
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

MassOfKthulu wrote:then again shit boot CDs made for $0.50 sell for $700 so..
Which ones?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

nightsblood wrote:
Now some people will state that, for one reason or another, these options "just aren't the same" and they simply MUST have an original copy. At that point you're becoming a different type of fan- a collector.
Not necessarily. I don't consider myself a collector and I rarely spend more than $20 for an album, but there were a few cases I decided to spend $$$ for an album. In that sense I'm no collector at all, especially when compared to those guys who spend $10.000 every month on ebay to get records they probably never listen to more than twice.
You know, it's not always the same, there are $10 CD reissues that are cheaply made and have horrible sound. $10 is not a lot money, but I'd rather not give my hard-earned 10 bucks for that shit. I prefer either waiting patiently to find an original at a good price or fork out the big cash to get the real thing.
I can also understand the guys who grew up with vinyls instead of CDs. They prefer the vinyl, the CDs seem small and empty to them. But you have made some good points too. It's just that this must-own-rare-vinyl thing ain't necessarily a black or white system of logic if you know what I mean
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

ION BRITTON wrote: It's just that this must-own-rare-vinyl thing ain't necessarily a black or white system of logic if you know what I mean
Absolutely true, which is what I meant by 'getting into a different can of worms' once you start collecting. There are lots of ways to collect, and 'collecting logic' varies from person to person.

Still, between burns, reissues, and d/l's you can find a copy of most recordings, with good sound quality, at a cheap price. Yes, some titles are not available via these 'cheap' routes currently, or if they are the sound quality stinks. If you absolutely must hear those records, you'll have to go down that more expensive collecting pathway. But it's not necessary to go there just to find good music
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Now that was unexpected!!!!
Helvetet's Port 7"
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

can Black Death really sell for this much???

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Private-Hard-R ... 2eaaabc432
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Oh yes! Closer to $200 actually nowadays.