Insane ebay auctions - VINYL, tapes & merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Who is this "Mad Professor"?
humus

Post by humus »

Fils Du Metal wrote:
Just a thought, but either you post the names or if you don't want to you can just keep those conversations private. Rolling Eyes
i don't know most of the bidders by name....and I will post here about this whenever I want cause it is a real metal bash...the forum is exactly here for this so that this is not remaining in private atmospheres.... :!:
Ah ok, not private atmosphere. Just posting some inside remarks for other big collectors while 90% of the forum has no clue who you are talking about. I don't know if you realize but this 'hey I know who it is and I'll post that I know, but I won't post any names', comes over as very pretentious.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yeah, several of those singles are going nuts. Shame, I would have bid a reasonable amount for 2-3 of them. I think they passed 'reasonable' by Thursday! :)

Actually I appreciate the fact that names aren't mentioned regarding auctions, especially if board members are involved. The auction is public and thus open to public discussion; the bidders' IDs are not. If someone on the board wins something and wants us to know it, they'll announce it in the Recent Finds thread or some other topic

The real problem is that these auctions will skew people's perception of the singles' rarity and value for years to come, making it tough for others to get them at a 'normal' price.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

humus wrote:
Fils Du Metal wrote:
Just a thought, but either you post the names or if you don't want to you can just keep those conversations private. Rolling Eyes
i don't know most of the bidders by name....and I will post here about this whenever I want cause it is a real metal bash...the forum is exactly here for this so that this is not remaining in private atmospheres.... :!:
Ah ok, not private atmosphere. Just posting some inside remarks for other big collectors while 90% of the forum has no clue who you are talking about. I don't know if you realize but this 'hey I know who it is and I'll post that I know, but I won't post any names', comes over as very pretentious.
I really don't care.
The folks that Count... Know the deal.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

glockose wrote: The folks that Count... Know the deal.
Can you please explain this? The rest who haven't bid don't 'count'? And 'count' as what? Sorry if I've got it wrong, but I'd really like to know what you mean by that.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Yeah, several of those singles are going nuts. Shame, I would have bid a reasonable amount for 2-3 of them. I think they passed 'reasonable' by Thursday! Smile

Actually I appreciate the fact that names aren't mentioned regarding auctions, especially if board members are involved. The auction is public and thus open to public discussion; the bidders' IDs are not. If someone on the board wins something and wants us to know it, they'll announce it in the Recent Finds thread or some other topic

The real problem is that these auctions will skew people's perception of the singles' rarity and value for years to come, making it tough for others to get them at a 'normal' price.
100% correct everything you wrote.... Why does anyone need the names of those people? Is it important if it is Mr X or Y...
Any reason not to talk about it here as about all those other 1000 topics which of surely 500 could be written "private"
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Ah ok, not private atmosphere. Just posting some inside remarks for other big collectors while 90% of the forum has no clue who you are talking about.
I have 99% no clue what you and tons of members are writing about any CD or any Black Death metal in the other forum secitions and I don't care what is talked about this. I respect it that anyone can talk about the shit he wants here :!:
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

These auctions prove that there is no economic crisis,just a huge logic crisis.
if anyone wants the xcel seveninch in perfect condition for less than what it is at now,just ask me,i know a guy selling it for 380 in m/m.and i thought HIS price was insane.fuck me.Im not fucking bidding on any of this,this is the death of metal.I wish i had an inheritance to blow on these,or to have been working in a swiss bank,but i dont.fucking ridiculous.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
GJ

Post by GJ »

Yawn!
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

These auctions prove that there is no economic crisis,just a huge logic crisis.
Mhh this one you can discuss again. If there are 2 or 3 biddersd having that money so let it be...the market sets itself.

Kyr if we both would be millionaires maybe you also would drive a cool car, cool house, cool expensive records...

It is absolutely f-...g crazy but it has nothing to do with economic crisis etc. It is just that some are rich, some are pooor and some are in between with regular income(unfortunately I belong to the middle :-( or I would also bid on that killer ALLIANCE 7". Or LETHAL LIPSTICK what a great bandname absolute KILLER...)
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

the huge majority of collectors come from the middle class from my observations,but some people are true bourgeois when it comes to metal! maybe the economist of the future will be able to combine names like LETHAL LIPSTICK with macroeconomics haha.BUT nevermind,i got my lower middle class metal blade and black dragon records to listen to! Adam Smith,anyone
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

MassOfKthulu wrote:i got my lower middle class metal blade and black dragon records to listen to! Adam Smith,anyone
It's important to remember that, for Listening Enjoyment, one does not need to buy rare, obscure, high-dollar records. Get a copy of 'Unleashed in the East', 'Number of the Beast', or 'Masers of Reality' for < $10 and you'll have a record that sounds better than 90+% of the rarities out there. You can get great Metal records on a limited budget! Sure, 'Crystal Logic' isn't the Collector's Gem that 'From the Fjords' is, but I know which one I would rather listen to :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

You only need 6-7 bucks to get on vinyl the one and only OUTSTANDING METAL GEM.
Just buy BATTLE HYMNS on LP
Reapersgrave

Post by Reapersgrave »

pan_Heathen wrote:Sometimes it makes me think, is collecting still fun when you have almost unlimited budget to spend on CDs/Records?
I don't imagine so. Personally I would have no fun if i could freely spend that much on a single record. I could complete discographies for that kind of income, but then i wouldn't have much new to buy...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Reapersgrave wrote:
pan_Heathen wrote:Sometimes it makes me think, is collecting still fun when you have almost unlimited budget to spend on CDs/Records?
I don't imagine so. Personally I would have no fun if i could freely spend that much on a single record. I could complete discographies for that kind of income, but then i wouldn't have much new to buy...
Maybe that's why some of these guys seriously over-pay for some obscure records. They already have a huge collection, so when something they don't have turns up, they don't hold back in going after it.
It's easy to criticize them, and it's bloody depressing to watch for all of us poor bastards, but some of these guys probably make $10,000+ a month. That may sound crazy, but that's an annual salary of 'only' $120,000- low 6 figures. And if they're not married/no kids, well, not much to stop 'em from splurging on items they want. To them, $500 is a pretty minor expense.
-Becky