Insane ebay auctions - VINYL, tapes & merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Oh man so much nonsense ! But of course collecting is not a logical thing and the are many different ways of collecting !
LethylSteel wrote:collectors aren't automatically Metal fanatics
Bullshit ! The waste their whole time and money for their hobby!
LethylSteel wrote:more than half of them buy sealed records and never unseal 'em just to say "I have this or that record".
They do not unseal because they have it on CD or MP3 for hearing ! Some have 2 copies ! 1 for listening, 1 for keeping sealed ! Only a few collectors keep their records sealed !!!
LethylSteel wrote:(around 40 with a collection below 5000 records aren't collectors imo - what have they done all the years?)
They resell what they don't like for refinancing new aquisitions ! So they never come to 5000 records !
LethylSteel wrote:I buy records since 1990 too and I'm not 40 years old yet nor ever had much money to spend each month (about 150 E per month) but so far I got around 4000 12 inches and almost 800 7 .
20 years of collecting for 150E per month gives 36'000 Euros. Means 7.5 Euros for 1 record including shipping !??? You are just not credible !!!!
So this also means that you are buying only cheap used stuff, no new stuff ! You absolutely do NOT support bands and labels at all !!! You only buy the cheapest stuff and are not willing to pay a correct price for great music !!!???

YOU are not a fan !
LethylSteel wrote:
The music matters not the price.
Exactly ! It's YOU that has not understood that !
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Back to collection size, whether you're a 'fan' or a 'collector' or both, not everyone wants to own everything. Even if I could have afforded to build a huge collection, I didn't want to. I move too frequently to keep relocating a huge collection. And I'm not interested in buying or even hearing every single heavy metal album from around the world. Different people have different tastes; some people want to get every single thing, others don't. I guess I'm kinda picky when it comes to albums; I only buy the ones I enjoy listening to. If I get something and don't like it, I get rid of it. If I have no idea what it sounds like, I probably won't buy it. I'm not into certain scenes or subgenres, so if it's Brazilian thrash or Swedish death, I have no real interest in it. Now there's a group of fans/collectors/whatever that I don't understand- the ones who buy every single album, INCLUDING ONES THEY DO NOT LIKE, just so they can have a huge collection or a complete discography.

Re: budget, 150 euros/month on music is a pretty hefty budget from my perspective. That's about $200/month. For most of the '00s, my monthly music budget was about one-tenth that, = $20/month, which means I could afford to buy 1 new cd, or 2-3 used cds, or a couple of cheap used vinyls. That was it. If I found a $30-40 record on ebay that I wanted, I had to cut back on something else in my monthly budget to make ends meet.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

To find out that you've bought a record that you don't like can only happen when you've bought and heard it the first time. I'm not one of those who are waiting till everyone starts wanting a special record. I buy when I get the possibility no matter if I know what's to expect or if it's totally undiscovered territory. Sure, this way ALOT of Poser or Hard Rock shit was bought but also diamonds. You've just got to be the first to get it cheap...the last ones pay the 100's of $$.

And as for tbieri, with your statement we've just found to which category you belong to, to exactly that category that I was talking about. :lol:
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

LethylSteel wrote:undiscovered territory
Come on now, even the crappiest unknown record will get hundreds of dollars these days if there's "private metal" in the title :P
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

LethylSteel wrote:And as for tbieri, with your statement we've just found to which category you belong to, to exactly that category that I was talking about. :lol:
Absolutely not !
I buy cheap records, i buy new releases on CD and Vinyl but i also buy some expensive records. Most expensive till now is about 300E. I can afford it, so i can do it !
Most stupid thing you can do is keeping your money on a bank account !
I would like to have everything, but i know i never will !
I keep everything, i unseal everything, i hear everything, i don't have any plans to sell something one day.
Now you know.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

LethylSteel wrote: I buy when I get the possibility no matter if I know what's to expect or if it's totally undiscovered territory. Sure, this way ALOT of Poser or Hard Rock shit was bought
So you end up spending lots of money buying lots of records that you don't even like. How exactly does that make you a more devoted metal fan than someone spending lots of money buying a few records that they really enjoy?

When I was a teenager I bought the same way you do; if it looked metal and was in the $1 Bin I'd buy it, didn't matter if I had never heard of the band before. You know what that got me? For every 1 record I got that I enjoyed I wound up with 9 pieces of crap taking up space until I could ditch them. Yes, I got a few records that ended up being worth a lot more money years later; I also wasted a lot of money on records I hated that were never worth anything. Now I only buy the records I like, and I enjoy my collection a heck of a lot more than i did when I was 20 years old and buried in hundreds of albums that I thought sucked.

Why does it bother you that some people spend a lot of money for a record? If they have the money and can afford to spend it on a record they want, who are you to claim they're not as tr00 as someone spending 'only' 150 euros a month buying every random metal-looking album they find as long as it's cheap?

How much you spend and how much you buy has nothing to do with how cool you are/are not. That's like claiming that you're better than others b/c you've got the most patches on your denim jacket, or because you've got the newest designer purse.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

chatzial

Post by chatzial »

apollo.ra wrote:Shelder - God Of Vikings
103$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

:shock: :shock:
Believe it or not, Shelder used to be the top rarity from France. But a few years ago a bunch of copies were found and that lowered it's value.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

yes, I remember it even some 7 years ago, seeing it for 200€ and more on lists....Wyxmer is also a record that lost its value drastically....
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

roihlem wrote:yes, I remember it even some 7 years ago, seeing it for 200€ and more on lists....Wyxmer is also a record that lost its value drastically....
When some copies are found (less than 50), the value usually drops. But after all the copies are gone, if an album is good, the value rises again. This happened with Black Hole. I remember 10 years ago, some copies were found, i used to have 10 copies of it, but after all were gone the value started to rise again. So maybe when a value is low, people should go ahead and buy the record (Wyxmer for example) because after they will all go it will propably rise again.
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

I bought Shelder 3-4 years ago from a well known greek seller for 50-70 euro!
Don't be surprized my friend it is a price you can find since long ago!!!

It took me much time to like that record. I now believe it is one of the top French, but I ve heard different opinions as well
What do you believe?
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

mine cost me around 25-28 Euros including shipping about 2 years ago so 100$ got me suprised!
Personally I like the record, unlike others who claimed is totally crap.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

apollo.ra wrote:mine cost me around 25-28 Euros including shipping about 2 years ago so 100$ got me suprised!
Personally I like the record, unlike others who claimed is totally crap.
:wink:
Keir

Post by Keir »

I bought mine about 5 years ago when the price was low (paid $46) and I'm glad I did. It's not a favorite of mine, but it is certainly an interesting record that I'm happy to have (and didn't have to pay a fortune for).