Insane ebay auctions - VINYL, tapes & merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

Someone was sssssssssssssso lucky to get this ultra rarity for peanuts with BIN
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPLIT-DECISION- ... 3cbbdfc727
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

Do you like this psych rock record????????????
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyksos-Private- ... 20bc93e951
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

Am i the only one who thinks this was a bargain?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MX-Georgia-heav ... 5ae24ef361
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

This used to be a much coveted item for all,it seems not anymore
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEATH-METAL-COM ... 19c840d0b2
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

The Knell wrote:
nightsblood wrote: If a person is offering $X to end it early, they'll bid $X if you leave the auction running, and other people may big > $X. (
or other people bid less and you have < $X in the end. ending early is definite (and in most cases faster) cash without fees and shit
It does save you 7 days waiting for the auction to close. You avoid fees but that only saves you a few bucks; it's not like ebay/paypal are taking half the final price. If people start emailing you wanting to make offers and the offers are similar, you should have a pretty good idea of what the item will be bid up to. If one guy offers $500 and everyone else is offering $50, yeah, in that case you ought to close it and sell :)

Other auctions:

MX- often sells higher, but not always. Depends on condition

Hyksos- terrible record, the band was barely capable of recording a demo at that stage IMO

Death comp- price jumps around on that one a lot. One copy will sell for $40, the next pushes $100. Never been that hard to find really. This copy appears to have some cover wear.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

So... Which one of you guys bought that Kuster 7"? :lol:
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:
TheGreatEscape wrote:Seems like someone offered a pretty good amount of money so the seller ended the item early:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAVAGE-GRACE-Ma ... 2a13e65580
I emailed him within 9 hours of the auction starting to ask if he was accepting offers to end it early, and he didn't even reply. If he was willing to end it early, why wouldn't he have at least asked for my offer too? Weird.

I agree ending items early is lame and it's stupid for the seller; you're almost guaranteed not to get as much money for the item. If a person is offering $X to end it early, they'll bid $X if you leave the auction running, and other people may big > $X.

There have been several records I was interested in that closed early in recent months, which is why i tried contacting this guy right away. Oh well :(
I think sellers end auctions early to get around the fees. Although it's shitty business, I can't really blame them with how ridiculous ebay charges have become. They fee you 3 times per transaction. Once to list, a second time on the final value of the auction and a third time when the buyer pays through paypal.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/AMMA-80s-Belgia ... 3a6a0db656

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/AMMA-FOU-FAISEU ... 45fccaf8c3

A few months ago, a copy went unsold for 3 € on ebay and I got my copy for free :roll:
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

That's the power of providing a sound clip with the auction, and adding the magic phrase "private metal".
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Not buying the fees thing. Are fees annoying? Sure. Are they taking out such a big chunk of your profit that the only way to come out ahead is to end the items early? No way. End the auction early and you avoid a few dollars in fees, yet you could lose hundreds of bucks on an item like that Savage Grace LP when you don't give everyone a chance to enter a bid. Unless you know for sure that someone has made an offer so outrageous there's just no way anyone is gonna come close to it, you're losing money by ending early.*

And while the fees are annoying, ebay could charge 3 cents total for every item and people would STILL be bitching and looking for ways around the fee. There are some constants in this world, and people looking for ways to avoid any type of fee, no matter how small, is one of them :)

* Yes, the math is different when you're dealing with really cheap items like a $5 used cd, but no one asks for those items to be closed early :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

nightsblood wrote:Not buying the fees thing. Are fees annoying? Sure. Are they taking out such a big chunk of your profit that the only way to come out ahead is to end the items early? No way. End the auction early and you avoid a few dollars in fees, yet you could lose hundreds of bucks on an item like that Savage Grace LP when you don't give everyone a chance to enter a bid. Unless you know for sure that someone has made an offer so outrageous there's just no way anyone is gonna come close to it, you're losing money by ending early.*

And while the fees are annoying, ebay could charge 3 cents total for every item and people would STILL be bitching and looking for ways around the fee. There are some constants in this world, and people looking for ways to avoid any type of fee, no matter how small, is one of them :)

* Yes, the math is different when you're dealing with really cheap items like a $5 used cd, but no one asks for those items to be closed early :)
My 2 cents

I think the one not mentioned is the 1099 sellers will get in the USA this year after the 20K 200 transactions mark is hit

For me this is not a problem but for most this a BIG thing for a few reasons
"I am NOT a collector"
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

glokcose- that probably will start to play a role in ebay tactics. However, the smart way to do it will be to leave the item up for as long as possible, see what the bids are like, see what offers you get, then close the auction shortly before it ends and sell it to the best offer/highest bidder. That way you maximize the 'advertising time' through ebay, but the item won't count as being sold via ebay. In the Savage Grace case, the guy closed the auction in less than 2 days, and he didn't even bother to get an offer from people (me) who contacted him right away and said, "I'll make you an offer if you're interested in closing it early". That seems like a really bad way to sell things if you want to get the most money possible for them. Of course, you and I have previously discussed how many people simply do not know how to sell things in a way that maximizes their profit ;)

Bottom line is this- that seller will never know if he could have gotten more money for the record because he just took the first offer that came along.
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

nightsblood wrote:glokcose- that probably will start to play a role in ebay tactics. However, the smart way to do it will be to leave the item up for as long as possible, see what the bids are like, see what offers you get, then close the auction shortly before it ends and sell it to the best offer/highest bidder. That way you maximize the 'advertising time' through ebay, but the item won't count as being sold via ebay. In the Savage Grace case, the guy closed the auction in less than 2 days, and he didn't even bother to get an offer from people (me) who contacted him right away and said, "I'll make you an offer if you're interested in closing it early". That seems like a really bad way to sell things if you want to get the most money possible for them. Of course, you and I have previously discussed how many people simply do not know how to sell things in a way that maximizes their profit ;)

Bottom line is this- that seller will never know if he could have gotten more money for the record because he just took the first offer that came along.
MAYBE the seller has not sold the LP yet.

If he was getting a lot of emails he could have just pulled it until he can find out what it is really worth before relisting it for say a higher starting price. (This was done with a Saphire 45 last year) started for 9.99 and then relisted a week later for a much higher start.

He also could have desided to keep the item after finding out it was worth a lot more then he thought...

Do we know the item has sold?
"I am NOT a collector"
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

nightsblood wrote:glokcose- that probably will start to play a role in ebay tactics. However, the smart way to do it will be to leave the item up for as long as possible, see what the bids are like, see what offers you get, then close the auction shortly before it ends and sell it to the best offer/highest bidder. That way you maximize the 'advertising time' through ebay, but the item won't count as being sold via ebay. In the Savage Grace case, the guy closed the auction in less than 2 days, and he didn't even bother to get an offer from people (me) who contacted him right away and said, "I'll make you an offer if you're interested in closing it early". That seems like a really bad way to sell things if you want to get the most money possible for them. Of course, you and I have previously discussed how many people simply do not know how to sell things in a way that maximizes their profit ;)

From taking a look at his other auctions I would guess he either made a mistake 49.99 should have been 499.99, or like I stated before he desided to keep it, Also he could have said yes to the first offer and kept it up until he got paid.....
"I am NOT a collector"