Insane ebay auctions - VINYL, tapes & merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

i was naive bidding on this one,thinking that today is my bday :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AUS%3A1123
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:i was naive bidding on this one,thinking that today is my bday :lol:

Save your birthday money for a better record at a better price! :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

nightsblood wrote:
MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:i was naive bidding on this one,thinking that today is my bday :lol:

Save your birthday money for a better record at a better price! :)
I do only know "Stories from the old days", but this is a very good song.
Are the other songs not that good???
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Nasty Uwe wrote:
humus wrote:http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Morbid-Saint-Sp ... 0734290548

A few years ago you could buy these from Metaleros for €15/€20.
I know that the LP has become very rare, but this is way too much.
40€ would be a good price nowadays, as far as I know.
I don't know where you shop, but I haven't seen a copy sell for less than $100 in a long time. This album got quite popular all of a sudden, nowadays it's on every metal newbie's 'top thrash albums' list.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

perishinflames wrote:
Nasty Uwe wrote:
humus wrote:http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Morbid-Saint-Sp ... 0734290548

A few years ago you could buy these from Metaleros for €15/€20.
I know that the LP has become very rare, but this is way too much.
40€ would be a good price nowadays, as far as I know.
I don't know where you shop, but I haven't seen a copy sell for less than $100 in a long time. This album got quite popular all of a sudden, nowadays it's on every metal newbie's 'top thrash albums' list.
A friend of mine has been a seller of 80s Metal vinyl for some years and he told me about that a few years ago.
But yes, It might be possible that the price has risen since then. :?
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Yeah even 5 years ago it was a cheap record. I remember seeing sealed copies sell for $20, and paid not much more than that for mine. But its popularity exploded and it's been pretty impossible to get a copy for a reasonable price.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

perishinflames wrote:Yeah even 5 years ago it was a cheap record. I remember seeing sealed copies sell for $20, and paid not much more than that for mine. But its popularity exploded and it's been pretty impossible to get a copy for a reasonable price.
This album is not the only "victim" of the Thrash wave that has taken place the last 5 years.
Even SAVAGE THRUST "Eat 'em raw" was sold for more than $100. :shock:
http://www.popsike.com/Savage-Thrust-Ea ... 38373.html

I got my copy (still in shrink) for 30€ last year, so this Ebay price is confusing me.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

wow! who could imagine that thing about Morbid Saint,everyone here sure remember when no one knew shit about them(yea,more than 4 years ago)...its a mexican label so i will hunt down copies and get rich :D
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Re: Universe- it's been a long time since I heard it, but i remember it being rather limp-wristed 80s Swedish fare.

Re: Morbid Saint, I have no idea why this has become such a hot item; I remember when the band was considered a bad joke. Funny this and Universe are currently being discussed; years ago I did a big tape trade and the gal I traded with threw in some extra tapes, including one that had 'Spectrum of Death' on one side and 'Universe' on the other. Her only comment in the liner notes was, "which one do you think is cheesier?" Someone else had sent her the tape, and she just passed it on to me to get rid of it- I think I taped over it with something better :lol:
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:years ago I did a big tape trade and the gal I traded with threw in some extra tapes, including one that had 'Spectrum of Death' on one side and 'Universe' on the other. Her only comment in the liner notes was, "which one do you think is cheesier?" Someone else had sent her the tape, and she just passed it on to me to get rid of it- I think I taped over it with something better :lol:
She asked a pretty general question. If you take a step or two back and look at the whole 80's scene that we enjoy so much, I can see how the perspective of an outsider would deem 95% of what we listen to as "cheesy".

For example, the first time my mother heard me listening to Agent Steel (I think I was about 15 or 16 at the time and obviously still lived at home) she thought it was hilarious and couldn't understand how Mr. Cyriis could be any bit serious with his vocals.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

nightsblood wrote:Re: Morbid Saint, I have no idea why this has become such a hot item; I remember when the band was considered a bad joke.
:shock:
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I don't consider Morbid Saint a joke, great album. I don't own it but I remember being in Germany at Rainer's place, he had at least 50 copies. All of them were looked warped and were still sealed. I couldn't find a copy that looked flat. Now it is tough to find, i guess all the collectors didn't mind a warped copy...
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

The sleeve on my copy is a bit wavy, looks like from the pressure of the shrinkwrap and not any kind of water damage. Strangely the record is perfectly flat.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Herkus Monte wrote:
nightsblood wrote:Re: Morbid Saint, I have no idea why this has become such a hot item; I remember when the band was considered a bad joke.
:shock:
What can i say? Everyone I knew or played it for thought it was awful, myself included. Remember, today's tr00 kvlt band was yesterday's cut-out bin reject :lol: There were boxes of Mistreater LPs floating around for years (literally BOXES); now people fight tooth and nail over a copy. The pressing plant gave away copies of Hammerwitch. Charger gave away their singles at a fish and chips store. In the mid 90s you couldn't give away copies of 'Into Darkness', now people are desperate to get orig pressings of WINTER material.

It's a mad, mad world :)
-Becky
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

So the lesson to be learned is: when someone tries to give you a record - keep it!