Insane ebay auctions - VINYL, tapes & merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Maybe. Since all of Popoffs' books are riddled with mistakes I'll reserve judgement on that until someone shows me a photo of the real thing. Then I'll change my opinion.
Shiremen wrote:According to Martin Popoffs' book "The collector's guide to Heavy Metal: The Seventies" The German Oak album was originally printed in 1972 by the Witch & Warlock lable, printed up in an edition of 213 copies, no covers, 202 of which languished in "Warlocks'" basement for years, none, according to Warlock, ever actually getting sold.
Timewind

Post by Timewind »

If anyone is interested, there is a nice 2010 vinyl reissue of German Oak. I picked it up a few months back and it's quite nice.

Details at:

http://www.discogs.com/German-Oak-Germa ... se/2482907
msp

Post by msp »

Old Thrash tour shirts always go for mega $$$
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Dirty Rocker wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/marquis-sade-somewh ... 1c185750e6

Will probably go for some money!
Hah, I was just wondering why you hadn't posted a link to that auction yet. :)
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

Khnud wrote:
Dirty Rocker wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/marquis-sade-somewh ... 1c185750e6

Will probably go for some money!
Hah, I was just wondering why you hadn't posted a link to that auction yet. :)
Haha. A friend of mine just emailed me the link through hotmail, I had no idea it was on ebay actually. 8) Will be interesting to see what it goes for though, complete with insert and all. My guess is 750-850£.
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
tomas

Post by tomas »

doomedplanet wrote:Maybe. Since all of Popoffs' books are riddled with mistakes I'll reserve judgement on that until someone shows me a photo of the real thing. Then I'll change my opinion.
Shiremen wrote:According to Martin Popoffs' book "The collector's guide to Heavy Metal: The Seventies" The German Oak album was originally printed in 1972 by the Witch & Warlock lable, printed up in an edition of 213 copies, no covers, 202 of which languished in "Warlocks'" basement for years, none, according to Warlock, ever actually getting sold.
@doomedplanet:
What's the tracklist on your vinyl copy?
But does it slay witches?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

here you go:

tomas wrote:
@doomedplanet:
What's the tracklist on your vinyl copy?
tomas

Post by tomas »

If what you say is true about there being no real 1972 pressing and that all those expensive German Oak LPs that have been sold in the last ten years (see popsike.com) are the same as your copy (with bonus tracks), don't you think it's weird that not a single one of all those people started spreading the story about the fact that a so-called "original 1972 kraut monster" they payed 500$ for, turned out to be a bootleg with bonus tracks?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Of course the record I have is a bootleg, it includes all the songs off the cd. I didn't deny that.

What I would like to hear is a straight answer on this green label version you seen on popsike.
Popoff has his story about a record with no cover not distributed. So are all these expensive copies a version where a dealer or even the band made a cover and sold the old lp? Or is it some other bootleg from the 80's or 90's not seen until ebay?

The copy that just sold for good money, what was it? This 1999 pressing or one of these green label versions? If you notice on the auctions on popsike, ALL the copies are described as mint. VERY unusual for something from 1972, or even 1982, don't you think?

Take a look at the popsike photos and check out that pixellized "Bunker" printed on the labels? Does that look like something from the 70's? I've NEVER seen an original 70's record with printing like that, but of course it is possible, all I'm saying, until I get some sort of plausable story I'll remain skeptical. Something doesn't seem right.
tomas wrote:If what you say is true about there being no real 1972 pressing and that all those expensive German Oak LPs that have been sold in the last ten years (see popsike.com) are the same as your copy (with bonus tracks), don't you think it's weird that not a single one of all those people started spreading the story about the fact that a so-called "original 1972 kraut monster" they payed 500$ for, turned out to be a bootleg with bonus tracks?
tomas

Post by tomas »

You're right about the labels, they don't look seventies. But still, everything's possible. According to you, what's the tracklist of the popsike LPs? Do they also have the bonustracks or not? I don't know. I think they have the original 4-song tracklist.
msp

Post by msp »

The German Oak Lp is listed in Ulrich Klatte's "Cosmic Price Guide: to original KRAUTROCK records" - he believes there is a 1972 pressing with a EUR 250 value
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

any actuall details about the pressing? So far we have struck out on the real data about an original pressing.
msp wrote:The German Oak Lp is listed in Ulrich Klatte's "Cosmic Price Guide: to original KRAUTROCK records" - he believes there is a 1972 pressing with a EUR 250 value
msp

Post by msp »

doomedplanet wrote:any actuall details about the pressing? So far we have struck out on the real data about an original pressing.
msp wrote:The German Oak Lp is listed in Ulrich Klatte's "Cosmic Price Guide: to original KRAUTROCK records" - he believes there is a 1972 pressing with a EUR 250 value
Unfortunately if I recall it is really just a one line entry with no real data. I'll take a look again later when I get home and get back

- Matt
msp

Post by msp »

msp wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:any actuall details about the pressing? So far we have struck out on the real data about an original pressing.
Unfortunately if I recall it is really just a one line entry with no real data. I'll take a look again later when I get home and get back

- Matt
Further to the above the book lists the label of release as BUNKER BU 1-72 in 1972. No further info I am afraid other than that