Highest valued metal LP

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
warlord

Highest valued metal LP

Post by warlord »

Great topic with the Highest valued metal CDs but which are the Highest valued metal LP's ? or the Highest valued metal LP? a signed version or a misspress version or a testpress or a boot?

- Militia "The Sybling" 3000 USD
- Metallica Ride The Lightning RED logo 2247 USD
- Mayhem ( Deathcrush - POSERCORPSE) 2247 USD
- Iron Maiden Super Ultra Mega Rare Japan 7'EP DJ Copy 3120 USD
- Iron Maiden: The Soundhouse Tapes 2050 GBP
- Iron Maiden - Live in Nagoya 1981 2194 GBP
- MUTIILATION VAMPIRES DLP LIM 100 1225 USD
- Moonblood – Taste our German steel 1222 USD
- AC/DC SUPER RARE LP COVER 12 OF THE BEST ALBERT APLP029 5611 AUD
- AC/DC ORIGINAL "A" LABEL AUSSIE PROMO RELEASE 1974 1183 GBP
- LEATHER NUNN Take The Night X-Rare + exclus.Test Press 2555 USD
- STREET CHILD LP USA Private Metal Monster SEALED !! 1000 USD

Which prices are real which are fake ?
Which other prices you know?
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

SLAYER "nitemare on elm street"LP $2300
metalmaster

Re: Highest valued metal LP

Post by metalmaster »

warlord wrote:Great topic with the Highest valued metal CDs but which are the Highest valued metal LP's ? or the Highest valued metal LP? a signed version or a misspress version or a testpress or a boot?

- MUTIILATION VAMPIRES DLP LIM 100 1225 USD
- Moonblood – Taste our German steel 1222 USD
Cant believe someone can pay such prices for such crap like these
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Those are just eBay prices. I'm pretty sure there are rarities fetching higher than that in private trades.

WARZWOLF, anyone?
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Going to throw out the obvious Paradoxx, Hammeron and Graven Image.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
msp

Post by msp »

I think Paradoxx sold for $1400 last time on ebay.
Solar Eagle is probably a $1000 record now

Rattlehead sold some obscure Lp by a band called ZAXAS last year that went for over $1000 if I remember.

It is hard to really know the true value of metal records in my opinion. For instance there is no price guide & it seems like most readily available copies of rarities are owned by dealers who can charge what they want and there are enough insane people with money to burn who will pay those prices. It is reminding me of the Golden Age comic book market...
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Flames Of Hell ?????????????? :?:
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

ANTHRACITE - Plus Précieux que l'Or (which means "more precious than gold" or something :wink:)

LEGEND - From the Fjords (original, not the boot version)

Both records could break through the 1.000$ mark.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

that ld be the militia i guess,but noone knows what would happen if a copy or two of a few US sevens came up,like bent sirkis and stuff
i have to say that EVERYTHING is rare these days if you believe ebay,everything,from the crappiest nwobhm seveninch to 90s black'metal',it's all rar und kult and saukult platte jaa man
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
ION BRITTON

Re: Highest valued metal LP

Post by ION BRITTON »

warlord wrote:Which prices are real which are fake ?
This is not the right question, there's not such thing as a real or fake price imo. It depends on many things such as the current level of supply and demand at the market, the income of those who are willing to pay etc. The way an auction style site like eBay affects the prices has probably been discussed before, but for me the answer to your question cannot be given by simply stating ''yes, real'' or no, fake''. Besides, i think it has more to do with ''reasonable'' or ''inflated'' prices rather than ''real'' or fake'' ones.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
peterott

Post by peterott »

The Knell wrote:Flames Of Hell ?????????????? :?:
Checked my mailbox again to be sure (censored name and anti-spam mail:

---
Subject: Flames of Hell LP
Date: 19.08.2004 15:02
To: peterott@xxxxx.xxx

Peter
I sold it for 3 thousand
thought you should like to know.
salute [xxxxxxx]
----

If I am right, it was $, not €, but that was the time with a close 1:1 exchange rate...
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Dont know if you would be this these days.
last copies I saw sold for 600 & 770

records could break through the 1.000$ mark.
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

that ld be the militia i guess,but noone knows what would happen if a copy or two of a few US sevens came up,like bent sirkis and stuff
Yep Kyr same opinion, but in moment no record will break tis frontier again. 3000 US$ was only because the guy weanted it. And the guys wanting that stuff have it.
The 7"'S like FAR EAST, BENT SIRKIS etc. obviously break the 500 US$ always and going next to 1000 US$ but in moment even the 1000 US$ won't be reached. At least in our power metal/80's metal circles.
For METALLICA/bootlegs and that black metal crap I don't know, different kind of people... and different style of buying/collecting.
Financialc crisis...
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:58 am
ANTHRACITE - Plus Précieux que l'Or (which means "more precious than gold" or something Wink)

Anthracite maybe, Legend is lame often seen for 500 US$ or so. I would also price it 2000 :-) Teh bootleg killed the price...

I predict that prices will boost ultra high for the US metal 7" market when John is editing the book and the 7"'s get on the market and are sold. Then we will have a new very expensive battlefield with all those INFRARED, INVASION, NEMESIS, RED RUIN 7"'s etc. So get them all before :-)

Amen
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Fils Du Metal wrote: I predict that prices will boost ultra high for the US metal 7" market when John is editing the book and the 7"'s get on the market and are sold. Then we will have a new very expensive battlefield with all those INFRARED, INVASION, NEMESIS, RED RUIN 7"'s etc. So get them all before :-)

Amen
HAHAHA..

Maybe I shouldn't do it..
I am having a little problem when I think about this.
How do you unleash 200 single no one has ever heard befor
all at one time? What will happen? how and where should this be handled?
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

A big problem with pricing rare records is getting enough data points for any one album. Yes, in theory you may find 1-2 rich collectors that will pay a huge amount for something, but in theory there's someone who will pay me $1,000 for my dirty socks- that doesn't reflect the real market value of my socks :) I might have to wait 50 years to find that $1,000 offer- if I want to sell my socks in a reasonable amount of time, I ain't gonna get that much for 'em. We see this on ebay all the time, with people doing 28-day listings with outrageous prices listed month after month, hoping for that one 'special' buyer to come along...

For a more metal example, ok, someone paid $3,000 for Flames of Hell... if you had 5 copies to sell, could you find five more people willing to pay $3,000 each for a copy? If so, ok, you've established that the album will REPEATEDLY sell for that amount. If, however, you sell 1 copy for $3,000 but no one else will pay more than $1,000 for one of the other four copies, what's the item's value? IMO it's $1,000 and you just got lucky on that $3,000 copy.

Records like FoH often bring huge amounts simply because there are not enough data points to define a value, so people pay astronomical sums based on the item's apparent rarity. I say 'apparent' because more copies could always turn up. The more copies that turn up, the lower the price drops and the better the chances that a 'regular' price can be established.
Example- first time I saw a Dutchess 7" on ebay, it sold for 411 GBP (over $600). TMK it was the first copy on ebay, and no one else had offered a copy for sale in years, so it went for a big amount. Since then, around 20 copies have come and gone on ebay alone, and the price quickly dropped and became consistent around 150-175 GBP ($225-250). Every now and then a copy has sold for noticeably more or less than that, but there are now enough data points to get a feel for what most people are willing to pay for the item.

Some important points:
1- if you're buying based on claims that only X copies exist, unless that's a manufacturing number, more copies could always turn up! Yes, only 2-3 Warzwolf LPs are known to be in collectors' hands, but I guarantee you that more than 3 copies were pressed, so more DO exist (we just can't find the darn things! :) ). On the other hand, only 10-20 yellow Avatars were pressed, so there really are only 10-20 of those out there.
Another example- I was talking with a blues collector years ago and asked him about a Gatemouth Moore LP that was listed in a price guide with a note, "only 10 copies known to exist". The guy walked over to a shelf, pulled the album out to show me, and said, "Yeah, well, better change that to eleven... the author never asked me if I had a copy" :)

2- If enough copies have sold in recent years, what is the AVERAGE selling price? Popsike is great for this (not foolproof, but very helpful).

3- Check the bid history and se how far back the 3rd, 4th, and 5th place bidders were. Example, that Bad Axe LP that sold on ebay last month. 2 bidders pushed it to $686, but 3rd place was around $350 and 4th and 5th was a lot less than that. The album has never brought that much on other occasions, so this was an anomalous bid war, not the typical value of the record.

4- What is the item worth TO YOU? Things only have the value we give them. If Flames of Hell is worth $3,000 to you to own a copy and you have the money, then it's worth $3,000 to you; it is not worth $3,000 to me, but that doesn't really impact how much you value the record.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky