Most out of place record find?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Khnud

Most out of place record find?

Post by Khnud »

Inspired from another forum, what's your most out of place record find? Doesn't have to be metal!

Many years ago, I found an original Canadian Viper press of RAZOR - Evil Invaders in a crate of 70's funk/disco at a car boot sale. In retrospect, I should have asked the seller how the hell it got there, but alas I didn't.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Re: Most out of place record find?

Post by OmenOfSteel »

Interesting topic!

I remember that I found a copy of BREAKER - IN DAYS OF HEAVY METAL original pressing at a very small record fair in Traunstein, small village not far from where I live. Price was 5 DM (2,50 Euro) and it was the only Metal record in that random record pile.
That happened in the 90ies when those private pressing were mostly unknown and hard to come by. I always was curious how that vinyl ended up in that place before I gave it a good new home.

Oh, and in 2005 I was record hunting in Australia & Tasmania. I couldnt find any really rare Aussie Metal Gems, but in Hobart I found a copy of PALASS - QUEEN OF THE WORLD from Belgium.

Another funny one: In 1992 I was in Ireland. Top of my wants list at that time was SLAUGHTER - STRAPPADO. Short before the end of the trip I really found a copy of this LP in some small 2nd hand shop, think it was in Galway. I must have a photo somewhere at home of me kneeling before that shop in praise of the Metal Godz.
We praise the blood that metal brings
msp

Post by msp »

About 7 years ago popping into a small 2nd hand craft fair in a small hall in the English seaside town of Southwold. On a table next to hand made china plates and other bric a brac there was a small box of records that had about 10 copies of Iron Maiden - Edward The Great Comp Lp. Bought a copy but always struck me as very strange
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

A few more: In 2010 or so I had lunch at a 1950's themed café in a Swedish town not too far from here. Turned out they had a crate of records in the back, most likely to add to the general vintage feeling of the place. The decor was complete with contemporary food dispensers, a large juke box (fully functional), a mechanical juice press, etc. The records were all completely random common crap, except for a very worn copy of the PHOENIX RISING EP that I chose not to pick up because the condition was just too bad.

Around 2005 there was an old geezer selling all kinds of stuff in one of the town squares where I live. Old furniture, clothes, books, cutlery etc. I got the feeling he was selling the complete contents of his house. Sometimes he had records too. Most of the time they were completely uninteresting (and in rather poor shape), but one time he had 10 or so dead mint copies of MAGNUM - Chase The Dragon, for reasons unknown. I should have bought one! Rumour has it he also had several copies of the first NOVEMBER LP for sale at some point, but of course I missed out on all of those.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
humus

Post by humus »

Heavy metal army LP in a box of 80’s pop compilations at a yard sale not far from my house, maybe 15 years ago. That was an expensive import record back in the 80’s so very strange…

One time my father said someone he knew was selling something I might like. Turned out it was an uncensored firstpress Autopsy - Severed survival. Guy was not a metalhead at all but later my father told me he cleaned out houses for the local recycle shop. Was probably not his to sell…
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Great topic!

First 2 things that comes to mind are incidents from the early 00's (or possibly even late 90's) - both from the same venue
I had recently moved to Stockholm and had a habit of frequenting all the better flea markets in town, both for records as well as just cool junk, clothes etc.. The largest flea-market that probably ever existed in Sthlm, or possibly even Sweden as a whole (sadly no more), was held during weekends in the parking garage of a mall in the Skärholmen district. The amount of cool/cheap/stolen/ugly shit you could find there is a long different story for another time, but one of the many record-peddlers was this Spanish(?)/latino guy who had a fairly large selection of vinyl, even rivaling some of the 2nd hand proper record shops in town. I think I probably picked up some cheapo regular stuff from him as well, but the insanely unexected find was M-/M- copies of both albums by Spaniards CROM! The fact that they were both signed by the whole band kinda hints that there might have been a connection between the seller and the band, but stupidly enough I never followed up on that lead.. :(

Incident #2 at Skärholmens Loppis was meeting this late 50's/ealy 60's geezer who amongst other typical flea-market crap had 2 crates of vinyl on his table. If I remember correctly he had 1 Pokolgep LP I was missing (hurrah!), but maybe even more importantly, 2 Vágtázó Halottkémek LPs! - a band I had been dying to hear since Jello Biafra namedropped & hyped them in the "Incredibly Strange Music vol 2" book. Long story short: I somehow ended up hanging out with this guy of Hungarian decent a couple of times, drinking beer at his apartment where he lived with his 80yo+ mother, chatting about rock history in general and Hungarian rock in particular... Where is he now I wonder...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Damn, you guys have had far better luck than me over the years. Great topic.
My meagre contribution is that i once spotted a box of records for sale in the furniture section (!) of my local Co-Op department store & after digging through a bunch of Music For Pleasure, Hallmark & K-Tel dreck found the 'Brute Force', 'Precious Metal', & 'Living Legends' compilation LPs & Thin Lizzy's 'Black Rose' too. 50p each. None are particularly rare, but to find them in my one-horse town and in such a weird place always struck me as very odd indeed.
The worst of it was i could only afford to buy one of them that day & had to stop in on my way home from school every day to check they were still there (and continually hide them at the back of the box) whilst i waited until the following weekend to blow my pocket money (i was only about 11 at the time) on the other 3 LPs.
As i said, these finds weren't rare but they turned out to be really important in the development of my tastes as they really stoked my interest in heavier music & bolstered my meagre record collection at a pivotal time. And all for just 2 quid! :D
Last edited by bigfootkit on Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Speaking of luck - didn’t one esteemed member of this forum once find an original GRAVEN IMAGE in a local second hand shop, in a pile of disco, dansband and schlager music?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
The Ripper

Post by The Ripper »

Cool topic indeed! Heard many collector's stories in the past how they scored this or that rare LP for 10 bucks when some years later it fetched $$$.
Unfortunately, ebay and particularly discogs blew that record hunting habit away...nowadays even the most bizzare place will have double-checked everything they sell! I still recall grabbing a nm- AHAT copy outside Alexander Nievsky church in Sofia in between WWII memorabilia and tourist gifts!
Last edited by The Ripper on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

In the very early 90ies i've seen this baby in a Record Shop in my hometown (i did'nt lived there anymore at that time).

After listening to it i said to myself: "Nahhh, 18.- bucks for 3 badly produced songs is not worth it!"
In the following years i came back to that shop nearly every year, usually at cristmas hollydays, and each time i wanted to give it a new chance and listened to it again. And everytime i renounced to buy it!!!

So in the second half of the 90ies, close before going out of business, the seller lowered the price to 12.-!
And i thought 12.- is OK and i've finally buyed it! :D
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Hehe, it doesn't have to be rare or (in)expensive to fit in this thread. It just has to be completely out of place. :mrgreen:
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Found an Kreator - Extreme aggression LP indeed in a Schlager and Country vinyls box in the late 90's. Was my first flea market experience ever and my last one. Completely waste of time. I love more searching on internet sites for obscure shit that's posted completely out of place in the wrong sections for little money. :lol:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Cool stories!
While on a road trip a few years ago, we were spending our last night in Denmark before going to Sweden. On top of my wantlist then was the Universe LP, so I said to myself « that would be ace to find it in Sweden ». I checked discogs before going to bed, and saw a copy at a truly fair price, that I bought right away. Then I saw the guy who was selling it lived in Malmö (Sweden, where we were supposed to go the day after). I messaged him saying « ok, I might pick it up directly from you tomorrow ». The guy laughed, as I’m supposed to live in France. We met the day after in Malmo, I picked my Universe LP, then continued my road trip, pretty happy about the way things happened 😁
Finding a Saracen LP for cheap in Stockholm is another story, but not as funny as this one.
Last edited by Kraignoss666 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ujr_metal

Post by ujr_metal »

A couple of years ago, maybe 2019 I was in my car coming back from the market and stopped at the traffic light. Looked to the other side of the street and there was a guy selling some LPs in an empty shop space, just him, lots of varied records on the floor and some sound system to play them.
Saw Angel Witch debut and SP Metal and asked the guy how much were those, and it was something like 10 usd. Then he said "there's some rare metal records here, metal from Argentina". So I stopped the car and there was a V8 Luchando por el metal, for 10 usd as well. Not great condition, but not bad as well.
Some venom and exodus bootlegs, all for 10.
Sadly I was unemployed and couldn't get them all, but v8 is here!
Funny is that the seller knew it was a rare and expensive record but asked just 10 for it.
Hans

Post by Hans »

Cool stories, nice to read.
Most weird find was Metal Power 7" , vol. 4, at local 2d hand market, not that strange, as its from the area, but ok.
Also I got collegues giving me old metal records on several occasions, helloween, maiden, priest, when talking about interests and so on.
Oh and sometime, I was visiting an old abandoned mansion in belgium with friends, for taking urbex pictures, in one hall was a table and there was a half burned Anvil lp on there.. did not keep it : )