Metal Collecting ..only for the rich & elderly?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
apollo.ra

Re: Metal Collecting ..only for the rich & elderly?

Post#16 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Khnud wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 pm
And last and not least (and I'm sure you all recognize this one): those rare items you own always seem to become cheaper, and the rare items you don't own (but desperately need) all become more expensive! :D
My collecting life in a sentence.
I would also add the non-rare items that get seriously expensive (just try to get a first-press Maiden, Metallica, Savatage, Virgin Steele, etc for a cheap price).

Something also worth mentioning is the craziness relating to shipping costs.
Unless you're buying a rare record on bargain it became forbidding to buy a single lp from abroad.
A 15$ record ends up costing you 25-30$

fengisriprider

Post#17 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Ok but I still stand by my statement, I will gladly pay for sheer brilliance, and although I am not rich I can still manage to put together a decent collection, even with some good Rarities.
"I thought we were heavy metal."

Prowler

Post#18 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Well, what I've noticed so far during the past years the prices went certainly even down. If you judge prices by the guys that offer well known/wanted records with buy-now options, then yes, prices got up, but who seriously buys records for top prices? I've been collecting records for a hell of years and I know what I've paid for mine earlier. Nowadays the uncommon raries/local pressings can be otained for even $10-20 less than I've paid for them back in the day (some even with buy now options). And if you are just a little bit patient you'll find them for nothing like recently that first Mad Max 7". It's not the prices that got up, it's the sellers who get more greedy nowadays ... :P
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...

humus

Post#19 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:51 am

Khnud wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 pm
And last and not least (and I'm sure you all recognize this one): those rare items you own always seem to become cheaper, and the rare items you don't own (but desperately need) all become more expensive! :D
Not really, no. The only really expensive rarity that I should have bought in the past and didn't get was the Yellow goat. For all the other >€500 records I either own them or I don't need them. Still plenty of classics or mid-rarities that I miss, but you can't buy them all anyway. I have very few regrets when it comes to my music collection.

Prowler wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:42 pm
Well, what I've noticed so far during the past years the prices went certainly even down.
I don't know any of the last 100 records you posted on this forum though :wink: