How do you store your collection?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
sovdat

How do you store your collection?

Post by sovdat »

How do you guys store your collection, where do you keep your records / CDs (in which room of the house), where did you get shelves (if you have any), etc. etc. Pictures are welcomed!
:wink:
Levi

Post by Levi »

Now on a bookshelf but there are too many on one shelf (+/- 175 records), so I'm going to change that. Probably will become a system like this one, but self-made:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0130096183

Will be easier to transport in this way, which is convenient in my situation.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I keep them in crates, usually a larger version originally made for milk cartons (as seen here) which I steal from the back of the local supermarket after drunken nights at the town. I like to be able to flick through my collection recordstore-style. More inspiring + less neck pain.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I store my lps and cds in a big closet, so I keep them away from dust or the claws of someone who have no idea of how to handle a vinyl 8)
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Do you also keep the LPs in those plastic "jackets" (As they are in stores :) )?

I keep my CDs in a simple home-made shelves, although I'm constantly running off space :/ I never had any problems with CDs (some friends told me that their CDs completely fallen appart and stuff like that - probably due to their expose to sun / wet ?; except for one Invocator CD - don't know what's happening with it).

And for the LPs, I have only about 30 of them, so I don't even bother :)
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I store them in a so called "roomdivider", it's perfect. There's place for 2500 LP's, so there's enough space for years to come.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I store my CDS in bookself in my room which is for books but it is filled with CDs(there hardly a room for more its about 1000 cds).As for LP's i store them in the attic where i have my pick-up in big boxes for chips or such thing.
Levi

Post by Levi »

sovdat wrote:Do you also keep the LPs in those plastic "jackets" (As they are in stores :) )?
I sure do, you have to go all the way with that freaky behaviour as a record collector... :lol:
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Levi wrote:
sovdat wrote:Do you also keep the LPs in those plastic "jackets" (As they are in stores :) )?
I sure do, you have to go all the way with that freaky behaviour as a record collector... :lol:
I went one step furter and bought about 600 record sleeves from the same place so I could replace all the old ones the records had and look nice and neat. :wink: :P
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Levi wrote:Now on a bookshelf but there are too many on one shelf (+/- 175 records), so I'm going to change that. Probably will become a system like this one, but self-made:

This cubes look pretty neat. Are they worth 20€ apiece? You said yours will be a product of DIY. By yourself?

@ sovdat: In new plastic boxes even f-ed up cd-booklets look finer. Ditto for f-ed up vinyl sleeves in plastic jackets.

Hmm, to answer your question, Boštjan: my objects of desire are stored everywhere, in boxes and whatnot, some in special "regallen". situation is quite chaotic. Got to solve that sometime in the future. The cubes are really making me think ...
I am ... the One you warned me of
Levi

Post by Levi »

Noisenik wrote:
Levi wrote:Now on a bookshelf but there are too many on one shelf (+/- 175 records), so I'm going to change that. Probably will become a system like this one, but self-made:

This cubes look pretty neat. Are they worth 20€ apiece? You said yours will be a product of DIY. By yourself?
Well, I think those cubes are pretty pricey (but solid), therefor I'm going to make them myself by using 'furniture wood'. Those are MDF plates (same as the cubes) with a wood structure, I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about; it's the stuff most of those built-it-yourself furniture packages are made off. It should look +/- the same as the cubes, but not with rounded edges. My dad has the material to do that, so shouldn't be a problem, a day's work I guess. Will be alot cheaper than those cubes and I can choose the size etc.

And those cubes are only delivered inside the UK, so that rules out buying.
humus

Post by humus »

Vinyl storage:

I bought this piece of furniture a few months ago in a recycle shop for €15. On top of it I have these old 70's/80's plastic open-at-two-sides recordholders which I bought in recycling shops over the years, I really am the only one in town who buys them. So on this photo you see +- 340 records and I think I can fit around 375, maybe 400 there.
I've got some records hanging on my wall and I keep my doubles/picture discs in a seperate transparant box which you can see in the lower right cornet, once again from a recycle shop.
All my records are in protection sleeves. For the price of one regular record you can buy almost 200 protection sleeves so I think it's stupid not to use them. And they've already proven their worth to me, last year when I still had my records on the floor my toddler-godson vomited right next to them. I still have dozens of protection sleeves with vomit stains on them but my records remained untouched.

Single storage:
Carton box I got from protected.de . I don't know how many singles I have in here but I think over a 100. Sealable, easy to move, just perfect I think. I've also have some hanging on my wall and another 40 are stored in the cupboard of the furniture on the first picture, together with some 150 CD's which didn't fit in my three CD-towers anymore. My tapes are stored in wooden 3-bottle wine crates. Didn't take pictures of those.

All this is stored in my bedroom by the way, though I'm running out of space...
Astaroth

Post by Astaroth »

LP's in the top 8 and CD's/tapes/EP's/random in the bottom 8.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Astaroth wrote:Image

This looks like the one you can get from Ikea? It's the best one for sure!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Korgüll wrote:
Astaroth wrote:Image

This looks like the one you can get from Ikea? It's the best one for sure!
I have that one, only 5 X 5 big and white, it's perfect
Long Live The Loud !!!