How do you store your collection?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Heabymetawhunta

Post by Heabymetawhunta »

khiijol wrote:
for 7"s i use modified 6-pack holders:

havent been able to find a better solution within my price range as of yet. they are kind of a pain in the ass
Besides cutting the top part off, did you do anything else to the packholders? And how is it working out for you? It seems like the pack would become flimsy and not support the 7inchs,causing them to lean and fall.
Le fjump wrote: Image
I store mine in expedit, and i keep them stored in in a plastic outersleeve, keep the record inside a paper dust cover outside of the record sleeve, but inside the plastic sleeve. And i try not to lean them too much against each other, as displayed above. I cant say for sure, but its my belief that the ones at the back get the pressure from the records infront of it leaning against it,causing wingwear, so i try to pack the expedit squares tight enough so they dont lean on each other, but with enough room to slightly flip through them. Is there anyway to absolutely prevent ringwear?
Keir

Post by Keir »

Just kidding! That is just where I put them while setting up my new shelves.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Seeing records stacked like that is painful, even if temporarily. Lean them against the wall or something!
humus

Post by humus »

My 'last arrival' Expedit in the living room, close to the stereo system.

My wall of noise in the bedroom. Around 80% of my vinyl, 80% of my CD's and 25% of my tapes.
In case you're wondering, the blinds in my bedroom are closed 99% of the time, so nothing is exposed to direct sunlight.
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

Very Nice Sir!!!
Cool setup!
humus

Post by humus »

Thanks. I live in a rental appartment but in a few years I'll be buying my own spot, then I hope I can make a room dedicated to music and have everything on display. Most of my tapes are boxed up because I simply have no room.
Rob

Post by Rob »

humus wrote: Image
Sunlight is very bad for your records, your tapes and CDs. :/

Also, I'd like to ask a question to you guys. How do you answer when someone asks you how many records do you have? Do you use a double album as 1? And how a bout with those box releases with several disks?

Nothing serious. Just a question that I have been wondering about for some time now.
6is9
humus

Post by humus »

Rob wrote:Sunlight is very bad for your records, your tapes and CDs. :/
Hence the
In case you're wondering, the blinds in my bedroom are closed 99% of the time, so nothing is exposed to direct sunlight.
:wink:

In regards to the other question, I have excel lists of my entire collection (except for my shirts and zines) and everything is counted as one item, even 6-LP boxsets.
scandinavian-assault

Post by scandinavian-assault »

humus wrote:
Rob wrote:Sunlight is very bad for your records, your tapes and CDs. :/
Hence the
:wink:

In regards to the other question, I have excel lists of my entire collection (except for my shirts and zines) and everything is counted as one item, even 6-LP boxsets.
I'm currently doing an excel list of records, CD's, tapes. It's exhausting, but it's nice to go through a collection you've been building for a life time! I think about adding shirts, VHS and DVD's to the list, but it's in the future I guess.

I'm on letter M and counting 1999 records. Of course a box or a D-LP is counted as one item.
Headbanger, Earthdog, Rivet Head, Hell Rat & Metal Maniac!
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

A question for those that have a lot of cardsleeve CDs: How do you store them? I need a new solution, preferably cheap/free but all solutions are welcome (except variants of "sell them")

I currently keep mine in a pile on one of the shelves in my CD cabinet but they are quite annoying to browse that way, also I am beginning to need that space for jewel case CDs now.
The_Elite

Post by The_Elite »

I put them in plastic cd sleeves (from other promo cds/magazine cds- as long as they fit!) and store them in a regular cardboard factory cd box so I can browse them like the are mini lps!
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

The_Elite wrote:I put them in plastic cd sleeves (from other promo cds/magazine cds- as long as they fit!) and store them in a regular cardboard factory cd box so I can browse them like the are mini lps!
I like that idea, now where would one go and get a cd box like that? As far as I know cardboard factories don't sell to private customers in this country.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

May I suggest going to a store that sales cds and ask for some boxes they got their cds shipped in? I believe that is what he is talking about.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Abyss wrote:May I suggest going to a store that sales cds and ask for some boxes they got their cds shipped in? I believe that is what he is talking about.
I don't have any good ones around but I'll give that a try, I cannot believe I didn't think of that on my own :lol:

Thanks!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Rob wrote:Also, I'd like to ask a question to you guys. How do you answer when someone asks you how many records do you have? Do you use a double album as 1? And how a bout with those box releases with several disks?

Nothing serious. Just a question that I have been wondering about for some time now.
Just because a release has more then one piece doesn't mean that it's several different releases...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."