Tracking number question

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Manta

Tracking number question

Post by Manta »

This next question has nothing to do with bad eBay users, but more along with the topic that has been in discussion in this own thread lately: international shipping and/or mail.

Ok. How long does a tracking number stay on a post office's website? Even after completion and success of shipment.
Shimrod

Post by Shimrod »

From my own experience, it seems that it may vary depending on the country. I tried on Japonese tracking numbers and was able to recover information from one EMS number from November and a registered one from early October. I don't have time nor the will to do a benchmark though.
Manta

Post by Manta »

Thanks for the help Shimrod, 60 days seems to be the norm here in USA. And for other countries a Iittle bit more than 60 days, it seems.

The reason I asked is because some buyers are quick to open a dispute, even though due to the pastfestivities mail can be seriously delayed for delivery.

I have heard of occasions where some parcels can take more than 3 months to arrive, but then how can one prove that? When buyer has gotten his refund back and also his items after 3 months (just painting a scenario here). It would be bullshit if this happens and seriously unfair to the seller.
Shimrod

Post by Shimrod »

I don't see the point here. If they open a file, you can easily track registered mail to most countries and prove that you sent the parcel and it is on its way. So I guess a seller sending registered mail have not much chance of being scammed.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Manta wrote:I have heard of occasions where some parcels can take more than 3 months to arrive, but then how can one prove that? When buyer has gotten his refund back and also his items after 3 months (just painting a scenario here). It would be bullshit if this happens and seriously unfair to the seller.
Be aware of where you ship and how you ship. It should never take more then 3-4 weeks maximum for delivery, There are reasons why a lot of people refuse to ship to certain countries.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Avenger wrote:
Manta wrote:I have heard of occasions where some parcels can take more than 3 months to arrive, but then how can one prove that? When buyer has gotten his refund back and also his items after 3 months (just painting a scenario here). It would be bullshit if this happens and seriously unfair to the seller.
Be aware of where you ship and how you ship. It should never take more then 3-4 weeks maximum for delivery, There are reasons why a lot of people refuse to ship to certain countries.
Items from Canada are sometimes shipped by boat (!), and if this is the case the items usually takes 6 - 7 weeks to arrive in Europe. Most serious Canadian sellers know how to avoid it, but it still happens on occasion.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Khnud wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Items from Canada are sometimes shipped by boat (!), and if this is the case the items usually takes 6 - 7 weeks to arrive in Europe. Most serious Canadian sellers know how to avoid it, but it still happens on occasion.
This would be the fault of the seller. If the seller ships the package by "ground" instead of "airmail" then it will go by boat. Of course this route is cheaper but will take at least 3 times as long. I have never or ever will ship anything by ground over seas. The cost savings is not worth the extra time. For example, a CD sent by airmail in a standard bubble mailer with a case costs roughly $9.00 USD and takes 1-3 weeks to Europe depending on the country. The same package shipped by ground will cost about $6.00 USD and take 7-9 weeks.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

I once received an unregistered package from Germany >6 months after it was shipped. Sometimes strange things happen.