Bargains?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

humus wrote:Someone just offered me his original Soulside journey LP for €10. Some people are just too friendly (he knows what it's worth on ebay/discogs). Told him I can't accept the offer and will pay him €25.
Now we are fuckin' talking!!! I don't know if there are some bullshit in this story (sorry man, hard not to be suspicious in these days) but if it is so, this is the true metal-spirit I'm talking about!!! Both of you acted like fellow metalheads and not like seller and buyer!
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Had this on my watch list, forgot to bid. :-/

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/MANILLA-ROAD-ope ... 27e1517a0c
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
humus

Post by humus »

Priamos wrote:
humus wrote:Someone just offered me his original Soulside journey LP for €10. Some people are just too friendly (he knows what it's worth on ebay/discogs). Told him I can't accept the offer and will pay him €25.
Now we are fuckin' talking!!! I don't know if there are some bullshit in this story (sorry man, hard not to be suspicious in these days) but if it is so, this is the true metal-spirit I'm talking about!!! Both of you acted like fellow metalheads and not like seller and buyer!
It's an older person and I've been buying from him regularly. He always has fair proces and knew I was looking for that Darkthrone record. But there's a difference between a fair price and basically giving it away.
If this had been some random guy offering records I would have paid the 10€. But in this case I wanted to pay a higher price!
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AXIS-Slightly-T ... 58ae3d7fee

Still available. Nice chance to own this great LP for a fair price.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Khnud wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/AXIS-Slightly-T ... 58ae3d7fee

Still available. Nice chance to own this great LP for a fair price.

thanks, but i think the seller doesn ´t ship to europe. I find a lot of cheap stuff on ebay.uk, US and German but many don´t ship outside their countrys.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

There's no point in sending cheap records overseas since eBay started charging final value fees on shipping. On a $15 record you might net $8 after all the fees. A Swiss collector contacted me once about shipping a $10 LP to him, I politely offered a private sale but no response. No point in taking the effort to pack and ship and deal with customs forms when, after gas to go to the post office I might actually lose money on the damn transaction.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

perishinflames wrote:There's no point in sending cheap records overseas since eBay started charging final value fees on shipping. On a $15 record you might net $8 after all the fees. A Swiss collector contacted me once about shipping a $10 LP to him, I politely offered a private sale but no response. No point in taking the effort to pack and ship and deal with customs forms when, after gas to go to the post office I might actually lose money on the damn transaction.
Not trying to start and trouble but the final Value fee is 10% and paypal fee is 3%

If the record sold for $10 you would receive $8.70

I think a better Question is are you paying TAXES on that $8.70?
or acting like it never happened?
"I am NOT a collector"
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

The fee is 10% on cost AND shipping. So for a $10 record say $31 total you're getting charged fees on. So yeah I might get $6 but I'd rather take my chances waiting forever on Discogs or trying to sell on forums. Those few dollars each time add up.

And no I don't pay taxes, I'm small time selling things I don't want anymore not consistently selling big rarities like you do.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

perishinflames wrote:
And no I don't pay taxes, I'm small time selling things I don't want anymore not consistently selling big rarities like you do.
You do know this doesnt matter right? at least not to the IRS

Also if it's just the $2-3 thats the problem add it to your shipping cost
If your saying shipping is $21 for 1 LP then charge $23.50
"I am NOT a collector"
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

If the IRS wants to come after me for a thousand dollars or so more power to them.

In any case I hate eBay and only use it when absolutely necessary, paypal sucks but is a necessary evil. Almost everything I've sold in the last year was through this forum and discogs and I feel like I got fair prices for everything with minimal hassle and no scammers initiating bullshit paypal claims.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Isn't there a limit on how much $$$ you can sell for before the IRS start investigating? It's like that in Sweden, you're allowed to sell for a certain amount privately over a year without the government interfering, but if you start earning larger sums it counts as a business and you need to pay taxes.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

This might explain why so many US sellers list their records with horrible buy-now prices only nowadays ...

However, in Germany as a private person you can sell as much as you want coz it does not count how valuable or big your record collection is/was, it counts as "private seller", means no taxes for the IRS. There is even a court decision you can always refer to in case someone wants to harass you with something like that.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

All forms of income are taxable in the USA
If you received payment you SHOULD be paying tax on it. Large or Small

Yes this would be a Huge job to police SO for now they have limited it to larger sellers.

If you do over 20K AND 200 transaction in a year Paypal sends your info to the IRS.

But if for some reason you get audited by the IRS they don't care how little you made they will want there share.

For me I would rather be caught for murder by the Police then caught by the IRS for not paying Taxes.
"I am NOT a collector"
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

All forms of income are taxable in the USA
If you received payment you SHOULD be paying tax on it. Large or Small

Yes this would be a Huge job to police SO for now they have limited it to larger sellers.

If you do over 20K AND 200 transaction in a year Paypal sends your info to the IRS.

But if for some reason you get audited by the IRS they don't care how little you made they will want there share.

For me I would rather be caught for murder by the Police then caught by the IRS for not paying Taxes.
"I am NOT a collector"
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

So technically if you have a garage sale, you need to pay income tax on all items sold there too? Even kids selling their toys to the neighbour's kids?

As a Swede, who is used to very high taxes, this makes little if no sense to me. As you say, it's totally impossible to control. Laws that are completely ungovernable should be either altered or removed, in order to improve the efficiency of the government. My two cents.

Makes me curious though, if I sell +20K on ebay.com will Paypal report me to the IRS even though I'm not an American?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight