New ebay terms to prevent ending auctions early

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
humus

New ebay terms to prevent ending auctions early

Post by humus »

Split the conversation into it's own thread. /Mod

Information which could make the rare records and CD market shiver:

As of Oct 1, 2012:

ALL AUCTION STYLE LISTINGS ENDED EARLY WILL BE ASSESED A FEE BASED ON THE ESTIMATE COST OF THE FINAL VALUE THAT EBAY WILL ESTIMATE BASED ON SIMILAR ITEMS THAT HAVE SOLD IN THE PAST. THIS MEANS IF YOU'RE SELLING STUFF ON EBAY AND END EARLY, EBAY CAN CHARGE YOU IF YOU DECIDE TO SELL OFF EBAY.. SO YOU WILL NOT BE AVOIDING EBAY FEES FOR SELLING OFF EBAY.

THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO BUY IT NOW LISTINGS SINCE YOU PAY A FEE TO LIST AT THE BEGINNING OF THE AUCTION.

Ebay can $uck it
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I knew it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Here's the problem though, ebay knows nothing about the difference between bootlegs and originals. So are they just going to base the fee from every listing of the same name? Sounds rather retarded to me. I guess this will help keep some guys honest. I know I have watched listings with the intent to bid only to have them end early before I placed one.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Humus, do you have a link to that?

I can see sellers staying away from ebay after money grabbing bullshit like that!!
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Dark Stranger wrote:You have GOT to be kidding me.

Humus, do you have a link to that?

I can see sellers staying away from ebay after money grabbing bullshit like that!!
Sadly humus is right:
http://announcements.ebay.com/2012/10/s ... -listings/
malegys

Post by malegys »

I can imagine Discogs picking up alot more sellers because of this now. Ebay has become a total arse rape :(
"Do you like Wenom?"
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The idea behind this is a good one in my opinion. However, there are flaws as I had already mentioned. Advertising isn't free and if you are using ebay's services to advertise your stuff and then ending it early to avoid the fees then you are theoretically breaking the terms of service and scamming the company. I've never sold on discogs for example so I don't know how the comparison for fees is over there.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

What's the bid deal? It's only for auctions ended early.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Khnud wrote:It's only for auctions ended early.
... which is forbidden too (unless item is really broken or some other real reason).

I will never understand sellers ending auctions early.

99% of the times they would take MORE money leaving the auctions run (even considering the final value fees). It's RIGHT for sneaking a better price that they receive private offers.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Yeah, I mean we've been criticizing sellers who end auctions early on this forum before. And now that ebay takes measures, it's bad?

I don't get it. Please explain.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
humus

Post by humus »

What if you put something up, regret it later and pull the auction?

In general though, what bothers me most about this is that it's all about the money again for ebay. They are a business, I understand that their aim is to make profit.
However they refuse to do anything about bootleg sellers. They refuse to do anything about scammer buyers. They rafuse to do anything about shill-bidding. If you've ever contacted them about an issue you have, I atleast have never received a non-standardised or usefull reply.
However when it comes to something what costs them money, ending auctions early, they can come up with a solution.
They could atleast pretend to give a shit about their users/customers.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I had my selling ability revoked because they suspected I worked with a banned seller I never heard of, they want me to call them about it, and it's impossible to reach them on the international number, I get a voice saying the number does not exist. I can reach them on the US number, but there they will refuse to help me and refer to the international number.

I would really want to see them caring a bit more about their users.
gigadeth

Post by gigadeth »

Japan Yahoo auction has same rule. the fee is 500 YEN (about $7)
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

It's a good rule and I applaud eGay for it. Hopefully with such rules, and with eBay/paypal reporting sale figures to IRS and sending 1099 forms to sellers, a lot of the pointless buy-to-resell crap will disappear.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Why don't they just disable the possibility of ending an auction prematurely?

Honestly I thought there already was a similar rule to prevent this. If not then not a day too soon. "What if you put something up, regret it later and pull the auction?". Well I'm sorry but you shouldn't.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Well I assume on some rare occasions there are valid reasons to cancel an auction early. Like for instance I was selling my old tablet, and I incidentally dropped it and it broke with several people bidding on it already...

Retracting bids should be the next to go!