Downloading issues (again)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

quietus wrote:In the US and everywhere else I guess record stores are disappearing at lightning speed......I know who killed them as well.
The fact that you can buy almost any record you want through the internet, sometimes directly from the label and save a few bucks due to the elimination of the middle man and also get it delivered at your home?
daniel

Post by daniel »

"I am very sorry, that your spelling is abysmal."

The occasional misplaced letter is quite different from your display. Funny how you found the time to respond to this though and not to any of the the things that actually matter.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I would have avoided my last few stupid posts had I been sober :)
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Now that Nick has settled down and daniel has sobered up hopefully the fighting will cease :)
quietus wrote:@ Nightsblood-
I will do this without the insults, which I realize are not helping me get my original point across.
Thank you.
I don't have an issue with people having mp3s or whatever of out of print/hard to find super expensive stuff etc..... No problem at all....

I dont have a problem with people using the internet for hearing stuff and buying records...it;s true if it wasnt for the old net helping and making bbtad possible you'd see 2 guys sitting in a room with 498 extra records in boxes...
:)
I have an issue with people who post albums for download(and those who download them) which are currently for sale and that the band /label has expressly requested not to. I realize this is a very antiquated notion, but still belive this is"right".
Fair enough, and I don't disagree with this sentiment. All I originally wanted to point out was that some of those who d/l new releases do buy the release afterwards, they just d/l it first b/c they want to make sure they're buying a record they'll like, and it's hard to criticize folks for trying to be smart about spending their money, especially considering today's economy.

Heck, I paid for a d/l of the new Stormwarrior yesterday, and I'll pay for a CD copy when I get the chance to buy it, so I'm buying their album TWICE! :lol:
In the US and everywhere else I guess record stores are disappearing at lightning speed......I know who killed them as well.
Oh yeah, the legal and illegal d/ling has hurt 'em a lot. The new generation just doesn't think of albums as physical products anymore. Silly kids.
We do this shit cuz we love metal and want to get the records we want in our collections and into like minded people's as well. We are certainly not elitist in any way.....
Given the response BBT&D releases get, you guys obviously know what you're doing, cheers & keep up the good work!
Anyway no more insults from me will be forthcoming, except for that guy who had an issue with the Pagan Altar book.....what a cunt. :lol:
:) I sorta got the impression he had never seen the original pressing and thus didn't realize y'all faithfully reproduced the book; he seemed to think you created it from scratch yourself. Honest mistake if he'd never seen the original.

OK, enough of all this, now please hurry up and get that Robspierre release finished- I don't need to hear that one online to know I'll buy a copy! :lol:
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Downloading today is so gay.
The TRUE downloading was in the pre-ADSL era (and with analog phone lines), when you had to spend more hours for downloading a CD, than going to a foreign festival to actually buy it. Those were the days :roll:
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Only 28.8k is real :wink:
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

who remembers audiogalaxy? lol!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Dodens Grav wrote:I didn't read the rest of what you said, but obviously legal downloading and illegal downloading are completely and entirely different things. One is an agreed upon mutual exchange and the other isn't.
Yeah, I'm going to resurrect this thread because the website wouldn’t load for me when it was still active.

That statement isn’t true at all for the sole reason that in some countries downloading music isn't illegal under any circumstances. If laws that make downloading music illegal aren’t passed does that mean that a mutual exchange still took place? I don't think so.

I agree that people that download entire hard drives full of music are thieves and have no consideration for those involved in the creation of the music but downloading an album because you aren’t familiar with the content and want to educate yourself prior to spending your hard earned money on a copy is fair. If you see an ad in the paper for a car that you are interested in, do you not arrange to view and perhaps test-drive the car before making the purchase? This goes hand in hand regardless if it's music or a physical object. Any smart shopper does research before making a purchase to ensure that they are not getting ripped off. Blind purchases are not wise ones.

Although not directly related to this topic because it concerns modern day music, the same applies to content that is either out of your price range due to collector frenzy/supplier mark-up or extremely rare. In this case it is the artist/labels own fault that the their content is being downloaded because they are not making any effort to make the music more widely available to those that actually want a copy.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Avenger wrote:I agree that people that download entire hard drives full of music are thieves and have no consideration for those involved in the creation of the music
I am a thief and a loser, I guess. I have a terabyte hard drive filled with metal (lot of FLAC), but it's mostly stuff that I would like to buy if I could find/afford it. Or stuff I have on vinyl that I would like a CD rip for portable use (why spend $200+ on Exumer CD when I can get the LP for 1/10 of that?). Everyone has their reasons and excuses, and it may not be right but I really don't think my large digital library is a bad thing. I support new bands/reissue labels I love whenever I can, and spend ridiculous (by 99.999% of the population's standards, but probably not a lot by this forum's standards) amounts on rare old albums. I think it evens out. OF course I look down on those who only download and have no interest in ever paying for anything, but for people who like the music, buy when they can afford, and download to expand their tastes/knowledge, I see no problem.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

perishinflames wrote:
Avenger wrote:I agree that people that download entire hard drives full of music are thieves and have no consideration for those involved in the creation of the music
I am a thief and a loser, I guess. I have a terabyte hard drive filled with metal (lot of FLAC), but it's mostly stuff that I would like to buy if I could find/afford it. Or stuff I have on vinyl that I would like a CD rip for portable use (why spend $200+ on Exumer CD when I can get the LP for 1/10 of that?). Everyone has their reasons and excuses, and it may not be right but I really don't think my large digital library is a bad thing. I support new bands/reissue labels I love whenever I can, and spend ridiculous (by 99.999% of the population's standards, but probably not a lot by this forum's standards) amounts on rare old albums. I think it evens out. OF course I look down on those who only download and have no interest in ever paying for anything, but for people who like the music, buy when they can afford, and download to expand their tastes/knowledge, I see no problem.
I think that your situation falls into the last paragraph of my post in this thread. I have downloaded and kept in the past Militia's EP and demo's and then once the compilation re-issue came out it was deleted. It's just not realistic to fork out $3000.00+ for the EP alone.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
daniel

Post by daniel »

I don't see why it's the "honourable" thing to do to delete MP3s when you own the CD/LP, guess what, sometimes you might want to listen to the music on your computer or on the MP3-player... Just think it's absurd saying files should be deleted when you own a physical copy... FOR WHAT???
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

daniel wrote:Just think it's absurd saying files should be deleted when you own a physical copy... FOR WHAT???
I agree with you.
Of some records I own I do also have Mp3 rips in order to burn CD-Rs for myself (metal party etc.) or for friends.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

daniel wrote:I don't see why it's the "honourable" thing to do to delete MP3s when you own the CD/LP, guess what, sometimes you might want to listen to the music on your computer or on the MP3-player... Just think it's absurd saying files should be deleted when you own a physical copy... FOR WHAT???
I make my own superior rips.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

and some people just dont find the reason to have extra copies if you already own the original, like,for WHAT!? :P
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Avenger wrote:I make my own superior rips.
There are quite a few sites specializing in bit-accurate lossless EAC rips :wink:

I do rip my own LPs to replace shitty rips found online when I have the time. I prefer to listen to "the real thing" when possible, but I do a lot of listening on my daily commute and generally when I'm not at home, and my digital library is pretty important to me.