Downloading issues (again)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I already explained EXACTLY why I still want to have MP3s of albums I own physical copies of, and playing around saying those reasons are stupid is wilfully childish. Not only do I keep the MP3s of records I buy I also download MP3s of LP:s I already have, as it's 1.574 Billion times easier than ripping the vinyl if I want to listen to the music when I go cycling, jogging, skating or in the car for example. Arguing with that is just fucking stupid.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

daniel wrote:I already explained EXACTLY why I still want to have MP3s of albums I own physical copies of, and playing around saying those reasons are stupid is wilfully childish. Not only do I keep the MP3s of records I buy I also download MP3s of LP:s I already have, as it's 1.574 Billion times easier than ripping the vinyl if I want to listen to the music when I go cycling, jogging, skating or in the car for example. Arguing with that is just fucking stupid.
Not really because 80% of the time the common rips floating around the internet sound like shit and are really only good for previewing the content. Demos I can understand because in most cases these are old worn out tapes with little to no budget so the recording quality is abysmal but for full length LP's I really don't see why someone wouldn’t want to make their own high quality rip if they own a physical copy of the material.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

Avenger wrote:
daniel wrote:I already explained EXACTLY why I still want to have MP3s of albums I own physical copies of, and playing around saying those reasons are stupid is wilfully childish. Not only do I keep the MP3s of records I buy I also download MP3s of LP:s I already have, as it's 1.574 Billion times easier than ripping the vinyl if I want to listen to the music when I go cycling, jogging, skating or in the car for example. Arguing with that is just fucking stupid.
Not really because 80% of the time the common rips floating around the internet sound like shit and are really only good for previewing the content. Demos I can understand because in most cases these are old worn out tapes with little to no budget so the recording quality is abysmal but for full length LP's I really don't see why someone wouldn’t want to make their own high quality rip if they own a physical copy of the material.
because ripping vinyls is a pain in the ass. for example (as I experienced, maybe others have better skills) I have always some annoying background noise on the rip, some kind of droning distortion (very low but hearable) caused by cabling, plugs on the soundcard or whatever that I can't get rid off no matter what I try.. :roll:

plus, the ripping, cutting, tagging etc. itself IS a lot of work and as Daniel said, downloading the album is much easier. I do it for exact the same reason. 95% of the mp3s I got I also have as "physical" copies and at home, I will always put on the LP. the mp3s have no whatsoever "value", collectorwise so they don't mean anything for me. they are just easier to handle for mobile devices..
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

sagrotan wrote:
Avenger wrote:
because ripping vinyls is a pain in the ass. for example (as I experienced, maybe others have better skills) I have always some annoying background noise on the rip, some kind of droning distortion (very low but hearable) caused by cabling, plugs on the soundcard or whatever that I can't get rid off no matter what I try.. :roll:

plus, the ripping, cutting, tagging etc. itself IS a lot of work and as Daniel said, downloading the album is much easier. I do it for exact the same reason. 95% of the mp3s I got I also have as "physical" copies and at home, I will always put on the LP. the mp3s have no whatsoever "value", collectorwise so they don't mean anything for me. they are just easier to handle for mobile devices..
This just comes down to being tech savvy I suppose. Back when I used to collect the odd few vinyls I didn't have an issue making my own rips. Even ripping CD's today I go through and clean up the files and fill out all of the ID3 tags manually. It's always been a labour of love knowing that the final product is better then the same set of files everybody else has that they downloaded from strappado's blog. I guess you can say that I'm anal in that aspect.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

with CDs it is not an issue at all, I rip those myself too and edit the tags and stuff, with the other formats (everything I cannot put into the drive of the pc :D ) I am just too lazy I guess :wink:
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I had that droning noise too occasionally - I found that by unplugging radios (I don't have a TV, maybe this can cause it too) it eliminated the drone.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

sagrotan wrote:I am just too lazy I guess :wink:
Ha, you are giving the hard working German stereotype a bad name!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Merged several off-topic posts from this thread.
quietus wrote:Downloading a record to see if you like it to save yourself $15.00 is encouraged an applauded here.
We discussed this to a great extent in a previous thread. In that thread at first you made some really degrading comments about people who use this policy for their purchases but in the end and in some sort of apologizing tone you said that you didn't have a problem with it. Now, did you really mean it or not?
quietus wrote: Label owners who put up four or five thousand of their own money and do all the work but do a smaller pressing to see if it sells only to put the money back into a repress so more people can have them are ridiculed.
Please don't generalize it. Just because 2-3 people have said that were against what greg did it doesn't mean that the whole forum thinks the same way.
Last edited by ION BRITTON on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
quietus

Post by quietus »

ION BRITTON wrote:
quietus wrote:Downloading a record to see if you like it to save yourself $15.00 is encouraged an applauded here.
We discussed this to a great extent in a previous thread. In that thread at first you made some really degrading comments about people who use this policy for their purchases but in the end and in some sort of apologizing tone you said that you didn't have a problem with it. Now, did you really mean it or not?

quietus wrote: Label owners who put up four or five thousand of their own money and do all the work but do a smaller pressing to see if it sells only to put the money back into a repress so more people can have them are ridiculed.
Please don't generalize it. Just because 2-3 people have said that were against what greg did it doesn't mean that the whole forum thinks the same way.
Regarding downloading of a release that is currently available:I think you misunderstand me. I absolutely have a problem with it. What I said is the name calling was preventing me from getting my point across.

Regarding generalizing: werd up.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

quietus wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:

Regarding downloading of a release that is currently available:I think you misunderstand me. I absolutely have a problem with it. What I said is the name calling was preventing me from getting my point across.

Regarding generalizing: werd up.
Arent these your words?
I don't have an issue with people having mp3s or whatever of out of print/hard to find super expensive stuff etc..... No problem at all....

I dont have a problem with people using the internet for hearing stuff and buying records...it;s true if it wasnt for the old net helping and making bbtad possible you'd see 2 guys sitting in a room with 498 extra records in boxes...

I have an issue with people who post albums for download(and those who download them) which are currently for sale and that the band /label has expressly requested not to. I realize this is a very antiquated notion, but still belive this is"right".
I haven't misunderstood you at all however I have to tell you once again that if you think you're in a forum where people only download and never buy anything nor support labels, then you're definitely wrong. Most people here surely do download things (new & old) and while they have limited budgets they try to support bands and labels whenever they can. In other places in the internet it might be a bit different but that's how the situation is here.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
quietus

Post by quietus »

Yes, these are my words.

"I have an issue with people who post albums for download(and those who download them) which are currently for sale and that the band /label has expressly requested not to. I realize this is a very antiquated notion, but still belive this is"right".
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

quietus wrote:Yes, these are my words.

"I have an issue with people who post albums for download(and those who download them) which are currently for sale and that the band /label has expressly requested not to. I realize this is a very antiquated notion, but still belive this is"right".
Sure, but that's not what is implied here
Downloading a record to see if you like it to save yourself $15.00 is encouraged an applauded here.

quietus

Post by quietus »

I'll try to be as clear as I can.

I am personally against the downloading of records that are currently available for release. I realize many people here do just that. I am not implying anything I am saying that straight out.
daniel

Post by daniel »

That totally contradict what you already said:

"I dont have a problem with people using the internet for hearing stuff and buying records...it;s true if it wasnt for the old net helping and making bbtad possible you'd see 2 guys sitting in a room with 498 extra records in boxes..."

To be against people making informed purchases is pretty stupid yes. And like Ion Britton said your smart-ass attitude of thinking people horde and steal without giving anything back is out of line on this forum.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

quietus wrote:I don't have an issue with people having mp3s or whatever of out of print/hard to find super expensive stuff etc..... No problem at all....

I dont have a problem with people using the internet for hearing stuff and buying records...it;s true if it wasnt for the old net helping and making bbtad possible you'd see 2 guys sitting in a room with 498 extra records in boxes...

I have an issue with people who post albums for download(and those who download them) which are currently for sale and that the band /label has expressly requested not to. I realize this is a very antiquated notion, but still belive this is"right".
What is it you guys don't understand? He doesn't have a problem with people using the internet to hear stuff, granted "stuff" is pretty vague but I assume he means samples, which BBTAD tend to provide whenever they release something not very well known. Downloading the entire thing from a blog is a different matter. I can usually tell by the samples if something is going to be up my alley, or not.