Pri$less

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Glockose

Pri$less

Post by Glockose »

Vibrations of Doom

"I've been at this a looong time. Roughly 19 years now. And I know there's scores of people the world over enjoying the long hours of my hard work. Unlike most T.V. preachers, yes, I'm asking for money, and damn happy to do so. I look at it like this: I'm offering the world something great. Many 80's metal bands in the earliest of days didn't even have a web presence, and when their fans wanted info on these bands, 90 percent of the time they were directed to my web site. Many of these albums people never even knew what they sounded like. So I look at it this way: if you come to my site, and you spend time here and you actually LEARN something, you owe me money. If you go to my site and you get nothing at all out of it, then you don't owe me a thing. It's as simple as that my friends. However, I know that many of you who come here can't say you don't walk away learning about some new band, or reading something cool in an interview with your favorite artist.

Teachers get paid, T.V. preachers get paid, and they actually allow you to walk away with knowledge of things unknown. The entertainment value alone is enough; I know people who have said they spent hours and hours listening to the classic albums on my site. Then there's the radio show even. Yes, I'm asking for money in the form of donations or what have you, but like I said, I know there are those of you who are walking away with something GOOD. And I believe that the hours upon hours I spend updating this site, and working on a new radio show, putting a music magazine together, that's WORTH something. So unlike many TV preachers who constantly beg for your money without really offering anything good, I am ALWAYS offering SOMETHING for you to do here. We'll always be around. We'll provide free stuff for you to do. How about helping us continue to do so? Give and give generously. You know the rewards will far outweigh the money that you DO give."
"I am NOT a collector"
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yeah, seen this posted around a lot this week- what can ya say? :wink:

I'm probably in the minority, but I've honestly never gotten jack from VoD's site. I tried a few times years ago but the audio files either refused to load or sounded like absolute crap on the few occasions I got something to play. I quickly learned not to bother.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

yeah, priceless no doubt. I have never used this website.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Why did it get so quit around here?

What happened to all the folks who loved all these site given up music for FREE.

Anyone have anything to say about this kind of thing??
"I am NOT a collector"
GJ

Post by GJ »

Nope.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I used to listen to some of the classic albums back in the modem connection days, so I've donated $10 out of sheer nostalgic feeling I guess. Otherwise I do not share nor agree to this "you owe me money for my free website" logic. But each their own I guess.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

glockose wrote:Why did it get so quit around here?

What happened to all the folks who loved all these site given up music for FREE.

Anyone have anything to say about this kind of thing??
It often gets quiet here on Friday afternoons :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

@Glockose

I don't know what your intension is by posting this VoD statement.
Do you want to upset people against VoD or what is the reason of this quotation???
Do you feel pissed off that Steven Cannon is asking for donations in order to keep VoD running?

(this is not meant offending you, but I really don't understand why you're acting this way)
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Since there is a VoD link on every rare band page on metalarchives, I tried several times to get "real audio file at VoD" but it never worked... I don't know why.

So I'm not gonna give anything :)
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Yes, I was having problem with real audio filess too when tying to use VoD some thre years ago or so. And since I`m not much skilled on IT things I gave up soon .

That said I didn`t know there had been an e-zine from the very beginning of the 90s :shock:
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

i remember trying to load VoD in my University days(98-02),when mp3s were a rare commodity.seldom did it ever work.
and sad truth is it has been obsolete,to say the least,for a decade now.real player files buffering at 32kbps? yeah maybe..for 1997,it was real cool.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I guess apart from the older generation, for the most of us younger people, the VOD site (along with Metalpage/ Metal Treasures) was the perfect source to find out that the 80s offered much more than just Maiden, Metallica, King Diamond and all the other well known bands. For me it was this site, I actually listened for the first time to bands such as Breaker (Can), Satanic Rites, Adramelch, Northwind, Breeze Least, etc., of which I head read before. Personally, I never bothered for the low quality of the files, as I used the files in order to just get a picture of the band and to sort out if the record is worth for hunting or not...I do not use this site anymore for a long time, as the player I have does not play the files, but I guess that it is still the quickest way to check out a band....
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Nasty Uwe wrote:@Glockose

I don't know what your intension is by posting this VoD statement.
Do you want to upset people against VoD or what is the reason of this quotation???
Do you feel pissed off that Steven Cannon is asking for donations in order to keep VoD running?

(this is not meant offending you, but I really don't understand why you're acting this way)
A few weeks/months back I said I didn't like the idea of folks Posting sites like this and you all wanted to tell me music should be FREE and how Great sites like this were.

About the same time Strapido??? put a small link for Donations on his site and you all got up in arms to the point that he came here and tried to defend himself.

Now VOD said he has earned/Deserves & should be payed and if you don't then well your stealing from him and his site and all the FREE music folks here have nothing to say? That is my question.

I have nothing against VOD he lives very close to me and our paths have NEVER crossed. Really I have nothing against them

I just thought there would be a lot of folks yelling about this and I AM VERY SUPRIZED there is not.
"I am NOT a collector"
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

glockose wrote: Now VOD said he has earned/Deserves & should be payed and if you don't then well your stealing from him and his site and all the FREE music folks here have nothing to say? That is my question.

I just thought there would be a lot of folks yelling about this and I AM VERY SUPRIZED there is not.
Okay, I think I understand what you're confused about.
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

What I see here is a big time capitalist mocking another capitalist (wannabe). 8)