BOOTLEGS VS MP3

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
J.K.

BOOTLEGS VS MP3

Post by J.K. »

Hi there,

I am sure that you feel concerned for the bands you like.

So what do you think is the best between a bootleg (well done), or virtual files ?

MP3s suck when you can buy a CD or LP, but if the CD or LP is totally illegal, then it's really not cool for the band, (and for you if it is badly done).

On the other some illegal reissues are cool and I prefer 100 times an illegal repress than a folder or CD-R. So, what do you think of all this ??

And to conclude, how can we know when it's a bootleg ? For example I got "Death or Glory" by Heavy Load on CD. No bar code, no nothing... I'm pretty sure that it is a bootleg. :/ But I can't be totally sure.

To conclude, I would like again to have your opinion on this: It seems (from what I seen on the internet, expecially on e-bay) that GREECE is the beloved home of bootleggers. Because ever time I'm looking for a hard to find release, a greek seller got it in MINT condition..... at an affordable price. So my suspicions are high with Greek sellers...
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I'd never buy a bootleg unless it's really cheap (or if I got duped into buying it of course). If for whatever reason there's problems getting a legit reissue I think the best way is sharing the music through MP3/CDR/dubbed tapes or whatever. As many of you know, I'm all for file sharing and all, specially with rare records but I hate when people make money out of it. That's why filesharing is not the same as bootlegging in my opinion.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

The best thing is to have a bootleg done with mp3s, cool mix :lol:
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Neither of them :)
MP3s totally put me off - I stopped downloading music in 2007 and I don`t think I will ever do that. Even before that I would get only samples, or 1-2 songs off an album jus to check whether it`s worth the purchase. When Youtube and Myspace things had appeared I felt I would need that no longer.
Other thing is that I`m extremely lazy and to press the buy it now button on eBay looks definitely easier to me :)

And I`m not interested in bootlegs either. I`ve got only two CDs that are decidedly illegal (although I didin`t know that upon buying) and a few others about which I`m sort of suspicious. Looking after unofficial releases just doesn`t turn me on.

Someone may claim in this way I lose a chance to hear shitloads of obscure music and he`ll be right. But I couldn`t care less; the original records I own will do for me, and what with all those re-releases appearing I cannot imagine myself wasting time for MP3.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Helstar wrote:The best thing is to have a bootleg done with mp3s, cool mix :lol:

hahaha

And I think it's quite common !! :twisted:

J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Also, sometimes it's just hard to determine if it's legit or not.

For example many labels claims that their stuff are OFFICIAL/BAND APPROVED.

You buy it.

And 3 months later, the band make a statement like "we have never been told of that reissue", etc.

That was the case with Master's Hammer reissue on NWN! (I didn't buy them), and Sarcofagus "Envoy of Death" on Poptori.

So it's hard to find the truth...

ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

There are numerous threads about bootlegs and mp3s, it's an issue that has been discussed a lot in this forum. I doubt our regular members will have something new to add in this thread. For reference check out for example this

http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1307
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

There's absolutely no other answer than FUCK OFF TO BOOTLEGS!
If you play or have played in a band then you'd understand. All the years you didn't earn ANY Cent, just paid and paid, paid the studio, paid the technique, paid to produce your demos and in return you didn't get anything back (means all your money is gone just for fun to keep the band going) and then any SHITHEAD comes, pressing a boottleg of YOUR material, stealing YOUR songs, stealing everything you was living for in a short period of your life and makes big money while he didn't even try to ask for permission.
MP3's might be crap, but seriously if bootleger shitheads come up with the excuse "I want to make their music accessable for everyone!" then why don't share the MP3's??? They'll make their way easily thru the internet and everyone will hear that band that you CLAIM to love so much. Bootleggers are just scum in my eyes.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I would only buy a bootleg, if it was previously unreleased or released as an impossible to get demo. If an album exists on vinyl and there is a bootleg reissued on vinyl I would hardly buy it. Surely, there are some exceptions but I mainly avoid them. I am mainly into vinyl, but I would die to get an original Crillson CD than the bootleg LP.
About mp3`s I use them only to listen to an album before buying it.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

For me it totally depends on the bootleg... But for me the bootleg is not for the sake of music, it's for the sake of having the different packaging or a live show I wasn't able to go to... thus replica bootlegs mean nothing for me, that is just wrong... I find some bootleg "labels" interesting to collect for this reason, like Hot Metal Records, Reborn Classics etc.

Now, even if I would have a bootleg version of an album, this does not mean that I consider it enough, I would still be looking for the original CD/LP/Tape where one exists, because there is nothing quite like owning the official release(s).

MP3 may be a handy format but I don't think it is the best way to distribute music, there are no booklet to hold in your hand, there is no case to open, there is no "smell".
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

pretty common issue around here..so ill keep it simple

no boots for me, but as Herkus Monte mentioned, i own 4 boot Cds a couple thinking that were legit the other 2 because of the isane prices they go for (death metal compilation and Legend,go figure out)

no mp3 either,rarely i donwload stuff (mainly from Poisonoise or BigFootKit blog) and it last no longer than 2 months in my pc either way beacuse i get a legit copy of it,CD or Vynil, I dont care as long as its official

and about recognizing a boot, we have several expert members in the Matrix number (CDs) issue around here :wink:
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

http://shop.ebay.fr/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=2 ... Categories

how sweet....

Now I am a warned guy. 8)

daniel

Post by daniel »

The German Death Metal comp?
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

daniel wrote:The German Death Metal comp?
that one, i dont have a clue who made the Cd i have,but looks decent
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

Warepire wrote: I find some bootleg "labels" interesting to collect for this reason, like Hot Metal Records, Reborn Classics etc.
Yep, and you raise a good point here - how do people feel about bootlegs of items that are no longer available? Such as the Phoenix Records NWOBHM stuff? I picked up the Hell and Virtue 7" bootlegs at Hammer Of Doom and I love them. I'd far rather have a €10 bootleg than a €100 original.