Recent Metal finds (2011)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

Avenger wrote:The format is irrelevant.
if that was true, buying expensive CDs when cheap vinyl is available made even less sense in the eyes of some :?

apart from this, there are more criteria than musical quality (which is also matter of taste, even when regarding Wheelz of Steel, 99,999% would agree about its lack of :D )
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

sagrotan wrote:
if that was true, buying expensive CDs when cheap vinyl is available made even less sense in the eyes of some :?

apart from this, there are more criteria than musical quality (which is also matter of taste, even when regarding Wheelz of Steel, 99,999% would agree about its lack of :D )
There's already a thread regarding the CD vs. vinyl battle. If you have a problem with one format then post your thoughts there. I'm discussing the actual record that was purchased here. The talent of the musicians can actually be measured and have nothing to do with tastes. The price that auction ended at is a perfect example of how cult status plays a more important role then musical ability to some.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

Avenger wrote:
sagrotan wrote:

There's already a thread regarding the CD vs. vinyl battle. If you have a problem with one format then post your thoughts there. I'm discussing the actual record that was purchased here. The talent of the musicians can actually be measured and have nothing to do with tastes. The price that auction ended at is a perfect example of how cult status plays a more important role then musical ability to some.
I have no problem at all and there doesn't always need to be a "vs" or "battle" about everything.. it is obvious that "cult" (and rarity, btw) is sometimes regarded higher than musical skills and for sure it is here. but why care? if you worry about people setting their values like that people can rate other values as well, that was perishinflames point and I personally think he has one here..

me personally can't understand spending $100 on Wheelz of Steel just as little as spending, say $50 or whatever on Detente - Recognize no Authority CD when the LP can be found for $5 - but as perish said, to each his own. or live and let live :wink:
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Griffin - Flight Of The Griffin CD

SPV Mid-Price Serie :wink:
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Avenger wrote:The talent of the musicians can actually be measured and have nothing to do with tastes.
So all those VH1 top 100 lists were actually right?

Mind:Blown
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Arrived today:

Crash - Endless Supply Of Pain CD, First edition with sticker.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Avenger wrote:
sagrotan wrote:

music and musician quality shall now be measured in Avengements (Av). So i guess since Wheelz Of Steel is the worst shit ever let's say it's 0 Av and something really good like Omen Battle Cry is maybe 120 Av. If you buy anything that's below 20 Av youre a stupid ass.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

:lol: :lol:
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Lots of AVs for these here, (mostly) new tapes:

ATTACKER BLOODY AXE - Antichristian Metal Axe
AXECUTER - Bangers Prevail
IRON DOGS – Ripping Torment
IRON KOBRA - Live At Crom's Place
MANDRAGORA - Steel Metal
MESSERSCHMITT - Demo'lition
METAL KING - The Blood Of A Living Past
METALUCIFER - Heavy Metal Hunting
TYRANT’S BLOOD - Crushing Onward Into Oblivion
WHIPSTRIKER - À Porta, A Guerra Civil
WITCHCURSE – Still Evil
WITCHING HOUR - Rise Of The Desecrated
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:IRON DOGS – Ripping Torment
75 avs for this one, it is quite good.

And I really don't get the "musical talent can be measured" bullshit. Anything can be measured. Can it be objectively measured? Hell no. If so, Wanky Steve Vai crap would be way better than Venom, and it's not. That's taste. All art (using the term loosely in this case, haha) is 100% dependent on taste, your argument is invalid.

And has been stated many times before, if you judge any of these terrible albums by metal standards, you fail. People don't listen to Kuster to headbang. It's a totally different way of looking at things here, firmly in the outsider music realm, really nothing to do with metal.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The skill of a member in a band can scientifically be proven in terms of ability. This has nothing to do with record sales. You guys are just pulling that out of your asses. For example, compare the atrocious guitar work in Wheelz Of Steel to say Marty Friedman. Understand now? This has nothing to do with format or taste. The price of this album is ridiculous because everyone knows that the album is musically talentless shit, but yet people still bid on the record based solely on cult status. That's where the problem lies.

I can scream incoherently at the top of my lungs while banging on a garbage can lid and record it. That doesn't mean that it's musically good in terms of musicianship and I think that we can all agree with that. But granted that someone is offering to bid on the recording 25 years down the road, now means that it's "art" and subjectively good based on personal taste? I don't think so.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
tomas

Post by tomas »

It's all just a matter of taste. In my opinion, most 90s thrash CDs are full of talentless garbage. It's not because someone can play, that the music they make is good.

Sometimes very badly performed music has a special charm, making it good. Have you ever heard The Shaggs - Philosophy Of The World? Three teenage sisters that can't keep time, can't play or sing in tune. It all sounds like they bought their instruments two weeks before recording the album. But it still is an amazing album that a lot of people actually like very much. And no, it's not just because of the 'cult status'.
But does it slay witches?
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Some CDs of the last weeks:

CD with Chinese symbols is SILVESTER SEE (ex-CRYSTAL ZONE and features some C.Z. songs).

Still waiting for VENDETTA "Search in the darkness" CD (even though the seller lives quite close to me :?) and MORBID SAINT "Spectrum of death" original Tape.
See the flash of lightning cutting the edge of steel!
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Avenger wrote:The skill of a member in a band can scientifically be proven in terms of ability.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI8834iCgo
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

There's nothing cult about Wheelz of Steel. The fact that few people know them here in this and two other forums doesn't make them cult. Also there's no point in trying to prove that their music is not technically flawless, we all know that and I don't remember anyone ever saying the opposite. But it's either you dig this thing or you don't, there's no in-between on this case. We obviously enjoy Wheelz of Steel and Killer Fox and Thrash Queen for different reasons than the ones we enjoy Iron Maiden for. Personally I'd rather spend my time tracking down the very last band of the Metal Enterprises catalogue rather than hunt an unknown shitty 90s thrash CD only band. To each his own, like perishinflames said.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart