Buying on Discogs?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
malegys

Buying on Discogs?

Post by malegys »

Anyone here use Discogs.com to buy metal stuff? Good/bad experiences? Similar to ebay (without the bidding)? opinions would be highly appreciated.
"Do you like Wenom?"
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I've bought quite a few times from there, had no problem with any of the sellers. You got to communicate with the seller more than you do in ebay in order to receive the invoice and to arrange payment, but generally it's not a big fuss. Don't know what happens with the cases of bad sellers because it has never occured to me.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
malegys

Post by malegys »

ok, thanks for the info,Ion! It's just i'm a little bit more wary about dealing with some sellers on there,because it doesn't seem so "protected" as Ebay.
But there's many bargains to be found on there anyway!
"Do you like Wenom?"
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I've used it once. Like Ion said, you have to be more active in arranging the deal, and I have no clue if they have any protection system, even if you use PayPal. Don't think their "protection policy" applies to any other site than ebay.

They seem to have some problems with the site too. Quite often I just get a blank page after typing a search or trying to log in to my account.
Yakish

Post by Yakish »

Sometimes i use Discogs.com because here you can buy rare records for normal price as alternative to eBay. Also great thing is their database of LP/CD (especially rare) have good resolution scans that you will not find probably anywhere else.
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

I just use discogs, as a record buyers reference and base my wantlist based on the infos provided. Luckily I live in a area Dearborn/ Windsor, where tons and tons of people are either get to old for 80's metal or went all alterna-metal, or whatever trend. I see tons and tons of awesome 80's metal in first pressing, just waiting for me. Since I am big on Voices from the darkside and Snakepit Magazine, it is like shooting fish in a barrel. Once you seperate the leaders from the followers. Honestly, I read this place pretty exetensivly and added a few cool things, in my collection that I missed out on the first time around.
jamsonic1

Post by jamsonic1 »

Same here I only use it as a reference for buying, usually if I can't see a picture of the cd/lp I ain't buying it and there's a reason why.
scandinavian-assault

Post by scandinavian-assault »

Recently bought the STRANA OFFICINA LP box for 25 EUR including shipping! Great seller from Italy who shipped fast and I got it after 5 days. I'll try it more, when I get cash!
Headbanger, Earthdog, Rivet Head, Hell Rat & Metal Maniac!
kraba

Post by kraba »

Discogs is a very good alternative of ebay, is cheaper than ebay and you can find some good release!
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

You cannot say that discogs is cheaper than eBay, it's not a retailer and it's not like you can compare margins. You cannot prove that people listing their items on discogs list them cheaper than on eBay (buy it now). The difference is that on discogs the offers last longer :) But it is MUCH easier to get something on cheap from eBay due to the sheer scale of their business.

That is not to say that you cannot find any good deals on discogs - Today I found Alligator - Cerebral Implosion for 10€ and Addictive - Kick 'Em Hard for 8,5€ :)
blackbart

Post by blackbart »

I prefer GEMM.com . You get a guarantee of your payment that's even better and lasts longer than Ebay or Paypal's (No 45 day limit). They got serous international sellers, not just loopers cataloging their collections and selling as an after-thought. Their results are cluttered, only downfall, but they're jammed full of stuff for sale from all types of sellers from everywhere. GEMM's also been around longer than Ebay.
Get off my back!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

blackbart wrote:I prefer GEMM.com . You get a guarantee of your payment that's even better and lasts longer than Ebay or Paypal's (No 45 day limit). They got serous international sellers, not just loopers cataloging their collections and selling as an after-thought. Their results are cluttered, only downfall, but they're jammed full of stuff for sale from all types of sellers from everywhere. GEMM's also been around longer than Ebay.
It's too bad that nearly everyone that sells on GEMM lists their items between 25-50% higher then usual market value though.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Anyone else been having problems accessing the website lately?

I keep getting this message on an all white page when trying to connect to the site:
500 Internal Server Error
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Logged in this morning without problems.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Works fine for me too.