How To Track a Band?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

glockose wrote:For me I think there is enough WILLING parties and Music available to last a life time. That I don't NEED everything that was ever recorded to keep me happy.
You're right, maybe I'm setting my standards to high! I blame my work - we're forced to keep a copy of everything printed in this country. Maybe it reflects on my look on records too. ;)
glockose wrote:In the past 7 days I have heard at least 6 bands from the 80's that I had never heard before, Without downloading anything..
Sound clips from sellers on ebay?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Just asking...according to the US copyright laws, aren't those clips on ebay illegal as well? Were the bands asked for permission to post their music online? Or was it done arbitatrily? And not talking only about glock's auctions only, I've seen this on ebay very often especially with rare records.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

ION BRITTON wrote:Just asking...according to the US copyright laws, aren't those clips on ebay illegal as well? Were the bands asked for permission to post their music online? Or was it done arbitatrily? And not talking only about glock's auctions only, I've seen this on ebay very often especially with rare records.
Haha, I just posted that exact same question in the other thread. :)
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

..and both quoting each other in the following post :)
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Could be I really don't know.

I have always looked at it is a Temperary thing with a part clip.

But Very well could be.

I do know there are artists that you CAN NOT sell on ebay.
Not just boots but anything to do with them will be pulled ASAP.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

How this.
If I walked into a KINKO. (copy store)

With a record (ANY RECORD) and wanted to make a photo copy of the cover on there copy machine I have to sign a paper showing I take full responsibility for the copyright laws on that material.

Just to make a Photo Copy of the Cover
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

glockose wrote:I do know there are artists that you CAN NOT sell on ebay.
Bands with nazi imagery (NSBM included)?
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Khnud wrote:
I don't know about that.

These are bands that have contacted Ebay and asked for there records to not appear on the site..
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Tales of Medusa come to mind. I'm sure there are others. I'll never be able to understand why though.

Edit: Saw that ToM actually have sold on ebay a few times, so this must apply to other bands. But, why?
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Khnud wrote:
Those are the usual ones that ebay pulls, although ebay is very inconsistent in their enforcement.

'Clips' are a bit different when it comes to copyright; I *think" (and someone can correct me if they know better) that you are allowed to use very short clips from copyrighted material without permission. For example, a 5-10 second clip of copyrighted audio or video material can be used.

I think the mentality among a lot of collectors is a real drive to hear/own EVERYTHING. Not just the good items, or affordable items, but everything that pertains to their hobby, be it US metal demos or 19th century dolls. Reasons for this vary:
--drive to be completist. Must own everything pertinent.
--think it makes you superior to other fans/collectors. These are the MA kids scrambling to increase their Point Total towards Metal God status.
--the hobby is a big part of your identity/self-image. This is the "METAL 'TIL DEATH!' crowd, and it's pretty common with younger folks into underground music genres, be it metal, goth, punk, or whatever.

I'm always floored by the size of some peoples' record collection, but I forget that they buy almost anything Metal. Personally, I only buy records I like musically, and I'm a cheap, picky, bastard, so my collection is really small.

Khund- Well, if 80s metal is gonna fade away, I say we all migrate into Amish folk music instead. The Amish dislike technology, so they never record their music, which means you can only hear it live. Thus, we won't have any of these confusing copyright issues to worry about :D
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Khnud wrote:Tales of Medusa come to mind. I'm sure there are others. I'll never be able to understand why though.

Edit: Saw that ToM actually have sold on ebay a few times, so this must apply to other bands. But, why?
Maybe the guitarist of VIGIN DESECRATOR who now is a senator for South Dakota or the CEO from General Motors wants to hide his sinful youth. :lol:
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

That wasn't my experience but I contacted far less bands than you so my perspective could be off. Maybe 10% didn't want to talk or said something along the line of "keep it in the past".
glockose wrote:
I have found 1000's of USA bands and I will say 75% really did not want to talk about it that much.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Not true, you just have to work at it a little harder on myspace.

American phone books are easily found online.

Yes it is hard to find bands. That is why guys like glockose have luck, he is out doing it with little competition because he has the knack and stomach for it. It takes a certain kind of guts to become a detective and not mind the defeat when you have success too.
Khnud wrote:Myspace is generally only valid if the band's still active in some way.

Being born in the late 70's, I don't own any early 80's fanzines, and out of print American books are quite hard to come by in Sweden. I do know how to search for books online (being a librarian and all), but without pointers as to which reference works to look for, it's hard. Thanks for the tip though.

Library of Congress was a good suggestion, thanks for that!

American phone books aren't easily accessed here in Sweden.

So, in general, it's very hard for me to locate band members in quite unknown bands from another continent, who released a sole single in the early 80's or thereabouts. I think I'll leave this detective work to other people. :)
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Facebook could revealed itself as a useful tool too I think...as more and more people are using it. Well...I've tried that method a few times and it had worked.
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Re: Bands Blocking Ebay Sales- Some bands seem to have a real issue with people buying their records and re-selling them. Tales of Medusa and Pagan Altar are the two I can think of right off that have complained about re-selling. Personally, I think this is a load of crap. WHen I buy something from you, it becomes my property, and I'll do whatever the hell I want to with it. If you want control of the item, then keep it. I HATE sellers that try to put all these weird conditions on the buyer. Screw that. If I buy your record, it's none of your business whether I keep it sealed and in a vault, play it until the grooves wear off, or re-sell it for 10x more than I paid you.

Their complaints are usually couched in terms of, "it's not fair to fans who couldn't get a copy at the regular price". If it's a new release, limit how many copies a person can buy. If it's an old release that's gone up in value, re-issue it- there's obviously demand if the price has climbed! I always wonder if the complaint isn't just sour grapes b/c the seller is getting a lot more for the album than the band did.

As noted before, ebay's enforcement is very inconsistent. In August 2009, Glockose got complaints through ebay for listing a copy of that old Pagan Altar bootleg LP; last month a copy ran for 10 days (and sold for a crazy $200). Why was one auction cancelled and not the other?
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky