Hole Punches in records... do you avoid ?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
PoserHolocaust

Hole Punches in records... do you avoid ?

Post by PoserHolocaust »

I consider myself a pretty picky LP collector. For the vinyl, I want solid VG+ or better. I will not tolerate writing on covers, ripped spines, excessive corner bends, however, hole punches don't really bother me as they are usually quite small and do not really detract from the cover art. Certainly I prefer a copy that does not have a hole punch, but at the end of the day if the price is right, I don't care. They don't personally bother me enough to care, but on ebay I notice I sometimes get records with a hole punch at about 50-75% of their normal value, yet other times it does not seem to effect the final price. It certainly does not effect the sound, and the real value is in the grooves anyway in my opinion. Having said that the cover art is sometimes just as valuable, but a hole punch doesn't really ruin it for me.

Curious what the people here think....
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

This should be changed to a a general "your record condition critia" thread title

I personally don't like punch holes & cut outs at all. Also writing (unless it's a real signing from the band/members) and tears are no goes for covers. Everything else like spine rips, creasings, bends are ok, basically a frequently but more or less carefully used sleeve (around vg I figure) will do it perfectly.
Also a price tag s nothing that puts me off as you can get rid of these very easily ( and the glue stains too)

I hate to have inserts and or extras missed. Incomplete = you don't own the full/real deal, try again fucker. Nerdy, I know

The vinyl must work without skips, loops and too distracting / loud surface noise. A ex-vg at least.
PoserHolocaust

Post by PoserHolocaust »

Yes perhaps a more general topic heading would have been better, but I am mainly interested to know about hole punches and I started ranting about other stuff. :lol: ANyway, good to hear about exactly what people accept and don't accept regarding condition. Rarity sometimes plays into this as well of course. I would be much more willing to accept a Pokolgep 7" with a slight tear in the sleeve than a Tygers of Pan Tang 'wildcat' one due to the ease of finding a cleaner one.

The Knell wrote:
I hate to have inserts and or extras missed. Incomplete = you don't own the full/real deal, try again fucker. Nerdy, I know
and yes I am the same way. My Sarcofago INRI is missing the insert and it bugs me everytime I listen to it. :x
GJ

Post by GJ »

I collect 'em. The hard work is tracing those little round bits of cardboard and glueing them back.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I can't stand cut-outs of any kind.

I avoid them like the plague.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I buy cut-outs to get the LPs, but try to replace them as soon as possible. If the corners are cut instead I might actually accept that, especially if the cuts aren't too bad.

Seem splits are not a big issue to me though. I don't mind too much. But the condition of the LP is another matter: hairlines that do not affect the sound are OK, but anything that does affect play is a strict no-no.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
DMR

Post by DMR »

I try to avoid them, but if it's something hard to find, I won't mind a cut out or hole punch. What really bothers me is when I get one in a trade from someone who didn't tell me it was a cut-out. Then I usually try to replace it.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

It's been noted that Metal collectors are much more picky about cut-out marks than record collectors of other genres.

My preferences:
Record: must play without skips, hangs, or excessive background noise or repetitive loud pops/clicks. A little background noise is fine as long as it doesn't distract from the music

Inserts: must be present, though i will buy w/o IF the price is adjusted accordingly. IMO, this means dropping the price roughly 1/3

Cover & Labels: No handwriting, no rips or tears, no water damage, no stains/discoloration, no heavy creasing, no heavy ring wear. I usually don't mind some edge/corner wear, price stickers/sticker stains, minor spine/seam wear. Cut-out marks are OK but I will adjust the price down because, again, so many metal collectors avoid them that the item's resale value will be lower if I ever want to sell or trade it.
I will buy singles missing picture sleeves IF the price is adjusted accordingly. This varies based on rarity but it probably means ~75% reduction. I admit that's steep, but in terms of resale value, most collectors will only pay a fraction of the 'regular' price for a single missing its pic sleeve.

All this does depend on price. I recently bought a single missing its sleeve and in Poor condition, but it's pretty rare and i gave almost nothing for it. I'll upgrade to a better copy given the chance, but this one was cheap enough to serve as a temporary copy.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Sometimes I buy one but as soon as I get it I can't stand the look of it and I soon find myself obsessed with replacing it with a normal copy :wink:
The_Elite

Post by The_Elite »

I can't stand them- I'm as picky with sleeves as I am with the condition of the record unfortunately!

I will buy a sealed cut out to get a mint unplayed copy of a record though.
PoserHolocaust

Post by PoserHolocaust »

Here is a good example of one that bugs me and why I posted the topic in the first place. It is right on the speed metal logo... even though I am not as bothered as most people seem to be, I have to draw the line somewhere :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DESTRUCTION-Inferna ... 500wt_1182
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I hate them too but sometimes it seems inevitable to have them in your collection. I discover them too late after I already bought the LP in too much excitment.
Long Live The Loud !!!
daniel

Post by daniel »

It varies, not really the end of the world, and I don't have some formula I follow, you get what you can.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

I couldn't care less about these small holes, and if the price is way lower thanks to them - I'd better buy 2 records with a hole than 1 without.
WWW.ISRAHELLBANGER.COM

DTP002: BESTIAL DEATH (ISR) - Suicide of the Immortal OUT IN JANUARY!
dford

Post by dford »

I'd buy any record I'm looking for with a hole punch, you can always try and find another copy in mint condition. I've bought lp's with the covers almost torn in half in the hopes of finding a better copy down the road, it's better to spend $10 on a fucked lp and find out it sucks than spend $120 on something and find out it sucks!