Bars/shops/gigs in Australia

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Lama

Bars/shops/gigs in Australia

Post by Lama »

From November 16th to December 13th I'll be on holiday in Australia. Have any of you guys tips for the travelling metalhead? Music shops, second hand shops, gigs, bars, other interesting things to do...

Our - that's me, my girlfriend and my kid - base will be the Sydney-area most of the time I think (my girlfriend's sis lives there), but I'm sure there will be some moving around also. My kid is 2 years, that means we're not as free as we would like, so plans will be made once we'll be there.
Kampel Destruction
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

Well, firstly, you've picked a great place to go for a holiday.

There is plenty to do in and around Sydney, but not a lot related to heavy metal. The main heavy metal store in the city is Utopia Records but they don't have much good music for sale and the prices are very steep. There are a few other stores around the city and suburbs (Red Eye, Resist, Groovy Tunes) but none of them are guaranteed heavy metal goldmines.

There is a record fair in Sydney (Parramatta) on 29 November which could be worth checking out.

Obituary will be in the country in late November if you are interested in seeing them. The only decent local show is Portal, Innsmouth and Profaner in Brisbane on 28 November.

There are plenty of bars of different kinds in Sydney, though no 'heavy metal bars' like they have in Europe. There are some rock/metal nightclubs but I'd suggest you avoid them.

If you want someone to show you a few sights in Sydney or give you some more tips just send me a PM and I'll help you out.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Or you could do something really interesting & come to Melbourne...
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

Woahhh, he's coming here with his family, I don't think he wants too much excitement...
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

convent guilt wrote:There are a few other stores around the city and suburbs (Red Eye, Resist, Groovy Tunes) but none of them are guaranteed heavy metal goldmines.
Is there a store in Parramatta called Repressed Records? & another store called Beat Disc?? I'm sure these two sell a bit of metal, or have they closed...?
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

I forgot about Repressed Records and Beatdisc. They're both still going as far as I know. Repressed used to be out at Penrith but are now based in Newtown (much closer to the city). Beatdisc are still in Parramatta as far as I know.

There used to be another couple of second hand stores in Parramatta as well (as well as others further out at Blacktown and Penrith). Not sure if they're still there though. Most stores send their decent items straight to ebay these days anyway, as you know.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Whatever happened to Brad Sims (Warhead Records & The Hammerhouse record store)? That was a cool store & Brad was a nice guy.
And there was also a store called 'Rock n Roll Warehouse' that used to be good too.. but that's long gone now..
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

You won't find anything that great in the second hand shops here, just the used popular titles and thrash and glam. As Ian the Hardest man in Sydney said everything else usually ends up on ebay. Always up for beers with travelers, so if your down this way...
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

The Hammerhouse was THE place to go in Sydney back in the mid-90s. Brad Sims pretty much drove the local scene with that store, Warhead Records, In Your Face magazine and all the shows he put on. Last I heard he was living up the north coast and more or less removed from the metal scene. He was a really nice bloke indeed.

The Rock n' Roll Warehouse was a funny old place. Tucked away in the back of a cinema complex but they got all sorts of obscure black and death metal releases. I used to go there in my lunch break just to hang out and hear whatever they'd recently got in.

Of course Utopia used to be great as well, but that was a very long time ago...
Lama

Post by Lama »

Thanks mates!

If I have the opportunity and time I'll try to make contact with some of you blokes when I'm there. I'll probably attend the record fair in Parramatta and the Obituary-gig. And be sure of it...I will be on the hunt for obscure metal relics in your town(s)!!! Beware!!! Hahahahaaaaa... :twisted:
Kampel Destruction
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Nicko McBuff wrote:Always up for beers with travelers, so if your down this way...
but don't you live like 4 hours from Melbourne in the middle of nowhere????
:P
SideShow

Post by SideShow »

Korgüll wrote:
Nicko McBuff wrote:Always up for beers with travelers, so if your down this way...
but don't you live like 4 hours from Melbourne in the middle of nowhere????
:P
How did I get brought into this conversation?! :lol:
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Well yes, you live 4 hours north of Melbourne now, but Nick is in Lakes Entrance I think which is 4 hours east of Melbourne...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The U.S.A. is just four hours north of Melbourne?
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

No, he lives in Australia now!