Heavy Metal Huntingrounds?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

msp wrote:
Levi wrote:almost everything was overpriced.
This is London and many parts here in the Uk for you!
actually, at the moment the £ is very weak (nearly equal to € :P ) so from continental perspective, this may moderate the high prices. Camden Market will be checked out for sure.
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

sagrotan wrote:Camden Market will be checked out for sure.
You can get some good bootlegs shirts there...
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Sacrilegio wrote:In Mexico there is this cool fair called "El Chopo" where you can find decent records from time to time.

I have a question to all the Swedes:

I have heard of several record stores in Stockholm: Black Hole, Repulsive Records, and Sound Pollution. Which one is the best?
Black Hole sells a little bit of everything, t-shirts, CDs, a handful of vinyls, most of it on comission. The stock isn't that big, but Susanna serves coffee, muffins, zines and good company.

Repulsive Records is a relatively new store, and a great one if you're looking for underground/import CDs and vinyl - anything from nwobhm to modern black metal. There's also some 2nd hand vinyl (and CD), books, DVDs, shirts, the usual... A must-visit if you're in Sthlm.

Sound Pollution is 'the older version' of Repulsive so to speak. They've gone through various incarnations through the years and is basically the most well known Rock Store in Sthlm. No 2nd hand stuff though.

More on the last few decent 2nd hand stores later...
msp

Post by msp »

sagrotan wrote:
msp wrote:
actually, at the moment the £ is very weak (nearly equal to € :P ) so from continental perspective, this may moderate the high prices. Camden Market will be checked out for sure.
Goon news for tourists but the general cost of day to day living is quite expensive.

In regards to hunting in the Midlands, I believe there are a few good places such as Selectadisc in Nottingham. Reveal records in derby was quite good for newer stuff but I believe they have now shut. I don't go that way much anymore.
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

DaN wrote:Sound Pollution
They also have a distro & label right?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Korgüll wrote:
DaN wrote:Sound Pollution
They also have a distro & label right?
Yes, though I'm not quite sure what the label's called at the moment. Sound Pollution is basically the amalgamation of the old distros/shops/labels CBR (Omnitron/Krixhjälters, Comecon, Raped Teenagers etc..) and House Of Kicks (Therion mini).
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

DaN wrote:House Of Kicks
No Fashion was a House Of Kicks 'in' label too??
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Korgüll wrote:
Don't think so. No Fashion did the Therion mini? I don't have it anymore, but as I remember it, it was released by HOK.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

DaN wrote:
Korgüll wrote:
Don't think so. No Fashion did the Therion mini? I don't have it anymore, but as I remember it, it was released by HOK.
Well at least House Of Kicks distributed the No Fashion label...
rictusgrin666

Post by rictusgrin666 »

DaN wrote: Black Hole sells a little bit of everything, t-shirts, CDs, a handful of vinyls, most of it on comission. The stock isn't that big, but Susanna serves coffee, muffins, zines and good company.

Repulsive Records is a relatively new store, and a great one if you're looking for underground/import CDs and vinyl - anything from nwobhm to modern black metal. There's also some 2nd hand vinyl (and CD), books, DVDs, shirts, the usual... A must-visit if you're in Sthlm.

Sound Pollution is 'the older version' of Repulsive so to speak. They've gone through various incarnations through the years and is basically the most well known Rock Store in Sthlm. No 2nd hand stuff though.

I remember being very impressed by Sound Pollution when I visited there in '99. bought a bunch of fairly random 7"s and 12" singles. Still have the plastic bag keeping photos from that trip!!!
You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.
Levi

Post by Levi »

msp wrote:
sagrotan wrote:
msp wrote:
Goon news for tourists but the general cost of day to day living is quite expensive.
Just visited York last weekend and must say this is quite the case with food, drinks etc. Still pretty expensive, even with the low value of the GBP. Clothing and books however: bargains to be done for us mainland-folks.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

Levi wrote:
msp wrote:
sagrotan wrote: actually, at the moment the £ is very weak (nearly equal to € :P ) so from continental perspective, this may moderate the high prices. Camden Market will be checked out for sure.
Just visited York last weekend and must say this is quite the case with food, drinks etc. Still pretty expensive, even with the low value of the GBP. Clothing and books however: bargains to be done for us mainland-folks.
exactly. came back with tons of clothes and stuff, but wasn't even anywhere near any metal vinyl.. :roll: left Camden Market after finding the shoes I wanted, and that shop in Notting Hill I haven't found..
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

these days in Mex city,hmmm....internet??? :roll:
Pestkrieg

Post by Pestkrieg »

Korgüll wrote:
msp wrote:
I've been told the Midlands is better for metal hunting??
I've found the odd good thing here and there, but nothing spectacular. There's a couple of reasonable shops in Birmingham and a couple of decent ones in the Black Country too.
Sacrilegio

Post by Sacrilegio »

DaN wrote:
Sacrilegio wrote:In Mexico there is this cool fair called "El Chopo" where you can find decent records from time to time.

I have a question to all the Swedes:

I have heard of several record stores in Stockholm: Black Hole, Repulsive Records, and Sound Pollution. Which one is the best?
Black Hole sells a little bit of everything, t-shirts, CDs, a handful of vinyls, most of it on comission. The stock isn't that big, but Susanna serves coffee, muffins, zines and good company.

I also forgot to ask about Heavy Sound. How is it?