Bootleg Warning Thread

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Keir

Bootleg Warning Thread

Post by Keir »

After reading some recent posts (e.g. the ones about SATAN'S HOST and Phoenix Records) I think we should have a thread that lists some of the more pervasive vinyl bootlegs.

LEGEND - From the Fjords
Bootleg = Limited edition of 500 (some numbered). Plain center label. Scanned cover.
I actually bought this one, and didn't realize it was a boot until the recent interviews with Fred Melillo.
Original = Cool Viking art on center label. Lyrics insert.

SATAN'S HOST – Metal from Hell
OmenOfSteel wrote:METAL FROM HELL was released on BLACK (not bootlegged), RED (Orig. + Boot) and CLEAR VINYL (Boot only)
1) Matrix-number of the original is WEB001/ Bootlegs have SH etched as Matrix
2) Cover of original is thicker and dull, not sparking as the bootleg.
VIXEN – Made in Hawaii
Bootleg = Picture disc. Limited edition of 100.
Original = Came in black and blue vinyl as well as a picture disc. I'm not sure what the difference between the 2 picture discs is.

High Roller Records - most releases (Some are legit, but I don't know exactly which ones. I was almost fooled into buying the HELL LP, which is 100% bootleg.)

Phoenix Records - all releases
DaN
Administructor

Re: Bootleg Warning Thread

Post by DaN »

Good idea!
Keir wrote:VIXEN – Made in Hawaii
Original = Came in black and blue vinyl as well as a picture disc. I'm not sure what the difference between the 2 picture discs is.
I saw the bootleg version of this at a record fair here for a decent price. I've been thinking of picking it up anyway since I fucking love this MLP and I'm interrested in those bonus trax. Anyone heard it?
Keir

Post by Keir »

DaN wrote:Good idea!
Keir wrote:VIXEN – Made in Hawaii
I saw the bootleg version of this at a record fair here for a decent price. I've been thinking of picking it up anyway since I fucking love this MLP and I'm interrested in those bonus trax. Anyone heard it?
No! No! No! What are the bonus tracks? There's an official CD reissue with 5 bonus tracks, they're probably the same:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/vixen
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Hm... Buy ugly unsexy CD or filthy naughty bootleg? Dilemma, dilemma...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Keir wrote:
High Roller Records - most releases (Some are legit, but I don't know exactly which ones. I was almost fooled into buying the HELL LP, which is 100% bootleg.)
The HELL LP is indeed a bootleg. Remember the first time i saw it, the first thing i asked the seller was "Is it official?". He replied "Yes, of course". So, a big FUCK OFF to him and his ''pals''. MARQUIS DE SADE and DEMON PACT LPs are doubtful, i read somewhere that initially they were released unofficially and without the bands' permission, but somehow HRR patched it up later. The rest of the releases must be official though. I find most of them, however, poor and sometimes musically unworthy :(
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Speaking about bootlegs. I saw a CD of "Death SS: The Story Of Death SS". It was sealed. My question: is this a bootleg or a official CD - (re)-issue, because I thought it was only released as a LP on Minotauri. It's not the first time I buy a cd and then appears to be a fucking bootleg with shit sound-quality, so this won't happen again...
Long Live The Loud !!!
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

Th Demon Pact LP is a dirty release. I've talked to the owner of the Demon Pact material and he says that he did not give any permission to release that LP. The titles are wrong and a studio recording is missing, and I think he also said that the members written also was wrong...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, i think today i witnessed a NWOBCD (New Wave Of Bootleg CDs). I can't be sure 100% but the whole thing stinks. Many British bands like MILLENIUM, INCUBUS, RANKLESON, COBRA are available on CD!?! Most of the CDs had no sign of the label that ''reissued'' them, very plain artwork, COBRA and RANKELSON were 2 on 1 and stuff like that...Pretty doubtful if the ''label'' contacted Guardian Records or Ebony to do this...LEGEND's (US) "From the Fjords" was also seen, but for that i'm almost sure it is a bootleg. Be careful with what you buy or order from the internet. You have been warned.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

ahhhh... there are a ton of bootlegs out there at the moment.
Moslty CD's I've noticed.

Unfortunately it looks like a lot of Greek & Russian sellers doing it!?

DELIVERANCE, HEAVY LOAD, ATTILA, EXE, INDESTRUCTIBLE NOISE COMMAND, SAINT VITUS, LION, SABBAT-DREAMWEAVER, POWERMAD, SHOK PARIS etc... the list goes on...
:(
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Sentinel wrote:Speaking about bootlegs. I saw a CD of "Death SS: The Story Of Death SS". It was sealed. My question: is this a bootleg or a official CD - (re)-issue, because I thought it was only released as a LP on Minotauri. It's not the first time I buy a cd and then appears to be a fucking bootleg with shit sound-quality, so this won't happen again...
It was also released on CD w/ bonus trax by Minotauri in '88. One of the most precious items in my meagre CD collection 8)
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

DaN wrote: It was also released on CD w/ bonus trax by Minotauri in '88. One of the most precious items in my meagre CD collection 8)
I got one on "Fuel records". It doesn't look like an bootleg though and it sounds good BUT if you wanna know something about "Fuel records", it seems nonexistent, so doubts rise again :( My hunt for the original LP will continue. Minotauri releases can't be that hard to find, although I'm searching quite some time for an original now.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Levi

Post by Levi »

Think this is one too, correct me if i'm wrong:

SAINT VITUS - Born Too Late LP

Looks pretty much like the SST release on the outside, only different catalog number and labels are pink with only 'Born too late' and 'A'/'B' on it.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Question: Does anyone know if the copies of the first two DEATHROW cds (Satan's gift/Riders of doom & Raging Steel) which are circulating nowadays are officially re-released?

The Knell

Post by The Knell »

I have the Bootleg Picture MLP of the Witchfinder General - Soviet Invasion, I confess!! But I must say this Bootleg is of fucking great quality, the LP is thick and splendid, with a great insert...and two rare bonustracks of the first 7'' from them. I think it is good to own one, no ripping off (ok, despite that the band was ripped off)

Anyone know these Bootleg LPs of Pagan Altar's "Vol.1"? There are many Version of this, produced in the late 80s or so and I heard there are shits of the second album, Lords of Hypcrisy, as well but I'm not sure. I bought this Vol.1 Bootleg on earlier times, when I was first introduced at Pagan Altar I bought everything from them on sight, this LP too..it is black only with the logo on front, and on backcover tracklist and line-ups. Vinylcenter is blank-black, as always, but the LP is thick and heavy (I think 200gr.-220-gr.). Soundquality is directly from the Master/Demotape, no remastered as in the '98 CD or Judgement of the dead LP...which means a slight rustle in the background and worse drum sounds. But you have the real "unpolished" (ok it's not really polished in the rerelease) demo sound from 82!
Not a must-have, this bootleg - better buy the rerelease from black widow, it's awesome!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

ION BRITTON wrote:Question: Does anyone know if the copies of the first two DEATHROW cds (Satan's gift/Riders of doom & Raging Steel) which are circulating nowadays are officially re-released?
Pretty sure these were never 'officially' released on CD!

Only 'Deception Ignored' & 'Life Beyond' were officially released on CD, for crazy prices now unfortunately!