Current economic crisis affecting your Metal buying habit?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
humus

Post by humus »

It's like they say: it's only recession for those who have lost their jobs. Those who didn't are actually doing better than before the crisis. Same in Greece, or how else do you explain a Greek paying 4500 euro for the Stormchild single :lol:

Don't agree with Fils du metal that "prices will never drop". People thought the same about classic sportscars. Or stamps. But those markets all collapsed at one point. Especially the CD-market seems like a bubble to me.
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

humus wrote:It's like they say: it's only recession for those who have lost their jobs. Those who didn't are actually doing better than before the crisis. Same in Greece, or how else do you explain a Greek paying 4500 euro for the Stormchild single :lol:

Don't agree with Fils du metal that "prices will never drop". People thought the same about classic sportscars. Or stamps. But those markets all collapsed at one point. Especially the CD-market seems like a bubble to me.
Hm i haven't lost my job.But yes lot of people are unemployed especially the youth.

Yes you see many collectors being Greek and spending lot of money but in my opinion these people are only living for collecting they don't have other interests/hobbies/girls/cars/or make savings and other things.

The only thing that interests them is metal and collecting vinyls or cds.

Back before some years yes times were different people had money and could afford buying if had such hobbies such collecting vynils but i think that nowadays Greek collectors don't buy and you will next year many of them start selling slowly their collection.

I think half of the record shops that selled vinyls and cds metal closed in Greece in comparizon with 5 years before.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

humus wrote:a Greek paying 4500 euro for the Stormchild single
Wtf? Where and when?
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

humus wrote:Especially the CD-market seems like a bubble to me.
Why do you think it's more like a bubble then the vinyl market?
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Vaggelis wrote:I think half of the record shops that selled vinyls and cds metal closed in Greece in comparizon with 5 years before.
They were bound to close. Athens had 8 metal record & CD stores plus 4 or 5 that had a lot of metal in stock. They could not all survive, even before the recession.
humus

Post by humus »

Khnud wrote:
humus wrote:a Greek paying 4500 euro for the Stormchild single
Wtf? Where and when?
Private sale earlier this year.
Why do you think it's more like a bubble then the vinyl market?
While most vinyl prices have been up, CD prices have really exploded in the last few years. I think you know better than me how many CD's have doubled up in price in a relatively short time. The reason is not scarcity of the product, but an increase in the demand. Vinyl has a longer history of being collected and a wider, long-lasting audience.
slayerhatesusall

Post by slayerhatesusall »

It didn't affect my spending since I never had a job to begin with.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

slayerhatesusall wrote:It didn't affect my spending since I never had a job to begin with.
Maybe this explains all of your "deals". Instead of looking for a job, you look for CD's. :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Avenger wrote:Maybe this explains all of your "deals". Instead of looking for a job, you look for CD's. :lol:
Sounds like a pretty sweat deal to me if he can make it last. :p
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

It does affect my spending heavily because of some insane currency exchange rates more than anything else.