Legit, Not Legit, Who Cares?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

good topic, and as we can see from the replies, one that isn't very clear-cut.

Personally I've never messed with getting bootlegs except in a few cases, and some of those i thought were 'legit' issues at the time. I would never knowingly spend much $$ for a bootleg. I'll admit I don't have a strong moral conviction against bootlegging, but it's not something I'd readily condone either.

One thing I don't have much sympathy for is when someone buys a boot and then complains about the sound quality and/or packaging. The fact that it's a boot tells you the person is out to make a quick, shady buck, so why in the world would you buy it expecting a professional looking- and sounding product? Yes, some bootleggers put out nice products, but that's the exception.

The bootlegging issue is inextricably tied to the colelcting boom. With so many people clamouring to hear every single demo, live show, compilation appearance, etc from every small-time band that existed 20+ years ago, it creates a demand that is only gonna be met by bootlegging. Many of the bands people wanna hear are never gonna put out new, official copies of their material.... alot of them probably don't even have original masters or good-quality copies to work with. And even if a nice, legit version is available, they tend to be limited pressings on small labels so many folks may not know about the release.

File-sharing on the internet can help reduce demand for bootleg copies, but even that has some limits. Some items are difficult to find downloadable copies of, much less copies with good sound quality. The situation is getting better, but it still has a ways to go. While some collectors are very cool about making stuff available to others, there are still lots of people that 'hoard' their collection, refusing to record stuff for anyone out of fear that it will reduce the prestige and value of thier own collection. And there are those folks who are just not satisfied with mp3s; they want a tangible product in their hands, even if it's not 'legit'.

Personally, I've become pretty content to settle for decent mp3s of many items. Alot of stuff is well beyond my price range, so my options are thus:
1- break the bank to pay for an original. I refuse to do this; I am not putting myself in debt to buy records. Trading for them is also an option, but it can be very difficult to work out a trade among high-dollar items; the other person doesn't want your rare item, or one side feels the trade is uneven, or you just don't have an item of similar value that you want to get rid of.
2- buy a bootleg or reissue if one exists. If one is available, nicely put together, and I can get it for a reasonable price, I'll do this for an album I like.
3- download/trade burns for it. Yes, mp3s aren't 'collectible' (no artwork or inserts or such) but they are a very convenient format AND you can enjoy the music just fine (unless they're very low quality or you're one of those people that insist "only vinyl is tr00"). They also work well for me becuase, while I like to hear alot of the obscure releases, I try to limit my collection to music I really like, regardless of how rare or valuable it is. Thus, mp3s offer an easy, cheap way to check things out for fun.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Abyss wrote:are any of these legit?

http://www.discogs.com/label/Unisound+Records
They're all legit I'm sure. I used to deal with Panos when I did distro years ago & he was ok. But their was always an air of mystery surrounding him...& whether his releases were official as far as having a deal with the band.
He was interested in signing the band I was in back then...
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Abyss wrote:This guy on ebay is one I see selling those

http://myworld.ebay.com/metalslaves/

most likely the same person or an associate

http://myworld.ebay.com/hmkidd1/

as the location is only 11 miles away.
I'm sure all these guys selling the same stuff over & over all buy/trade from the same people & with each other. It's all linked at the end of the day..
...as long as they're cheap then I don't care.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Korgüll wrote:

They're all legit I'm sure. I used to deal with Panos when I did distro years ago & he was ok. But their was always an air of mystery surrounding him...& whether his releases were official as far as having a deal with the band.
Well I assume they wouldn't be listed there if they were bootlegs, I own all the bootlegs I listed I got them for 3 us dollars each from sentinel steel's used section and I didn't know they were bootlegs at the time so I am not too concerned about anyone making a sizable profit off them.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Korgüll wrote:

You should've shot him in the face...

He is a fucking bootlegger and he didn't even pay the few bands(the majority at least) that were in business with him.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I wouldn't pay this guy either.

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=21761 :lol:
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Abyss wrote:I wouldn't pay this guy either.

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=21761 :lol:
Why not? He'd probably kill you if you didn't.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I seriously doubt that, anyone who shows up at my house looking for trouble is gonna get a shotgun blast to the gut. there is also the fact he is thousands of miles away.

He obviously hasn't killed panos so maybe he got payed or maybe he isn't as violent as you assume.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Abyss wrote:I seriously doubt that, anyone who shows up at my house looking for trouble is gonna get a shotgun blast to the gut. there is also the fact he is thousands of miles away.

He obviously hasn't killed panos so maybe he got payed or maybe he isn't as violent as you assume.
If he got payed, he would have released a second album/EP.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

If he truly cared about his "art" he would have released it on his own.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

AxeCrazy wrote:
Shadow Kingdom wrote:This day an age, I figure we can all make our own covers, back inserts, etc and just settle for a CDR and stick it in the collection?
I agree. I've been burned in the past buying bootlegs and will not do it again. You spend lots of money and get a CD where half the tracks are mis-spelled, poor CD pressings, and on some of them, the vinyl that was recorded even skips.

Avoid bootlegs at all costs. If you really want something, just download it and burn a CDR.
agreed 100% for bootleg cds... bootleg (or "fan club", as i've seen it refered to) vinyl on the other hand can be nice if its at a reasonable price, and looks/sounds good
mordred

Post by mordred »

Korgüll wrote:It was unofficially re-released around 2002. There is only very little difference between the original and the bootleg. The original CD (48:33) is six seconds longer than the bootleg (48:27) and it has "Printed in Canada" on the backcover and inside the booklet. Furthermore, the colors of the cover are slightly different - the bootleg is a little bit darker.

I have an official one, my barcode is: 018777251822
Thanks!
Mine is 48:35 though. :?
It has "printed in Canada" pinted both on the back cover and inside the booklet, but I still kinda doubt the authenticity of the cover. The colours look fine and the print quality too, but the booklet paper is kind of glossy, not the kind you'd expect from a cd pressed in 1991. :roll:
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Well I care. I don't like bootleg CDs, that pose as supposed legit reissues... you are scum if your dishing out such crap. They really piss me off. I hate finding out that my shiny spanking new Malisha Serve Your Savage Beast (that vegascds fag) or Obsession Methods Of Madness cd (metal mayhem) is a bootleg and that I've made some cock funnel $20 richer. I bet these dealers with their trickery have never worked a day in their lives, thats my hard earned moula down the drain and so when I'm ripped off I think they deserve to be castrated with a rusty diseased blade! They like many other twats out there think they're doing some kind of service to the music, metalheads etc... they're not.

I know I'm dumb for those 2, I'll be more alert in the future when I'm buying items on ebay blery eyed after a long shift and a week of no sleep.

That said, HOORAY for LEGIT reissues. They're great. Bring them on.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Nicko McBuff wrote:Obsession Methods Of Madness cd (metal mayhem) is a bootleg
I'm pretty sure this is an 'official' re-issue Nicko?!
The CD has a barcode, usually a good sign. But I guess still doesn't mean much.
hload

Post by hload »

1. AGONY - The first Defiance CD

2. APOCRYPHA - The Eyes of Time CD

3. APOCRYPHA - Area 54 CD

4. APOSTLE - Prepate to meet... CD

5. ASPHYX - The Rack CD

6. ATTILA – Rollin’ thunder CD

7. BANSHEE – Race against time CD

8. BLITZKRIEG - A Time of Changes CD

9. BLOODLUST - Terminal Velocity + Guilty as Sin CD

10. CHINA – Same CD