Legit, Not Legit, Who Cares?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
mordred

Post by mordred »

I absolutely detest bootlegs. I can't see any reason to own one, you can always get mp3's, a cdr or a tape dub or whatever to listen to the music if the original vinyl or original cd is too expensive. There is no justifying buying a crap illegal release that someone put together to make money from somebody elses work. The ugliest ones are obvioulsy the counterfeit type of cd's that are flowing mainly in Greece, that are made to look like they are in fact original ones. That pisses me off. I certainly don't have the same problem with limited vinyl bootlegs that obviously aren't official and aren't made to look like that either, but I am personally not interested in bying them.

I never understood people who go with the "can't afford/find an original, so I bought a bootleg" thing... I mean, is it so sexually arousing to watch an LP cover while you listen to Satan's Host or whatever, that you are willing to spend big money on something that is fake? That doesn't sound like a collector to me, a collector should have some standards and not settle for something inferior.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
tomas

Post by tomas »

You won't settle for something inferior but you say you settle for mp3s... Doesn't make any sense to me 8)
mordred

Post by mordred »

tomas wrote:You won't settle for something inferior but you say you settle for mp3s... Doesn't make any sense to me 8)
I have to settle for that when I have no choice (when the original is to bitchy to find and there is no legit reissue). What I mean is that there is no "collectors reason" to go for a bootleg rather than a cdr or whatever, because a bootleg is just as inferior as a dub of the music.

Going for a bootleg just because one wants something nice and shiny to put in the cd rack is very gay. :evil:
mordred

Post by mordred »

While we're at it, how do I tell if my Cirith Ungol "Paradise Lost" cd is an original or a boot?

Everyone should also watch out for cd counterfeits of Troubles S/T and Manic Frustration. Some greek cunt sold them as originals on ebay and I fell for it. I feel truly sorry for every honest greek metalhead that have to live in the shadow of these assholes.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

mordred wrote:While we're at it, how do I tell if my Cirith Ungol "Paradise Lost" cd is an original or a boot?
There has been a previous thread about this:

From metal-archives:

It was unofficially re-released around 2002. There is only very little difference between the original and the bootleg. The original CD (48:33) is six seconds longer than the bootleg (48:27) and it has "Printed in Canada" on the backcover and inside the booklet. Furthermore, the colors of the cover are slightly different - the bootleg is a little bit darker.

I have an official one, my barcode is: 018777251822
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

mordred wrote:greek cunt
'riotrods' by any chance?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Korgüll wrote:
mordred wrote:greek cunt
'riotrods' by any chance?
He's only one of them, i have also seen a couple of ones from the US selling the same things...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Yeah I thought that guy was honest at first until I noticed him selling off the same rare items every few weeks. Lucky I never bid for any of his stuff. I totally agree about the hoenst Greek metal sellers though, I even find myself questioning every Greek seller on Ebay.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
LuciferSteele

Post by LuciferSteele »

glockose wrote:Hay sorry I dont have any problem with you sir.
But like I said you really shouldn't make a statement to these unknowing folks that you are not sure of.

Yes if you dont already know I ran OPM records and YES I paid Carl a lot of money to do this release and YES i talked to Carl a few times about the CD and he had nothing to do with it and legaly it is a BOOT as he is the copy right owner to the songs.

Now I THINK (Not Sure) that Unisound contacted the band and the band said YES put the CD out and gave them the demo tracks to add.

Now did Unisound KNOW that Carl owned the rights (I DONT KNOW) I am sure the band wasn't saying

But the FACT is he does.

NOW IS IT A BOOT??? Who really cares??

Hell I own a copy, But that still does not make it legit in my mind.
the fact is that he must have thought that he was releasing something legit or else he wouldn't have done it under the unisound moniker. maybe what you said about him contacting the band is true. he must have thought that acquiring a positive answer from the band was enough... anyway, this is a tiny bit in a sea of bootlegs coming from all corners of the earth and not just Greece. i mean its brazil, germany, russia, etc. its a global thing and so massive that we can't do anything to stop it.
FINAL AXE
TYRANT
CROSS
ZIONS ABYSS
STEEL PROPHET
SALEM SPADE
KINGS RANSOM
and the story continues...
www.steel-legacy.com
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Some more for the list:

ADX - Suprematie / La Terreur
BLACK NIGHT / TOBRUK - Master of Disaster / Wild on the Run
CLOVEN HOOF - Dominator
DETENTE - Recognize No Authority
EXCITER - Heavy Metal Maniac
EXCITER - Unveiling the Wicked
GRIFFIN - Protectors of the Lair
HERETIC - Don't Turn Your Back / Breaking Point
JAG PANZER - Ample Destruction (No Poser Records / NP-015)
MALICE - In the Beginning (Stellar Masterpieces)
MALICE - License to Kill (Stellar Masterpieces)
MANILLA ROAD - Live by the Sword ...
MANILLA ROAD - Dreams of Eschaton demo
MANOWAR - Into Glory Ride / Hail to England
MORTAL SIN / Lethal - Mayhemic Destruction / 4 Lethal tracks
PANTERA / VILLAIN - Power Metal / Only Time Will Tell (bar code: 4456790054536)
S.A. SLAYER - Prepare to Die / Go for the Throat
VIO-LENCE - Eternal Nightmare / Torture Tactics (Machine Records)
VISITOR - Visitor
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

LuciferSteele wrote:
the fact is that he must have thought that he was releasing something legit or else he wouldn't have done it under the unisound moniker. maybe what you said about him contacting the band is true. he must have thought that acquiring a positive answer from the band was enough... anyway, this is a tiny bit in a sea of bootlegs coming from all corners of the earth and not just Greece. i mean its brazil, germany, russia, etc. its a global thing and so massive that we can't do anything to stop it.

I agree, very nicely put sir.

On the personal side - I really would have liked to have heard from him before they released this. I could have told him the correct rought to take and asked him not to use my artwork Since this makes it look like I had something to do with the release.

He knew I had released it and how to get in touch with me. BUT hell whatever.... They say imitation is one of the highest forms of praise so I guess I should just take it all as a compliment.
LuciferSteele

Post by LuciferSteele »

glockose wrote:imitation is one of the highest forms of praise so I guess I should just take it all as a compliment.
well said :D
FINAL AXE
TYRANT
CROSS
ZIONS ABYSS
STEEL PROPHET
SALEM SPADE
KINGS RANSOM
and the story continues...
www.steel-legacy.com
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

are any of these legit?

http://www.discogs.com/label/Unisound+Records

The releases I have saw are not listed here Vortex,Vice Human,Steel Assassin Valhalla, and Dark Quarterer.

This guy on ebay is one I see selling those

http://myworld.ebay.com/metalslaves/

most likely the same person or an associate

http://myworld.ebay.com/hmkidd1/

as the location is only 11 miles away.
Last edited by Abyss on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Abyss wrote:are any of these legit?

http://www.discogs.com/label/Unisound+Records

The releases I have saw are not listed here Vortex,Vice Human,Steel Assassin Valhalla, and Dark Quarterer.
I heard of only one Unisound Records that's legit. Don't remember which one, but the rest of those are all illegal.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Metalslaves is a bootleg seller (and he also sells some new stuff, I got that Morbid Scream compilation from him).
I've also bought something from that hmkidd1, just can't remember what right now ... but I don't think that they're the same person.

Edit: it was the Nothing Sacred boot CD, hmm, maybe they are the same??