How much does XY LP / CD cost?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
necrovomit74

Post by necrovomit74 »

pan_Heathen wrote:PYRACANDA -Two sides of a coin - CD ?
5 euros?
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Then I'll give you 10€ for your copy - because I like you. Deal?

edit: did some "research" myself.

http://cgi.ebay.pl/CD-Pyracanda-Two-sid ... 0382338223
http://cgi.ebay.ch/Pyracanda-Two-Sides- ... 0410394036
heavymetalmaniac

Post by heavymetalmaniac »

I wonder what the CD version of "At The Foot Of Brutality" might be worth. It has been released on Avanzada Metalica and contains some tracks which are not on the LP.
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

It's 20-25 Euros in several lists every now & then.
slayerhatesusall

Post by slayerhatesusall »

What does Tokyo blade- Night of the blade roadrunner slimline cd go for?
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

slayerhatesusall wrote:What does Tokyo blade- Night of the blade roadrunner slimline cd go for?
I paid $40 for mine not too long ago.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Avenger wrote:
stormspell wrote:So Ray doesnt know and cannot contact the person who knows coz he is dead already :lol: I'd make an educated guess this was pressed in at least 1000 copies and because it didnt sell good as many of the so called "cult private" releases didnt, it got showed off and forgotten in someone's garage or storage unit, or whatever.

Anyway, just to make it clear, there is no such thing as "short run" deal when replicating cds. The biggest part of the price is associated with the glass stamper, so most factories will start from 1000. You can find places which will press 500, or even less nowadays, BUT the price you will pay would be the same or very close to what you'd pay for 1000. Like for instance if making 1000 cds would cost you $630, making 500 would cost $600 or thereabouts. You can probably find a place to make less than 500, but the unit cost would be so higher the total will be again close to $600. That's how it goes.

Same goes with the offset inserts. So all in all it goes down to the fact that for about the same money you'd pay for 250 cds, you can have 1000 cds. Now tell me who in their right state of mind would do that, especially given this was a brand new band at the time eager to sell as much cds as possible and break through...

Being a label boss, you obviously have more insight on this then most of us do, however, I can't help but think that you are only taking into consideration how modern pressing plants work. Is it not possible that back in the 80's and early 90's that things worked differently as it was quite a bit more expensive to press a CD and that to have a smaller quantity pressed financially made more sense to a band that self-released they're material?

I'm not saying that the "250 unit" number is 100% accurate, but I'm sure that a lot of small local bands (especially back then) couldn't justify pressing 1000 CD's for the only album they put out.

stormspell wrote:"quantity-quality silver pressed collection"
What the hell is that even supposed to mean? :lol:
I was wondering about the same thing too, are pressing plants and costs the same now as they were back in 10 or 18 years ago?

Quntantity-quality :lol: It means silver pressed CDs with good music on it - a lot of them ;)
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

sovdat wrote:
Avenger wrote:
stormspell wrote:So Ray doesnt know and cannot contact the person who knows coz he is dead already :lol: I'd make an educated guess this was pressed in at least 1000 copies and because it didnt sell good as many of the so called "cult private" releases didnt, it got showed off and forgotten in someone's garage or storage unit, or whatever.

Anyway, just to make it clear, there is no such thing as "short run" deal when replicating cds. The biggest part of the price is associated with the glass stamper, so most factories will start from 1000. You can find places which will press 500, or even less nowadays, BUT the price you will pay would be the same or very close to what you'd pay for 1000. Like for instance if making 1000 cds would cost you $630, making 500 would cost $600 or thereabouts. You can probably find a place to make less than 500, but the unit cost would be so higher the total will be again close to $600. That's how it goes.

Same goes with the offset inserts. So all in all it goes down to the fact that for about the same money you'd pay for 250 cds, you can have 1000 cds. Now tell me who in their right state of mind would do that, especially given this was a brand new band at the time eager to sell as much cds as possible and break through...

Being a label boss, you obviously have more insight on this then most of us do, however, I can't help but think that you are only taking into consideration how modern pressing plants work. Is it not possible that back in the 80's and early 90's that things worked differently as it was quite a bit more expensive to press a CD and that to have a smaller quantity pressed financially made more sense to a band that self-released they're material?

I'm not saying that the "250 unit" number is 100% accurate, but I'm sure that a lot of small local bands (especially back then) couldn't justify pressing 1000 CD's for the only album they put out.

stormspell wrote:"quantity-quality silver pressed collection"
What the hell is that even supposed to mean? :lol:
I was wondering about the same thing too, are pressing plants and costs the same now as they were back in 10 or 18 years ago?

Quntantity-quality :lol: It means silver pressed CDs with good music on it - a lot of them ;)
Nope, if anything, it was the opposite. Nowadays you can find digital offset pressing plants which would agree to go below 1000 units on inserts, or do color laser prints (as short-run pro-printed CDRs are done), but in the past it was all plate-to-paper offset machines and no one would even bother making plates for you if you want to print 250 booklets.

Or even if you find a place that will do, they would not give you any price break and you will still pay as much as for 1000 copies.

Trust me, if I had a way of making 500 cds (with decent booklets) for half the price of what 1000 cost, a LOT of my releases would have been limited to 500 or even less!
necrovomit74

Post by necrovomit74 »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:
10 years ago? arew you really sure? really?
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

necrovomit74 wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:
10 years ago? arew you really sure? really?
First of all you should talk better as you don't know me. In any case my post is MORE accurate (as I have seen the cd in those prices) than your ironic "5 Euros" post.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:ironic "5 Euros" post.
I think it's Mr Lambert from this sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEeLtqtNvU
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
necrovomit74

Post by necrovomit74 »

pan_Heathen wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:ironic "5 Euros" post.
I think it's Mr Lambert from this sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEeLtqtNvU
And who cares unless you live with your parents but single with your hamster, paying credit next 30 years like a slave? A one that don't realize that there was DM 10 years ago? Master of discussion boards with restricted budget (???), 25 yo buying basic CDs and considering himself a thrash maniac?
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

I dont really know what that was supposed to mean... is it rare? how often does it pop up on eBay?
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

I think that the link you provided reflects nowadays ebay reality, although I would expect that it'll end a little lower on German ebay.