Where to find rare and foreign metal LPs?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Crows In Black

Where to find rare and foreign metal LPs?

Post by Crows In Black »

Okay, Ive given up on used record stores in the US, all they ever have in their "metal" sections are new vinyl from shitty black metal bands or crap like AC/DC and Krokus....so does anyone know any good online stores (or actual stores in the US) or anywhere else where I can find foreign metal (by that I mean non-us) on LP or even CD?
sabbat666

Post by sabbat666 »

"all they ever have in their "metal" sections are new vinyl from shitty black metal bands or crap like AC/DC and Krokus"

how true this is! but sometimes, i mean VERY rarely do i find an LP worth buying.
I usually have better luck with CDs. the other day i picked up CDs from Toxic, Brocus Helm, Xentrix, Vendetta, and Vectom.

Anyway, the only online places i know to get em at are Yahoo JP and Ebay. sadly.
I havent tried any record fares yet. but been wanting to.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Where are you in the USA??

are you looking for CD's or Vinyl?
acid

Post by acid »

Crap like AC/DC? Tss.. grow up!!

Anyway, for rare stuff I'd go to metal markets or ebay. I used to find some rare records in stores through Holland, but I dont have time to visit them anymore.
Geen gezeik, ik heb gelijk.
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

sabbat666 wrote:"all they ever have in their "metal" sections are new vinyl from shitty black metal bands or crap like AC/DC and Krokus"

how true this is! but sometimes, i mean VERY rarely do i find an LP worth buying.
I usually have better luck with CDs. the other day i picked up CDs from Toxic, Brocus Helm, Xentrix, Vendetta, and Vectom.

Anyway, the only online places i know to get em at are Yahoo JP and Ebay. sadly.
I havent tried any record fares yet. but been wanting to.
Yeah, CD's are pretty easy to find most of the time because they are newer I guess, but if I have to choose between CD and LP I will choose LP
glockose wrote:

Where are you in the USA??

are you looking for CD's or Vinyl?
Right now I am in the midwest area (KY, OH, TN, IL) and I am trying to find either CD's or Vinyl but prefer vinyl.
acid wrote: Crap like AC/DC? Tss.. grow up!!

Anyway, for rare stuff I'd go to metal markets or ebay. I used to find some rare records in stores through Holland, but I dont have time to visit them anymore.
I wasn't insulting AC/DC, I just mean that if you go to the "metal" section of a record store, thats usually ALL they have.......and metal markets or anything similar are non-existent here .
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Record fairs are always a great thing to find rare stuff for instance the record fairs at festivals. Ebay and Gemm are a good place for records and cd's and people on this forum have tradelists you can get things from.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Fucking Åmål

Re: Where to find rare and foreign metal LPs?

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Crows In Black wrote: or crap like AC/DC and Krokus.
Much a hystorical band krokus was and is.I can't at all agree about Krokus.Krokus for me was a very good Hard/Heavy metal band.Their album Headhunter was their best.If you like Accept you should check that.The best Swiss band for me!
As for AC/DC i never liked them though.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

OK
In the USA things are a little differant, There are NO Metal Marts.
And there are only a few stores that carry a lot of metal.

Record shows are hit and miss. At the Austin TX show(Oct) there will be 3-4 metal dealers CD's and Vinyl, At WFMU show NY/NJ (Nov) there again will be 2-3 metal dealers. In small shows around the country http://www.recordshowsofamerica.com/
you will find 1-2 dealers mostly CD's at these but you never know you might get lucky.

There is a store or 2 in OH that have lots of metal, and at least 1 in TN. I will get the names and get back to you ASAP.

If you have a want list you can PM it to me and I would be happy to take a look at it for you
beerandjesus

Post by beerandjesus »

John's right--you can forget about metal marts in the USA, and to our European friends: Don't forget that the distances here are immense. To drive from San Francisco (where I live) to the Austin show, to see those few metal dealers, would take about two days, one-way; to drive to the WFMU show, on the east coast, would take about a week!

But don't give up too easily on the local stores. Because if you stay with it, eventually, you WILL find something really good--and it will probably be cheap!

Not to boast, but I'll give a couple of examples that might inspire you. I've mentioned on the board before that I found the Argus record for $1, and a Danger Zone test press for $5 or $6. A couple more:

Halloween - Don't Metal with Evil: $6
Unleashed EP (with sealed press kit): $4
Snow White EP: $3
Xcursion - Ready to Roll: $4
Villain - Only Time Will Tell: $50
Mercyful Fate EP w/white border and insert: $60

Again, I sifted through thousands of shit records to find each one of those, but every one those prices is a fraction of what the record is worth!

Good luck!!