Candlemass - "Epicus...." Black Dragon/Leviathan differences?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Zdan

Candlemass - "Epicus...." Black Dragon/Leviathan differences?

Post by Zdan »

I recently read a rumor somwhere that the two versions of Candlemass' "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" released on Leviathan and Black Dragon Records how some radical differences in sound. Is this true? Anybody heard anything about this? Which one would be THE version to get on CD?
Khnud

Re: Candlemass - "Epicus...." Black Dragon/Leviathan differences?

Post by Khnud »

I'm sure mordered has written lots about this in his Candlemass chronicles.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Khnud wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:29 pm I'm sure mordered has written lots about this in his Candlemass chronicles.
I missed out on those but I would love to hear about this just a little bit.
mordred

Post by mordred »

You don’t need to consider it a rumor. I have both LP’s and they definitely sound different due to different masterings. Nothing unusual, really. The Black Dragon sounds brighter and clearer, while the Leviathan sounds darker and has more bottom end.

I don’t know about cd’s. I used to have heaps of different Candlemass cd’s but got rid of most of them years ago and I never actually played the Leviathan cd. One thing I can confirm is that Nightfall Axis (EU) and Metal Blade (US) pressings on cd sound different.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

mordred wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:53 am You don’t need to consider it a rumor. I have both LP’s and they definitely sound different due to different masterings. Nothing unusual, really. The Black Dragon sounds brighter and clearer, while the Leviathan sounds darker and has more bottom end.

I don’t know about cd’s. I used to have heaps of different Candlemass cd’s but got rid of most of them years ago and I never actually played the Leviathan cd. One thing I can confirm is that Nightfall Axis (EU) and Metal Blade (US) pressings on cd sound different.
Thank for the quick answer! Much appreciated!

Any preference among the Nightfall CD's? Which one would you pick if you had to?
mordred

Post by mordred »

Zdan wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:51 am Thank for the quick answer! Much appreciated!

Any preference among the Nightfall CD's? Which one would you pick if you had to?
Man, I wish I could be more specific. I think the Metal Blade was sharper/crisper while the Axis sounded warmer, but it’s been so long I’m not sure.

I used to have hundreds of Candlemass albums, sometimes in the region of 30 different versions of the same album. Circa 2012, I got so fed up with all the reissues and all the different “limited editions” of their new releases. I couldn’t afford to buy all of them so I decided I was done collecting them. I’ve basically only kept a vinyl first press and a remastered cd of all albums.

I wish I had made closer comparisons of all different editions and saved digital files, but alas I didn’t.
Heavy

Post by Heavy »

Are 'The Candlemass chronicles' still available for purchase?
mordred

Post by mordred »

Heavy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:05 pm Are 'The Candlemass chronicles' still available for purchase?
No, long out of print, last issue was nine years ago.

All of the research material + a ton of additional material was later compiled in the novel length biography "Behind the Wall of Doom" released by Peaceville in 2016. I think that can still be found.