Guitars with most proper »natural« Metal sound ...

When mere Metal consumerism is not enough - a forum for musicians and their trinkets.
deadhedned

Post by deadhedned »

love the sound of Les Pauls, they're not very comfortable (for me) to play, I have a Jackson RR V and that guitar is the best I've ever owned. It's weighted well, not too top or bottom heavy. Plus you can hit a pinch harmonic ANYWHERE on that neck. My first electric was a strat and they are very comfortable to play, easy neck, I have to agree with putting a humbucker in it, if not two. The only problem with a V in my opinion is that they are difficult to play sitting down, but then again, why would you sit down and play a V? As a bass player though that V will be the only guitar I keep.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

but then again, why would you sit down and play a V?
Indeed! :lol:
I am ... the One you warned me of
rictusgrin666

Post by rictusgrin666 »

Lead guitarist in my band loves Jacksons (he has a soloist and a warrior), but he recently scored a vintage Charvel, and that thing has a hella cool tone - especially if you're looking for the 80s sound - original stock pickups in it too, i think.

However on a lot of classic records, I'm sure guitarists were using fairly cheap guitars heh - in early Metallica days, Hetfield used an Epiphone V which he "disguised" as the real thing. Fender strats were used a lot - eg Maiden, Exodus, and you'd be hard pressed to find metal band using them these days. who wants to sound like eric clapton :lol:

I'd love to score an Ibenez Destroyer! But since I'm a bassist I'm saving for an Ibenez Iceman bass. sexy as hell. I currently play an ESP ltd Viper.

Pickups and amps make more of a difference than the axe alone though i think.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I play the bass (try to, at least) but I'm looking for a cheap second hand guitar just to compose at home. I saw an old Peavey for sale at a second hand store that I may end up buying, but I'm still looking. Other than that I have a Schecter bass guitar and I am quite pleased with it. Very comfortable to play and with a great sound (I've even been told so in the studio).
deadhedned

Post by deadhedned »

I play a viper bass as well, love it! It's got EMG-HZ's in it but that's my back up bass, primary is a Ibanez Ergodyne, it's a lot more comfortable to play mainly because it's balanced. My viper is so damn top heavy it's rediculous. I swear I'm going to forget one day take my hand off the neck and it's going to smash into the floor :evil: other than that though it's a fantastic bass, my favorite bass of mine though is an 84 Yamaha BB2000, it's a neckthrough and has amazing tone, but it's passive pickups and therefore doesn't have any real push for an aggressive sound needed for metal so as a result I don't get to play that one much any more
rictusgrin666

Post by rictusgrin666 »

What rig do you use?

I have a Marshall DBS7200 into a GK 4x10. Run thru a sansamp for a bit more growl. Next upgrade might be to add another cab for volume, though I'd rather have the iceman :lol:
deadhedned

Post by deadhedned »

right now, I play through a GK 1001rb head and a Hartke 8x10 full stack, when we play shows I turn it up....to 3 lol :D Thinking about down sizing the rig, get a 4x10 and 2x15, moving that rig is like moving a refrigerator every time
marouco

Post by marouco »

I play with a jackson king V (with emg85-81) and an ESP mdII this one is mad...a passive seymour duncan and a active emg81...than I have an old tubeworks speaker 4X12 and a peavey 6505...enough to make some noise.
deadhedned

Post by deadhedned »

marouco wrote:I play with a jackson king V (with emg85-81) and an ESP mdII this one is mad...a passive seymour duncan and a active emg81...than I have an old tubeworks speaker 4X12 and a peavey 6505...enough to make some noise.
NICE! I'd love to hear that one shred
marouco

Post by marouco »

deadhedned wrote:
marouco wrote:I play with a jackson king V (with emg85-81) and an ESP mdII this one is mad...a passive seymour duncan and a active emg81...than I have an old tubeworks speaker 4X12 and a peavey 6505...enough to make some noise.
NICE! I'd love to hear that one shred
You can listen something here...
http://www.myspace.com/omissionthrashmetal
Recorded with a line6 but the guitars are the same.
here it's live with all inclusive(beer).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLWZKDof4I
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

I run my Gibson through an ancient (made in 1973) Marshall Super Bass amplifier and a 4x15'' Marshall (made in 1973 as well) loudspeaker cabinet..............

I dig this rig 'cause it gives emphasis to the middle /bass frenquental territory wich i adore..................
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
Nocturnal Graves

Post by Nocturnal Graves »

Gibson les paul or Gibson flying V are the ultimate metal guitars imo. Look great and sound great... The Gibson SG is also killer.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Nocturnal Graves wrote:Gibson les paul or Gibson flying V are the ultimate metal guitars imo. Look great and sound great... The Gibson SG is also killer.
just reminded me how bad i need to save for my Gibson flying V :(
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Jacksons I never liked, and if you want a darker tone than the Gibson Les Paul is the best you can get. For a warmer or more crisp tone, the Flying V is great, and the SG I fine is in between.

For the past couple of gigs I've been using a Gibson Flying V through an ENGL Blackmore signature head with a holy grail reverb pedal through the fx loop. Sounded quite good and everything was very punchy, the pedal came in handy for some haunting leads. Honestly though, even though the V is great, an old Gibson SG is where it's at. They're light, the tone is great, the fretboard is awesome with easy access to the upper frets.

Ibanez guitars are very great too, especially iceman!
dford

Post by dford »

Anyone ever play the newer ESP's. I picked up the EC-1000 LTD Deluxe. Beautiful guitar, it's the Les Paul body with EMG'S and Floyd Rose, weight wise heavy as fuck, plays and sounds great. Been playing it for 3 months straight then finally picked up my stock SG, fuck, the sound blew the ESP away. Maybe should of went for the LES Paul or Flying V, the Floyd Rose is also driving me crazy, but not to go off topic it has a great metal sound.
Last edited by dford on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.