Guitars with most proper »natural« Metal sound ...

When mere Metal consumerism is not enough - a forum for musicians and their trinkets.
Noisenik

Guitars with most proper »natural« Metal sound ...

Post by Noisenik »

... - if such a thing exists

What manufacture and/ or product of guitars is by your opinion most suitable for playing Old School Metal music. What is your experience about that? You may also go for what your favourite bands have been playing (certain manufacture/ models).

One may, of course, say that only musician's spirit counts, but instrument is terribly important element in achieving certain sound, if nothing else, wood, pick-ups, electronics inside instrument ...
I am ... the One you warned me of
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

A Gibson Les Paul Classic does it!
Fun records
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I was on the Gibson page recently ... How about X-plorer and Gothic?
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Haven't got any good experience of neither of them, but from what I can remember from testing both Explorer and Flying V, I think they were rather hard to play. Anyway, there are lots of good guitarists having used them (Flying V: Kirk Hammett, Jon Nodtveidt, etc). As with Jackson guitars, hard to play I think, but I've heard they were better in their hey days (Randy Rhoads). Ibanez is great I think but maybe not very 'old school'. Gibson produces these retro/vintage models and as far as I'm concerned, most of the technique is 'close' to the originals. Probably a Les Paul is the only instrument with which one could try to play the 'November Rain' solo, hehe (am I 'politically' incorrect when mentioning GN'R here maybe).
Fun records
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Haven't got any good experience of neither of them, but from what I can remember from testing both Explorer and Flying V, I think they were rather hard to play.
In what sense they are hard to play?

I have rather positive experience with B.C. Rich, but they 're not really old-school profiled. I might be wrong though.

P.S. I'm dreaming of "Beast" from time to time.
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

Noisenik wrote:
Haven't got any good experience of neither of them, but from what I can remember from testing both Explorer and Flying V, I think they were rather hard to play.

I have rather positive experience with B.C. Rich, but they 're not really old-school profiled. I might be wrong though.

Firstly, the comfort factor of any guitar will vary from person to person, but for me personally guitars like Explorers & V's have a bottom heavy weight distribution that makes them a little awkward for me play (not so much the V's as the Explorers and ESPECIALLY the Beast, terrible guitar!!)

I play with a light touch so these weight/balance issues make me feel like i'm fighting the guitar - I have an old warlock which sits quite well, a Satriani Ibanez which is magic (tho my hands feel huge when strangling the thin fretboard after playing the chunkier BC Rich!) my old Jackson sits somewhere between the two I'd say...

If I were to recommend either a V or Explorer there's no contest, definitely give the nod to the V - once you find that sweet spot with the balance its a blast to play, totally exposed fretboard lets you cut loose from end to end with ease, oh and you look cool as hell too and with metal being at least 90% image these days thats ultra important :wink:
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

If I were to recommend either a V or Explorer there's no contest, definitely give the nod to the V - once you find that sweet spot with the balance its a blast to play, totally exposed fretboard lets you cut loose from end to end with ease, oh and you look cool as hell too and with metal being at least 90% image these days thats ultra important
Whoa! Thanks for exhaustive explanation 8) . Have you hold the newest V's in your hands. Are there any differences? Are the contemporary even better due to technology of production or poorer (lesser quality of wood?) or ...
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Noisenik wrote:[

Heh, hard to explain. It's just a matter of style I guess, as mentioned above.

Yea, BC Rich are really easily played. Too bad, I think there's a bit too much of a "modern black metal"-aura around them (thinking of DARK FUNERAL and their likes, well, modern Kerry King too maybe). I however think that Trey Azagthoths BC Rich as seen on "Altars of Madness" is maybe the ultimate death metal looking guitar!
Fun records
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Gibson Flying V and Jackson RR
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes.
Hellfighter

Post by Hellfighter »

Pick up a Fender Strat and put a humbucker at the bridge to avoid that hum and you've got yourself one sexy piece of ass. :D
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

I think a standard Gibson Flying V does it
acid

Post by acid »

Hellfighter wrote:Pick up a Fender Strat and put a humbucker at the bridge to avoid that hum and you've got yourself one sexy piece of ass. :D
Gotta agree.

I've got a Jackson.. some old model from ' 94. Sound is great (2 seymour duncan HB). But I still don't like the big frets. Balance is perfect.
I'm also watching my brothers guitars as he moved to the other side of the world, leaving his guitars here. I fucking LOVE the sound of the Gibson Les Paul custom from somewhere around early 70's... but this thing is fucking heavy.... I prefer his Fender Telecaster. Not exactly a metal sound (even though I love this thin surf sound... listen to Future Tense and you'll recognize this sound) but it's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. Even better than a Strat, which I also own one of... it's a great one too, too bad a real cheap one without any humbuckers, so it sounds like an angry bee on cocaine.
Geen gezeik, ik heb gelijk.
DESECRATOR777

Post by DESECRATOR777 »

any 60s gibson sg. and also ibanez rg 320 or 321.
spit on thunder!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

right now im using a Dean-Flying V, really good sound,classic indeed, oh and make sure is made out of one piece :wink:
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

A Gibson Les Paul stadard does the trick for me!My "Light Burst" is a FUCKIN' FLAME SPITTER!
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size