Heavy Metal from Finland [merged]

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Re: Rare Finnish singles

Post by DaN »

2 more shorties while on the Finn' 7"-subject:

...and:

The HN 7" was part of what started this thread ages ago, so the download link in the OP has now been updated, including the MASTERWORK 7" as well. Unfortunately I've lost my Northern Lights files, so these YT clips will have to suffice:

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Well, I guess you could call it a maxi-single, so let's post it here. As promised a few days ago, a small review and upload of this Sarcofagus-related weirdo:

Exclusive content for logged in users.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

The main thing I take from that review is that you love "Core Values". I tried to listen to it a couple of times, and while the songs themselves aren't bad I just couldn't get past the production that makes it sound like a soundtrack for an early 00s FPS (and not one of the good ones).
The Ripper

Post by The Ripper »

Does anybody have that Golden Helmet 7'' ?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Ripper wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:39 pm Does anybody have that Golden Helmet 7'' ?
Not me, but it's on the list of stuff I'll be borrowing from a friend in the coming weeks, to rip + review for the site.
Cochino wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:03 am The main thing I take from that review is that you love "Core Values". I tried to listen to it a couple of times, and while the songs themselves aren't bad I just couldn't get past the production that makes it sound like a soundtrack for an early 00s FPS (and not one of the good ones).
Ha ha, you just might be correct there, but I like the almost Futuristic feel of it - it really doesn't sound like anything else than post-millennial Sarcofagus. Instead of just sounding straight-up "modern", they're like how someone from 1980 would imagine Heavy Metal from 2007 to sound like. I think.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I get what you mean and I wish I could just take the sound as part of a conceptual piece like you. Specially since, as I've said, the songs themselves aren't bad at all, and definitely not trying to ape what they did in the past without jumping any trends either. The keyboards are as good as in the old days, and I'm a sucker for female vocals in metal so I'm down with that as well. My issues start when the guitars and drums come to the forefront, and I just can't get past it. And this is a Metal album we're talking about, so guitar and drum sound are of the utmost importance. I'm gonna keep trying to warm up to it. It's been really frustrating rather than outright awful and embarrassing *cough*Black Hole*cough*.
DaN
Administructor

Heavy Metal from Finland

Post by DaN »

Just reviewed:

..and also ripped:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
..and also Great!
bigfootkit

Re: OUTBURST Stranglers In The Night MLP 86

Post by bigfootkit »

Thanks for the upload & review DaN, this has completely passed me by until now, cheers for the education.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

The Finnish band IC Rock put out an interesting LP in '82 called 'Anyway Ya Want It' which was an odd hybrid of Thin Lizzy style dual guitars & Hanoi Rocks style ragged rawk 'n' Roll. Sounds horrible on paper, but when it works it sounds like the most natural thing in the world. Try 'It's My Life', (which i included on episode 2 of my podcast) for proof.
The following year they put out a non-LP 45 called 'Young Girl's Eyes/You Can Help' which i haven't heard, but may be worth hunting down, despite the not-very-promising-sounding song titles.
https://www.discogs.com/release/2786721 ... Girls-Eyes
They later shortened their name to IC & made a poppy album which contained none of the traits of their previous incarnation, so be warned, the 45 might just as easily be awful.
DaN
Administructor

Re: Heavy Metal from Finland

Post by DaN »

Everyone loves "The Spell Of Iron" - this one isn't that far behind, despite the corny sleeve, so now reviewed:

(Incidently also the slightly more rare and pricey of the 2)

Sound:

Edit:
I have more Finnish 12" reviews planned, but not all will be ripped so I'm rearrangeing/moving/merging some threads here for the sake of order.
/aDmiN
Cochino

Re: Heavy Metal from Finland [merged]

Post by Cochino »

Who in this forum couldn't love that Tarot cover?

Btw, I just can't help it and I have to point out that the Outburst review says "Weather" instead of "Whether" in the last line referring to the 7".
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cochino wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:33 pmBtw, I just can't help it and I have to point out that the Outburst review says "Weather" instead of "Whether" in the last line referring to the 7".
:lol: :oops:
*ahem* No it doesn't! Liar!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Cochino wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:33 pm Who in this forum couldn't love that Tarot cover?
Am i alone in thinking that it looks curiously modern? Stylistically it looks more like computer rendered art from the 2010s rather than something from the 80s. Another case for Agent Nightsblood to add to his 'Time-Travelling Discography Manipulators' dossier for further investigation?
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

It definitely looks like it could belong to some weirdo/outsider bandcamp project
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Cochino wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:41 am It definitely looks like it could belong to some weirdo/outsider bandcamp project
"Stripper Of Flatulent Terror" :lol: :lol: :lol: