The Bathory Poll

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

The Ultimate Bathory album

Bathory
18%
The Return...
12%
Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
14%
Blood Fire Death
18%
Hammerheart
25%
Twilight Of The Gods
9%
Requiem
No votes
Octagon
No votes
Blood On Ice
3%
Destroyer Of Worlds
No votes
Nordland I
No votes
Nordland II
No votes

Total votes: 65

Rob

Post by Rob »

great_knuthulhu wrote: best album? Probably change my mind later, but The Return... for now
I second that.
6is9
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

Damn! Tough poll.

I voted for Blood Fire Death just because I was listening to it yesterday, but I can't really pick one among BFD, Hammerheart, Blood On Ice and Twilight of the Gods. That's impossible. Do you want me to explode?

On the other hand, the first albums, revered by many in this forum, don't do much for me and Requiem and Octagon are crap, lets face it. I still haven't listed carefully to the Nordland albums, though.

Children of all slaves
Unite be proud
Rise out of darkness and pain

A chariot of thunder and gold
Will come loud
And a warrior of thunder and rain

With hair as white as snow
Hammer of steel
To set you free of your chains

And to lead you all
Where horses run free
And the souls of the ancient ones reign

Blood! Fire! Death!
"The destruction of a thousand billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane"

Days Of The Locust. My blog o' movies.
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

that first one is all i need in a tharsh metal lp......Dirty ,hellish ,Venom like rock'n'roll metal............

oh ,and yeah, Quorthon never liked or was influenced by Venom etc etc etc
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
Melkor

Post by Melkor »

Actually the first Bathory LP isn't thrash metal at all.
Reverend Bizarre bless you with fire!
jared

Post by jared »

Melkor wrote:Actually the first Bathory LP isn't thrash metal at all.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Witchkiller wrote:oh ,and yeah, Quorthon never liked or was influenced by Venom etc etc etc
Yeah right... I know it is not polite to speak bad of the dead, but I remember reading an intie in the German Metal Hammer back in late 80s and he went an extra mile claiming how he worshiped Venom and wanted to play like them on the s/t but didnt know how as he was a complete guitar rookie...

It is kinda ironic that an album which influenced entire movement only happened coz someone didnt know how to play their instrument :lol:
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Haha....

And where's the "none" option?

I find all Bathory material so boring and average.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Avenger wrote:Haha....

Even if the albums are all boring, there must be one slightly less boring than the rest, which would be the ultimate Bathory album.

I've heard too few Bathory albums to vote.
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

stormspell wrote:
Witchkiller wrote:oh ,and yeah, Quorthon never liked or was influenced by Venom etc etc etc
Yeah right... I know it is not polite to speak bad of the dead, but I remember reading an intie in the German Metal Hammer back in late 80s and he went an extra mile claiming how he worshiped Venom and wanted to play like them on the s/t but didnt know how as he was a complete guitar rookie...

It is kinda ironic that an album which influenced entire movement only happened coz someone didnt know how to play their instrument :lol:
Is there any way you (or anyone else) can track that down and perhaps scan it or something? I'd love to read that. I never knew there was an interview in which he talked about listening to Venom prior to the first album since he always denied it, from what I've read. Not that I believed him. :lol:
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Melkor wrote:Actually the first Bathory LP isn't thrash metal at all.
Well ,then the first Kreator ,Sodom lps aren't Thrash Metal either
stormspell wrote:

The post of mine that you quoted was wayyyy ironic. Off course Quorthon diged Venom much. Not only the music ,but the song titles as well, bear similarities to the hellish power triofrom Newcastle.................
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Black Axe wrote:

Even if the albums are all boring, there must be one slightly less boring than the rest, which would be the ultimate Bathory album.

I can understand someone not liking Bathory or even saying that it's boring. But average. I'm at loss here.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Professor Black wrote:Twilight of the Gods, without hesitation! The climax/resolve at the end of "Blood and Iron" is better than just about anything in the universe!
pretty much sums my feelings towards bathory, plus im not very familiar with the later albums, debut album would be my second choice for sure tho its a completely different style

i would love to have an "average" mind when it comes to create such tracks with that amazing, yet "average" atmosphere :P ...sorry Avenger i dont agree
St. Erben

Post by St. Erben »

Bathory "s/t". I sometimes get the impression that people worship this album mainly because it's so damn cool, or it's that cult debut with the goat on it or whatever. But I worship the songs and the style. Never afterwards has a band been able to sound like this (well I don't know how many really tried; in the 90s everyone wanted to sound like "Under the Sign"... etc). This magnificent rock n' roll BLACK METAL. Like a Motörhead from the deepest pits of Hell. (And no, after all most of it wasn't really the same thing as Venom, riffwise)
Whenever a new band tries to write a song in this vein, they come off sounding cheesy and happy, like an old track I remember from Bewitched (Swe) or whatever. But Bathory, when they did it, sounded fucking evil. I think this is the very best one for me in the end.
Well fucking "The Return....." also is a close candidate of course (a completely different style).
And it must always be said that the first six are all essentials, well "Blood on Ice" too.

The holy grail of metal for me might very well be that unreleased "Necronomicon" EP from 1985. Sounding like something in-between "s/t" and "The Return......"? Fucking Hell, fucking...
MetalizeR

Post by MetalizeR »

A difficult one... the s/t mmm no to comun answer, Under the Sign is my election!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Erlking wrote:
Black Axe wrote:

I can understand someone not liking Bathory or even saying that it's boring. But average. I'm at loss here.
Well, if you were to find a band boring, I'm sure that you wouldn't claim them to be ground breaking either... Not to mention, the mediocre musicianship. So what exactly is your definition of average?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."