The Bathory Poll

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

The Ultimate Bathory album

Bathory
18%
The Return...
12%
Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
14%
Blood Fire Death
18%
Hammerheart
25%
Twilight Of The Gods
9%
Requiem
No votes
Octagon
No votes
Blood On Ice
3%
Destroyer Of Worlds
No votes
Nordland I
No votes
Nordland II
No votes

Total votes: 65

The Sentinel

The Bathory Poll

Post by The Sentinel »

Well, I'm bored as hell now and thought it would be a great idea to make a poll of this mighty band. Not much has been said about Bathory on this forum, but that will change now. What's the ultimate Bathory album according to you guys.

For me, it's Hammerheart, because it's one of the best epic records. What I like the most is the CRUSHING GUITAR SOUND throughout the songs. "One Rode To Asa Bay" and "Shores In Flames" are on par with Manilla Road's and Manowar's best epic tracks.
Long Live The Loud !!!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Very difficult poll, it's very hard to choose only a BATHORY album !!
I would say each album from "Bathory" to "Twilight of the Gods", I love them all !!

I had to save only one from an arson(terrible choice !!) : "Blood Fire Death".
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Very difficult to choose only one...I voted for Hammerheart. Bathory are one of my all time favorite bands... However, the epic element on their albums is simply out of this world that's why i'll give a few more points for the godliest trilogy ever i.e Hammeheart - Twillight of the gods - Blood on ice.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Keir

Re: The Bathory Poll

Post by Keir »

The Sentinel wrote:For me, it's Hammerheart, because it's one of the best epic records. What I like the most is the CRUSHING GUITAR SOUND throughout the songs. "One Rode To Asa Bay" and "Shores In Flames" are on par with Manilla Road's and Manowar's best epic tracks.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I remember when Hammerheart came out I bought it blindly, having only heard a couple tracks from "Under the Sign..." and was totally taken off guard.

I find Twilight of the Gods to be incredibly dull though.
peterott

Post by peterott »

the first two, because they were the first I ever listened to and they are stuck in my heart forever. The first one has the better melodies in some songs while the seond one is more brutal, and with the best song Total Destruction it has a song were everything goes wrong incl. the drummer not knowing what to play after several breaks. But damn it, very hard decision.

I go for the debut and listen to "Valleys Of Hades" now.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

I voted on Blood Fire Death because of the power that album has..black metal up your ass! "A Fine Day to Die" and "For all those who died" are my favorite ones on this skullcrushing album.

Tho, if there would be a "The Bathory Song Poll", I would have voted "Gods of thunder and wind and of rain"..God! I love that song more than anything else that came out of Quorthon's head.

rip!
Without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes.
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

argh, so hard to pick!!!

S/T, The Return, Under the Sign... & BloodFireDeath are all essential albums but I guess tonight it has to be BloodFireDeath, for certain one of my favourite albums to blast in solitude in a dark room wearing nothing but my guitar and a leather codpiece... (go on, close your eyes for a minute and imagine it! :shock: )
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I love when you impose hard decisions on me, dudes :? Tough question. First six are essential in my opinion.

Well, under pressure I voted for Under The Sign Of The Black Mark. Let's say it's the most consistent in ... a way.
I am ... the One you warned me of
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

I voted Hammerheart. One of my top 5 albums of all times! Rough, epic, this album has so much life! The songstructures are quite simple and repeatable, but that makes the whole thing just more intense.
The lyrics on this album are among the best I ever read, BAPTISED IN FIRE AND ICE, ONE RODE TO ASA BAY, SHORES IN FLAMES, all mercyless classics!
Not to forget the best BATHORY track ever: HOME OF ONCE BRAVE!!
We praise the blood that metal brings
anthares

Post by anthares »

As everyone above, very hard choice. Hammerheart is probably the most beautiful album but then again the debut rocks harder. Return is fucking close with it. Under the sign is most brutal ever. I vote for debut!
otakon

Post by otakon »

i live for the first 5 .. my favourites in order probably being

The Return (heaviest and most evil bathory imo ;)
S/T
Hammerheart
Blood Fire Death
Under The Sign Of The Black Mark

the other stuff like Blood On Ice , Twilight, Nordland are all decent too
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Voted Hammerheart because there's no because.The lyrics the atmosphere,guitar sound,the falcetto vocals,the melodies.Surely the most epic album of all times.All tracks are really masterpieces.if i had a second option i voted for Blood Fire Death that thrashes all Anthrax,Megadeth,Sepultura...of the
world in sight.

My fave Bathory song is ''Valhalla''.Yes the one with the horn :twisted:
Last edited by Fucking Åmål on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

This band went through so many different phases it's unusually difficult to pick a fave. The debut, "Under the sign.." and "Hammerheart" all feel like my Favourite BATHORY Album depending on the mood, but if I had to pick one I'd probably go with "Under the sign..", both for it's strong song material and wide spectra of sounds. Fave song would have to be "Armageddon" from the debut though.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Debut or Hammerheart, it's a tough call. I voted Hammerheart. The ultimate Doom Viking Metal album.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

peterott wrote:the seond one is more brutal, and with the best song Total Destruction it has a song were everything goes wrong incl. the drummer not knowing what to play after several breaks.
Apparently, Quorthon was drunk as a skunk throughout the recording of The Return..., which explains a lot. "Sadist (Tormentor)" & "Son of the Damned" still get my blood boiling, I must say.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."