Expectations / Standards / Criteria regarding music

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
aaaaag

Post by aaaaag »

Riffs.
Derrick Metaliszta

Post by Derrick Metaliszta »

The first thing that grabs my interest in a Metal band is that they sing in their own language. Nowadays I hardly ever care to a listen to a band that doesn't sing in their native tongue. For me, such a thing makes listening to Metal a learning experience.
Melalui lorong hidupku, akan ku teruskan...
Pelayaran ini sehingga hujungnya!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Helm wrote: For technothrash I go with DISCIPLINE, REASON and INTENSITY instead
Intensity as in "labour-intensive industries" or intensity that works from somewhere deep down. The later I have quite a difficulty to grasp and define. But I'd dare to say that at least Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are pretty intensive that way.
I am ... the One you warned me of
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Noisenik wrote:
Intensity as in "labour-intensive industries" or intensity that works from somewhere deep down. The later I have quite a difficulty to grasp and define. But I'd dare to say that at least Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are pretty intensive that way.
I thought they were names of three "technothrash" bands....:lol:
Helm

Post by Helm »

Noisenik wrote:
Intensity is how much 'thrash' there is in the technothrash to put it in a dumb way. That which separates the technothrash bands from Dream Theater. It doesn't have to be a 'sound' thing (sometimes especially weak production destroys any possibility of the band coming out sounding 'tough' with their metal) it's more of an aesthetic and composition choices thing. The end of Deathrow's 'Machinery' where the whole band goes into a pulverising unison triplet riff that underlines the hopelessness of the situation (being a cog in a great uncaring machine), it really drives the point home, on a psychosomatic level. I FEEL the opression. that's the intensity I'm talking about.

Or Watchtower at the 'WAR what am I fighting for? WAR What am I killing for WAR WHY AM I DYING?' part. I feel the hopelessness. This isn't ponytail metal.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

So the intensity that you feel as slight tiredness after you have listened to album ... ? The one non-Metal example of itensive music is that of Peter Hammill solo. And VDGG aren't far behind.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Helm

Post by Helm »

Yea lots of music gets you on the edge, that's all intensity in my book.
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Heavier, faster, better written riffs than there predecessors....Originality is important...If a band can not be original, it want least a attempt for a band to create something that is there own. I also look for albums with no filler tracks, songs written to fill track order space...aka songs for the sake of being songs.

Thinks like authenticity are important. With songwriting If I can not remember the music, after sending 3 weeks with it, and I can not remember the whole album goes to "return for store credit pile".

But I usually avoid these return to store credit situations, buy avoiding over-hyped bullshit in the first place. I collect according to what albums that will survive the test of time. It is not rocket science to find albums that are timeless classic.
DeathMetalWeenie

Heavier, faster, better written riffs than there predecessors....Originality is important...If a band can not be original, it want least a attempt for a band to create something that is there own. I also look for albums with no filler tracks, songs written to fill track order space...aka songs for the sake of being songs.

Thinks like authenticity are important. With songwriting If I can not remember the music, after sending 3 weeks with it, and I can not remember the whole album goes to "return for store credit pile".

But I usually avoid these return to store credit situations, buy avoiding over-hyped bullshit in the first place. I collect according to what albums that will survive the test of time. It is not rocket science to find albums that are timeless classic.
DeathMetalWeenie

DeathMetalWeenie

DeathMetalWeenie

DeathMetalWeenie

DeathMetalWeenie

DeathMetalWeenie