bands in the vein of Ashbury?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Ernest Thesiger

Re: bands in the vein of Ashbury?

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Pavlos wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:06 pm Here we go:

https://we.tl/t-7ikYXx5Q6G
Thanks!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
lynx

Post by lynx »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:48 am Stumbled across this song on YT earlier & thought it had a heaped spoonfull of 'Endless Skies' era Ashbury vibe:

[youtube]wxAJfbpS3gY[/youtube]
I find it a lot more to be in a folksinger style than Ashbury style, but great song nonetheless.
Lord_Sauron

Post by Lord_Sauron »

Pavlos wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:06 pm Here we go:

https://we.tl/t-7ikYXx5Q6G
The link seems to be dead :(
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

Download links on WeTransfer expire after one week.

Here's a new one: https://we.tl/t-oaN5yvYxPe
Lord_Sauron

Post by Lord_Sauron »

Pavlos wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:07 pm Download links on WeTransfer expire after one week.

Here's a new one: https://we.tl/t-oaN5yvYxPe
Thank You very much
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

Almost three years have passed and it was about time for another sampler in the vein of holy Ashbury:

(if you're interested in the download-link, drop me a PM)

01. Mad Jack – Hanging Tree
02. Raisin Kane – Tennessee Foxy Lady
03. Zish – It Takes Time
04. Ursa Major – Back To The Land
05. Doke Brothers Band – Heart In Two
06. Jam Pact – Leave It Alone
07. Doc Holliday – Lonesome Guitar
08. Lee Clayton – Silver Stallion
09. The Deep River Band - Stormlord
10. Grinderswitch – Ashes And Stone
11. Eve Moon - Hunger
12. The Dave Chastain Band – One In The Sun
13. Pacific - Earthwatch
14. The Justice McBride Band – I Know You're Gonna Cry
15. The Ray Pittman Band - Bullets
16. Outlaws – Green Gras & High Tides

Yee-haw, cowboys.....
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Pavlos wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:18 am (if you're interested in the download-link, drop me a PM)
Well DUH! :shock: :D
You can post the download link in this thread, highlight it and click the padlock icon above, and it will only be visible to registered users. The exclusivity-level that I presume you are aspiring to will be the same, but with less logistics on your part.
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

Ok, so here we go:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
:)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Many thanks for the upload Pavlos, great work. There's some really good music on this & for the most part i can absolutely hear the Ashbury-ness in the tracks you included.
Personally i'd have plumped for the live versions of the recognised Southern Rock classics included (Green Grass & Lonsesome Guitar) as they are harder edged and even more epic in scope & length than their studio counterparts. Also jaw-droppingly impressive to hear some of that incredibly complicated guitar interplay recreated (& often bettered) on their live incarnations. I'd also have swapped out the cover of 'One In The Sun' for the Skynyrd version (or for Steve Gaines solo rendition) & included a different Dave Chastain Band song instead as there are a few on that album that have a whiff of Ashbury about them. The folkier side of Ashbury seems a wee bit under-represented but that's a style i know little about personally.
Just minor gripes & personal biases though, most of this works perfectly.
Of the songs i was unfamiliar with the Zish track sounds great & i'm currently d/ling the album, Lee Clayton didn't do 'it' for me mainly because i'm not generally a big fan of saxes in rock music & the vocal was a bit lacklustre & the Eve Moon song was pretty good though i personally didn't really get the Ashbury vibe too strongly.
Bonus good taste points awarded for the inclusion of that Pacific song which i absolutely love & for plucking out that excellent Ursa Major track which usually languishes under the long shadow cast by that album's opening song 'Sinner'.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

1. wow, thanx for the detailed feedback!!

2. The Eve Moon song to me started making more sense the moment I tried to ignore that there's a woman singing. The guitars (especially in the chorus) to me definitely sound like they could have been on Endless Skies.

3. As for 'One In The Sun', I knew this version before I listened to the versions of LS and Steve Gaines, so up to that point I thought that its a Dave Matthews Band song...and that's how I still regard it somehow. But yes, there are other songs on "Rockin' Roulette" that probably fit the Ashbury topic better. But after all the harder and faster tracks that come before 'One In The Sun' on the sampler I wanted to include some sort of slower "ballad". Besides that: "Rockin' Roulette" is one hell of an album!!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

From our southern Rock erudite. 8)
bigfootkit wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:40 am Many thanks for the upload Pavlos, great work. There's some really good music on this & for the most part i can absolutely hear the Ashbury-ness in the tracks you included.
Personally i'd have plumped for the live versions of the recognised Southern Rock classics included (Green Grass & Lonsesome Guitar) as they are harder edged and even more epic in scope & length than their studio counterparts. Also jaw-droppingly impressive to hear some of that incredibly complicated guitar interplay recreated (& often bettered) on their live incarnations. I'd also have swapped out the cover of 'One In The Sun' for the Skynyrd version (or for Steve Gaines solo rendition) & included a different Dave Chastain Band song instead as there are a few on that album that have a whiff of Ashbury about them. The folkier side of Ashbury seems a wee bit under-represented but that's a style i know little about personally.
Just minor gripes & personal biases though, most of this works perfectly.
Of the songs i was unfamiliar with the Zish track sounds great & i'm currently d/ling the album, Lee Clayton didn't do 'it' for me mainly because i'm not generally a big fan of saxes in rock music & the vocal was a bit lacklustre & the Eve Moon song was pretty good though i personally didn't really get the Ashbury vibe too strongly.
Bonus good taste points awarded for the inclusion of that Pacific song which i absolutely love & for plucking out that excellent Ursa Major track which usually languishes under the long shadow cast by that album's opening song 'Sinner'.
Wish I could get deeper into that sphere, but probably won't happen in this life.

Pavlos, thank you very much for uploading it. Hopefully, this will help me to gain more appreciation of the band, eventually.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Pavlos wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:58 pm 1. wow, thanx for the detailed feedback!!

2. The Eve Moon song to me started making more sense the moment I tried to ignore that there's a woman singing. The guitars (especially in the chorus) to me definitely sound like they could have been on Endless Skies.

3. As for 'One In The Sun', I knew this version before I listened to the versions of LS and Steve Gaines, so up to that point I thought that its a Dave Matthews Band song...and that's how I still regard it somehow. But yes, there are other songs on "Rockin' Roulette" that probably fit the Ashbury topic better. But after all the harder and faster tracks that come before 'One In The Sun' on the sampler I wanted to include some sort of slower "ballad". Besides that: "Rockin' Roulette" is one hell of an album!!
1. No worries Pavlos. Sorry if it was a bit lengthy but you did ask for my impressions & i didn't want to short-change you.
2. I'll try to focus more on that part, though it'll be difficult as she has such a nice voice.
3. I get that. I find the first time you're exposed to a song you like it gets imprinted on you in some way & becomes 'the definitive version' & only on very rare occasions does another version ever take it's place. Totally agree with you about 'Rockin' Roulette', it's a cool record that doesn't get enough plaudits.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Metal Knight

Post by Metal Knight »

Pavlos wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:33 pm Ok, so here we go:
Many many thanks !!! Your compilation is incredible :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Enjoying the shit out of this and I'm only on track #5 so far...

@Pavlos:
Would it be OK to add both your volumes to this page on the site --> https://thecorroseum.org/downloads/index.php
...under the "Samplers from the forum"-banner at the bottom?
I could add them to my registered mediafire account and keep them as a hidden links in the OP, so it would still be members-only, but more permanent.
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

DaN wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:06 pm
Enjoying the shit out of this and I'm only on track #5 so far...

@Pavlos:
Would it be OK to add both your volumes to this page on the site --> https://thecorroseum.org/downloads/index.php
...under the "Samplers from the forum"-banner at the bottom?
I could add them to my registered mediafire account and keep them as a hidden links in the OP, so it would still be members-only, but more permanent.
Sounds like a plan, let's do this.