Nostalgia: Headbanger's Ball

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
tomas

Nostalgia: Headbanger's Ball

Post by tomas »

I really miss those days because I loved that show. I was a kid / early teen, metal was new to me and I taped every show. Of course they played some crap as well, I usually liked the 'Triple Thrash Treat', in which they showed some heavier bands.

Some videos that I will never forget:
Sepultura - Troops Of Doom
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Type O Negative - Black No. 1

By the way, I also had a thing for the hostess of the show :)
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

hostess? rikki rachtman was kinda flamboyant but i dunno if he went THAT far...

i have a bunch of hard rock/hm videos on tape somewhere that i got from late night showings of this. a few gems buried in a mountain of crap - regardless most are entertaining and its nice to pull out every now and then with some beers and some laughs
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

As a teenager, I used to watch "Monsters of Rock" on Sky Channel. It was hosted by Mick Wall.

They played classic H-R/H-M clips of that period, but sometimes; some obscure clips like VORTEX "Open the Gates", CELTIC FROST " Circle of the Tyrants", ...
DMR

Post by DMR »

When I first got into metal in 1993, I loved Headbanger's Ball. Looking back, there were way too many videos by bands like Soundgarden, Tool and Nine Inch Nails instead of real metal. And whenever they'd play Judas Priest, it'd be one of their more commercial songs like Headin' Out to the Highway or Livin' After Midnight instead of Electric Eye or Painkiller. Because of that, I thought Judas Priest was a cheesy dinosaur rock band for a long time.

On the other hand, they did show some GWAR videos every now and then. Those were great!
anthares

Post by anthares »

omen of hate wrote:As a teenager, I used to watch "Monsters of Rock" on Sky Channel. It was hosted by Mick Wall.

They played classic H-R/H-M clips of that period, but sometimes; some obscure clips like VORTEX "Open the Gates", CELTIC FROST " Circle of the Tyrants", ...
Unforgettable! Especially Mick scratching his ear constantlty.
Vortex was a big obscurity for me for a long time after eighties. But never forgot that video which is a classic! Like videos from Ultimate Revenge live video.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

khiijol wrote:hostess? rikki rachtman was kinda flamboyant but i dunno if he went THAT far...
I think he might be referring to the European version.
peterott

Re: Nostalgia: Headbanger's Ball

Post by peterott »

tomas wrote:I really miss those days because I loved that show. I was a kid / early teen, metal was new to me and I taped every show. Of course they played some crap as well, I usually liked the 'Triple Thrash Treat', in which they showed some heavier bands.

Some videos that I will never forget:
Sepultura - Troops Of Doom
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Type O Negative - Black No. 1

By the way, I also had a thing for the hostess of the show :)
I rememeber once in early 90es that one of the My Dying Bride guys was invited by Vanessa Warwick and he presented the Triple Thrash Treat. Celtic Frost - Circle Of the Tyrants, Venom - Nightmare and a Kreator clip. Awesome. That was shown in the night of Sunday to Monday 0:00am-2.00am, so I knew that I won't learn too much in school on the Monday morning.

for the Germans here: On Tele5 channel we had a cool Metal show in late 80es, presented by whomever (the Holy Moses or Zed Yago gal? Can't remember). That was killer. Seeing a Pestilence clip and other stuff here, either on Saturday night or repeated on a Wednesday afternoon. Aaaarghhhhhhhhh. Also the name of the show escaped me right now too...

better on Saturday afternoon was a Swiss music show on the only Swiss TV channel in late 80es. Usually they showed the Swiss alternative/avantgarde scene (like Young Gods and other unknown softer, weird, non-trend stuff) but there was always Metal included, with clips and intis of Coroner, Celtic Frost, wasn't Messiah there too (?) ... I miss that.
Crows In Black

Post by Crows In Black »

here in the US, we used to get the canadian channel Much Music, but it was called Much Music USA.....the cool thing was they had a metal show on at night called LOUD and they showed RAZOR all the fucking time! Too bad that channel turned into the shitty ass FUSE channel.
solar eagle

Post by solar eagle »

Headbanger's ball was crap.Rarely did that show have some good videos.Usually,alternative crap and other non-metal stuff.Thank God,at least there was the Triple Thrash threat!
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

In my opinion, HB has no significance to me. It was just another way to make money for those big TV channels, not because they were interested in the cultural aportation of Metal as a youth movement 8)
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I'm not sure what was the 80s outlet here for metal on TV. I hear ABC's Beatbox had a metal special with Heaven, Lotus, Slaughter Lord and other bands once. Maybe an old fart like wicked keeper or körgull could give me some insight. Hooray for youtube.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Nicko McBuff wrote:I'm not sure what was the 80s outlet here for metal on TV. I hear ABC's Beatbox had a metal special with Heaven, Lotus, Slaughter Lord and other bands once. Maybe an old fart like wicked keeper or körgull could give me some insight. Hooray for youtube.
Yeah the famous Beatbox "Heavy Metal Love" special - The Lotus clip wasn't on that ,it was on a seperate episode. They played Warrior -Fighting For The Earth (I think) a song by The Hard-On's (dunno why) and as the title suggests Helix :lol: It was mainly just interviews with Sydney Headbangers -filmed at the Seven Hills Inn and Utopia when it was in Martin Place and people like Slaughter Lord ,Wayne Campbell from Mortal Sin , John The Beast from Escape and others...I had it on tape for years ,but lost it ,my mate still his copy ,I wanna get it transferred to dvd and probably make a few copies for people.

Apart from that ,there was pretty much fuck all on OZ TV even in the 80's -there were clips here and there RAGE used to play quite a few now and then ,but the only other big Metal thing I remember was a show called Nightshift on Channel 10(or was it Video Hits? the one hosted by Basia Bonkowski) had a "Heavy Metal weekend" once that played all Metal clips on Friday & Saturday night -I also remember a similar show showing a few clips as early as 83 ,and Rock Arena on the ABC had a special one week-which was repeated about two years ago (you know how RAGE plays those old repeats of Countdown & the like every January)
Hopefully one day ABC 2 (digital channel) might repeat that old beatbox special ,I remember they use to show segments from old episodes of Beatbox when they first started. I wish someone would upload it to youtube. :lol:
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

yeah add to that Countdown Revolution on the ABC in the late 80ies which used to play a few metal clips and get the odd touring band on for an interview and live number (still have a great episode w/D.A.D somewhere...) Some guy with a bandana was the inhouse metal "expert"

Mtv hosted by Richard Wilkins would very occasionally play some metal too and definitely on 2 occasions had a metal special w/about an hour of metal clips. This was around Maidens 7soa7s period as I remember them playing the Can I play with Madness clip for the first time

...pfff not much else, Johnno & Danno's Saturday Morning Live was good for the odd Stryper clip & a bit of glam!

*edit*
OH! and how could anyone forget HeyHey Its Saturday?? Darryl & Ossie brought us some of the worst lip sync performances ever from Roxus, Poison, Warrant, Alice Cooper and most of the HR/HM arena bands that toured here throught the 80ies & 90ies
Last edited by decibelrebel on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I vaugely remember seeing STARZ on Rock Arena & that's about it, apart from the stuff aired on Beatbox, Countdown Revolution & of course RAGE! I remember RAGE playing a lot of the Carcass, My Dying Bride & Napalm Death-era clips in the early to mid 90's!
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Korgüll wrote:I vaugely remember seeing STARZ on Rock Arena & that's about it, apart from the stuff aired on Beatbox, Countdown Revolution & of course RAGE! I remember RAGE playing a lot of the Carcass, My Dying Bride & Napalm Death-era clips in the early to mid 90's!
Dunno about My Dying Shite being a good thing.... :lol:

I remember "Who Cares Wins" & "Anti-Social" by Dan's favourite Noo Yawkers and Death Angel's "Seemingly Endless Time" getting quite a flogging on Rage back around '91.

EDIT : Haha , never thought I'd see Richard Wilkins name mentioned here.. :lol: