Sharing rare Metal..

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
FenderMedium

Sharing rare Metal..

Post by FenderMedium »

[Split from the Technothrash-thread/Administructor]

Helm wrote:Fendermedium, that's a bit ridiculous, I'm sorry to say. I never had to sneak about soulseek, I had ripped my cd collection before I even found it, so I started with something like 1,000 cds online and nobody complained.
Wouldn't have done any good for me as most of my cd collection was common stuff,there were people with the best files on soulseek who would ban you if you if didn't have anything rare to offer,I was not about to risk a perm ban for sharing common files nor was I about to get queued up and bogged down because some idiot wanted to download common stuff from me.
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

I don't want to share with everyone so shoot me! I am not about to give people full access to my files that have taken me a long time to piece together and get all the bitrates I want to have some asshole come in and get them all at once.

Granted I would give any member here full access no matter how much I dislike them but some people just aren't worthy.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Aren't worthy of stuff you didn't pay for?
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Nope, I don't care if its free its not easy to gather up, I worked hard to gather this music.
Helm

Post by Helm »

FenderMedium wrote:Nope, I don't care if its free its not easy to gather up, I worked hard to gather this music.
You're assigning worth to your patience at not paying for music. That's one brand of self-importance that really can be upsetting for people who have more valid life-persuits. I mean, it's one thing to rip a vynil demo that nobody else would bother and and share it with people, therefore ensuring that the music isn't lost forever, and quite another to pretend you're hardcore because you've leeched enough to have a sizable collection.

No, it's not hard work to download music from the internet. It takes patience and clicking a mouse. Sheesh.
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Helm wrote:
FenderMedium wrote:Nope, I don't care if its free its not easy to gather up, I worked hard to gather this music.
You're assigning worth to your patience at not paying for music. That's one brand of self-importance that really can be upsetting for people who have more valid life-persuits. I mean, it's one thing to rip a vynil demo that nobody else would bother and and share it with people, therefore ensuring that the music isn't lost forever, and quite another to pretend you're hardcore because you've leeched enough to have a sizable collection.

No, it's not hard work to download music from the internet. It takes patience and clicking a mouse. Sheesh.
You are saying I should cater those who are too stupid or lazy to find the music for themselves because their life pursuits are what they wish to focus on? Maybe they shouldn't be listening to music at all and focus on their life pursuits,I'm not about to hand over every piece of music I have on a silver platter to some idiot who is too lazy to find it themselves.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

But now that you've got the music why make it so difficult for others? why not save them the pain and hardship you had to go through to get it.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Because most of them don't deserve to have it that easily.

According to your logic I should burn every rare mp3 in existance to dvd's and send them to everyone who wants them.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

One thing i'd like to say is that many people want to possess rare & obscure stuff only for showing off. You know, the type of guy who has the one and only PARADOXX demo and thinks he's more metal than anything else in the whole universe just because of that. From this point of view, yes, these guys don't deserve it. They are mere posers and they do no good to metal. Of course, when sharing/uploading stuff you can't be familiar in much depth with each case, you only hope that the music finally reaches the right ears. I'm not against sharing, but a little bit more caution wouldn't be bad i think.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Helm

Post by Helm »

I thought the point was to preserve the Heavy Metal of old for future generations, not keep it from them until they reach an arbiterate point of 'worthyness' and then dispense it with a drop measurer because we are the sekret keepers of metal lore and that is our decreed destiny or what the hell. I find this attitude a bit off.
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Helm wrote:I thought the point was to preserve the Heavy Metal of old for future generations, not keep it from them until they reach an arbiterate point of 'worthyness' and then dispense it with a drop measurer because we are the sekret keepers of metal lore and that is our decreed destiny or what the hell. I find this attitude a bit off.
I am keeping it from the people Ion Britton described.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Oh come on! Do you really believe that we consider ourselves the secret keepers of metal? I personally wouldn't have shared anything if i was thinking that way.

Anyway, i'll try to make it clearer though my English won't help expressing my thoughts the way it should. FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, many people are in Heavy Metal just for showing off. They don't give a shit about the music, their only worries are which T-shirts, earrings or tight jeans they'll have to wear on Saturday night and which albums they should own because they're ''rare & cult" and few know them. FUCK those people. I have nothing to do with them. And it's very possible that after a few years they'll stop doing anything that has to do with metal because it will remind them of their old, naive, pseudorebellious, foolish days of their life. They will grow old then and get serious. No time for kid music. Jerks...

Certainlt i'm not the one who will judge the worthyness of every metalhead and every future generation but it's at least naive to believe that every newcomer really believes what he's doing. Some kids want to listen to Heathen's Rage before they listen to Queensryche or Savage Grace! Very tr00 indeed!

If you think that Metal will be saved and preserved till the end of time by spreading everything to anyone who wants it, well, go ahead and do it. I won't.

And you know, sometimes, it's a pleasure struggling to find something than have it before you immediately whenever you like. It's the thrill of the hunt, man, 5 DVDs full of mp3s which are burned in 1 hour will never ever give you the same pleasure. Years of collecting and trading stuff are not the same with burning DVDs in a couple of hours. I hope you know what i mean.
Last edited by ION BRITTON on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
UriahHeep

Post by UriahHeep »

I've got over 800 metal cover songs and there's no way I'd randomly let someone jack them all. 20, 30, 50, sure - but not all of them. That's just a matter of principle, though.

Then again, sharing is ultimately vital. Someone had to share with you for you to acquire your collection so it just stands to reason that you should share with others. Not that you aren't entitled to use discretion when you deem necessary.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I think the title of the topic is not exactly what's being discussed. We don't have Sharerers against NON-Sharerers here, it's more like Careful/Cautious Sharing against Sharing Everything imo. And we're referring to sharing rare stuff of course, not Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast and Metallica's Master of Puppets.
Last edited by ION BRITTON on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Thanks for the topic split Dan.

I don't know what Helm is getting at here, the people I don't like sharing with are the people who join this forum just to loot the music. The way he talks we should welcome such people with open arms?

I am more than happen to fill requests of people at this forum,but the regular posters actually deserve the music and discuss music, they aren't some random idiots who fly in and take music and say nothing more.