Believers and metalheads at the same time???

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Mr Nuke

Believers and metalheads at the same time???

Post by Mr Nuke »

Did you meet some of them? I recently got in contact with a women from Croatia. She has great Metal knowledge, but some of her talks clearly indicates that she's catholic (I didn't wanted to ask her too abruptly). Then I got got contact with some Malaysian guys for an interview and they admitted clearly to be muslims.
A friend in Turkey told me that most Metal bands are made by muslim persons, so he doesn't support them (this guy is himself a serious satanist, and I'm not joking).

We spoke several times here of christian bands, but what of christian metalheads? Or jewish and muslim metalheads? What's your opinion? Don't you think that listening to some overtly satanic bands is a kind of contradiction for those who do? How do you deal personnaly with them?

I was really disappointed myself. Some were nice people for sure, and dedicated ones, but that's difficult do deal with when for you metal is somewhat the devils music (Hell Rock'n'Roll to say it otherwise). Seriously, I'm 30 yo and, if I knew the existence of religious bands, I barely dealt personnally with religious persons into Metal, except for satanists or neo-pagans, that is. In fact, I met a lot of religious persons, but 99,9% of them weren't metalheads.
Gott ist tot.
Helm

Post by Helm »

If I can enjoy Heavy Metal that glorifies god (and I do) while being godless, then why can't religious people appreciate the devil's music without having to accept the beliefs of the people making it (it's a rhetorical question, I know most of the time it doesn't work like this because religion is fundamentalist, but I'm just saying perhaps sometimes it can be like this)? As long as the ideology is not pressed on the listener and articulated respectfully I have no problem with it. I can listen to Savior Machine but I can't listen to Stryper, for example. Perhaps likewise christians can listen to secular bands too, even if it doesn't have to be Deicide and Immolation.

I've got no problem personally with people of faith who are metalheads, nor do I see any contradiction. Or to be more exact, real people are a huge jumble of contradictions anyway on many inherent levels so another one doesn't really set them apart from me the 'secular metalhead'. If their love for the music is true, we will find common ground.

Which doesn't really say I won't attempt to subvert their faith discreetly if they seem to allow it of me. I'm just a natural entropic mechanism, I'm doing what I'm made to do!
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I haven't come across to christian metal heads. Considering that there are plenty of metal heads with a bad taste and fucked up personality already the chances that they would be any better in my point of view are very little.
But personally I don't care about what ppl believe in as long as they're not fundamentalists or trying to change me.
Though, some times when I'm drinking with ppl that believe in god I start to discuss about morals, religions, their god figure, and all of that crap with them. Not that it's bad but I'd rather use that time for drinking some more booze. :lol:

nihil nihil nihil
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Sure, I know a lot of them, as a member of No Life til Metal / Metal Metropolis forum. Check out www.nolifetilmetal.com (although his Slayer page is a total joke, or perhaps the Mercyful Fate :) ) and www.metal-metropolis.com as well.

For the Christian bands, I'm OK with them, but I really don't like the over-preachy stuff (like Vengeance Rising or co.)

Here's also one interesting topic from their forum :)

http://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/Main- ... t598-0.htm

Unfortunately this CD is marred by terrible "all hail Satan" lyrics. Was this just done for shock value? Perhaps, although Mercyful Fate mainman King Diamond is a confessing Satanist. Perhaps most will view this as simply equivelant to watching a horror film or reading a fiction novel. I don't think anyone in their right mind would take them seriously, but either way the lyrics totally ruin the album for me making it almost unlistenable. Truly sad that a band with as much talent as this chose to use it to praise a loser rather than use it for the glory of the God that gave them their talent and abilities.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

"Truly sad that a band with as much talent as this chose to use it to praise a loser rather than use it for the glory of the God that gave them their talent and abilities." AJIghadgsjsydjljhlk,hdplkjgdjfd.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

That guy from No Life Til Metal is another christian joker who thinks christians are discriminated against.
This is the black metal disc that caused people to boycott and send nasty hate mail to Nuclear Blast. Why? Because this band supports Christian ideas. Funny how it's a crime to censor anyone except someone who holds to Christian values. Hmmm...
Ok then...

He focuses on lyrics way too much no matter how un-intelligible or irrelevant they may be.

He can't handle anything that isn't recorded fairly perfectly or anything that isn't fairly easy on the ears.

These christians seem to claim the bands they disagree with lyrically are merely "entertainment like tv or a movie" but their beloved christian bands are so amazing and are "art".
Last edited by FenderMedium on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I am a christian(not religious) and a metalhead.That´s didn´t prevent me to sing Mercyful Fate´s and Sarcofago´s lyrics and countless others any time.On the other hand i love not Stryper,Emerald,Barren Cross,messiah not for what they say but for their music. 8) I really don´t see any point in this thread.Imagine that also Tom Araya is christian(and if i am not wrong he is quite religious) and many more.To be christian doesn´t mean that you dress like...,go to church,not drinking not fucking not,not not it´s just a belief we all seem to seek about a superior force and mean of goodness.
The most 80´s Heavy Metal musicians were believing in god but they were not religious or they turned to christianity later.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

I don't care what bands sing about unless they're pro-peadophilia NAMBLA Metal or something , I just regard bands that sing about God & Jesus as no different from bands that sing about other fictional characters -it's all just fantasy lyrics to me.
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

There is a difference in believing in a higher power and ascribing to belief of a Christian god,most of these people who believe in a Christian god but don't go to church are still trying to assert moral authority and claim satanic lyrics are a joke or offend them so much, yet they turn around and claim Christian lyrics are amazing and are so serious, It seems metal is nothing more to than them than some cheap entertainment unless its a Christian band then its so awesome to them,most of these people don't accept any criticism of Christianity in general but are quick to say any other view point is a joke and then have the nerve to get offended when someone says their Christian views are a joke.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Christianity is gay. End of discussion.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

mordred wrote:Christianity is gay. End of discussion.
Explanations are, obviously, gay too :lol:
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

I've heard from numerous greek-americans they stayed within the greek orthodox church just to meet other greeks and be around other greeks and not necessarily because they believed.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Calling things "gay" is nearly as bad.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
mordred

Post by mordred »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
Calling things "gay" is nearly as bad.
But at least not as gay. 8)
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
DMR

Post by DMR »

the erlking wrote:"Truly sad that a band with as much talent as this chose to use it to praise a loser rather than use it for the glory of the God that gave them their talent and abilities." AJIghadgsjsydjljhlk,hdplkjgdjfd.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
What makes them think it was God who gave Mercyful Fate their talent and not Satan?