77-79 Style Punk Rock For Corroseum Metalheads

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
bigfootkit

77-79 Style Punk Rock For Corroseum Metalheads

Post by bigfootkit »

A few of us have ben having a conversation on this topic here: https://thecorroseum.org/forum/viewtopi ... 93#p185093 but it seems worthy of an individual thread, so here it is. DaN, you may feel this is too-far off-topic for 'Into Battle', so please feel free to move it to 'Land Of Mystery' in that case. And if a helpful admin feels like merging that initial discussion from the other thread here it would save having to explain what we're looking to discuss. Thanks in advance.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Kraignoss666

Re: 77-79 Style Punk Rock For Corroseum Metalheads

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Think I can start with an obvious one: SONIC’S RENDEZ-VOUS BAND « City slang ». This single just has anything a Corro freak should need: killer riffs, raspy production, kind of epic in its progression (never gets boring during its 5 minutes lenght), biting solos, adrenaline, teenage angst…
Are we going the right direction guys?

Last edited by Kraignoss666 on Sat May 27, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Not sure it fits, but the best example for Italy was Decibel ''New York" (1978 not 1979 as written in the video, I think)

The singer Enrico Ruggeri became very famous in Italy as a pop soloist in 80s and later decades.
malegys

Post by malegys »

Classic DICTATORS from 1977, with a TWISTED SISTER link :
"Do you like Wenom?"
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:07 pm Think I can start with an obvious one: SONIC’S RENDEZ-VOUS BAND « City slang ». This single just has anything a Corro freak should need: killer riffs, raspy production, kind of epic in its progression (never gets boring during its 5 minutes lenght), biting solos, adrenaline, teenage angst…
Are we going the right direction guys?
Absolutely! City Slang remains an astoundingly monolithic piece of work, a song so good it didn't need a follow-up or even a B-side. The perfect blend of Heavy Rock & Punk attitude.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Strychnine – Jack The Ripper (1978)

Soggy - Waiting For The War (1981- but sounds earlier)

Dead Boys - Ain't Nothin' To Do (1977)

malegys

Post by malegys »

Filthy guitar & bass on this Punk Rock gem. Lots of heavy energy too :
"Do you like Wenom?"
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Good stuff all the way! Soggy should be mentioned more often, they truly were pretty unique with that sound in France at the time. This Strychnine song is a banger as well, and Unnatural Axe is indeed a classic of its own!
Maybe what I’ll say is so well known in the vinyl/collector scenes, but for those willing to dig into obscure punk territories, there is one site to go to, and it’s:
http://www.kbdrecords.com/
When looking for obscure metal records, I was searching for the equivalent of this site in the metal world, which I finally happily found here at the Corroseum. So you know where you can dig, but maybe everybody knows it so well (if so, sorry for the waste of time).
I will try to stick to one song every post to make sure I’ll stay in the true spirit of the thread, and as this conversation started with the first Saints album, let’s stay in Australia with another cult band. They’re pretty known, but who cares, it’s just perfection:

All their early stuff is A class material, tight, rock to the bone, enthusiastic music for the soul. Maybe not heavy enough for every metalheads around, but sure a must listen for everyone into tight high energy rock’n’roll.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:14 pmSoggy should be mentioned more often, they truly were pretty unique with that sound in France at the time.
I agree that Soggy don;t get there due but I do hear some traces of those same Detroit influences in some Shakin' Street & Fuzz stuff too, (but Fuzz were a bit too sloppy to really pull it off).
I've tried to get into Radio Birdman a few times over the years but i find their sound just a bit too polite, something you couldn't accuse their fellow countrymen X of :

X - Oxford Street Nick (1985, but written & played live from 1977)

Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Satan’s fans single is indeed… sloppy…
Sure, the Birdmen were not the heaviest around, and X is also amazing (discovered them on the « Why march when you can riot » comp, a gem that is far from the present topic, but a gem anyway).
Another french rarity that I always considered almost metal, from the agressive guitar tone to the songwriting that is definitely not rock’n’roll anymore. Still punk as fuck, but could fit to the Corroseum esthetics (other members, just let us know…):
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Nice! Hadn't heard that Gasoline track before, really good stuff.
Morbid Tapes

Post by Morbid Tapes »

This one is a given, but the 3rd Damned LP, Machine Gun Etiquette (1979), should be of appeal to a lot of metalheads. RIP Algy Ward.

doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I guess it goes without saying we have to have this early Plasmatics material in the thread.
20230530_080921~2.jpg
20230530_080921~2.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 4154 times

and a total live gem at CBGB's:

All I'm seeing are youtube videos. Anyone have any records, tapes or cds to share in the thread?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

A few records mentioned above already represent, good call.

20230530_091227~2.jpg
20230530_091227~2.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4153 times
Thanks for the tip on the kbd link, I see they have a number of Misfits singles, I think I have to snag those!
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

doomedplanet wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:05 pm All I'm seeing are youtube videos. Anyone have any records, tapes or cds to share in the thread?
Not sure about your request… Would you like more than just songs, but name of records that you could go for?

The Plasmatics were indeed extreme from the start, and completely metal on their 3rd LP. Early Damned is also very enjoyable (the « Damned, Damned, Damned » LP is also recommended).

Today’s suggestion is a live performance from Pure Hell (check their « Noise addiction » reissue, killer release!):

They also recorded a song with Lemmy on the 90ies that is just so great: